Deaf Man hit by train

Soonersseth

Reaction score
Deaf man struck by train
By Derek Frazier

A 30-year-old deaf man was struck by a train at the intersection of Mississippi and Arlington at approximately 11:30 Wednesday morning.

“I thought he was drunk or something, and pretty soon he had enough reality about it and said ‘I’m deaf,’” Larry Cole, eyewitness to the accident said. “So we kept him with his eyes open. He stepped across there [the train tracks], and it looked like he was challenging the train. It probably knocked him in the air 20 feet and it split open his head on the back.”

The man, whose identity has yet to be released, was transported to Valley View Regional Hospital.

Cole said the man was still conscious and comprehended everything that had happened.

“He was walking across, along the edge of the street and he just got hit,” eyewitness Jimmy Bays said.

AdaEveningNews.com - Ada, Oklahoma - Deaf man struck by train

It looks like the man 'thought' he could get across before the train came...amazing after he was hit, he was still conscious...wonder how he is coping now and hopefully he is going to pull through.

~RR

If he's still barely alive.. miracle
If He's still out .... btw sorry he's gone!

Scary for me and carefully pedestrian across the train tracks. I tend slow down look around the train tracks and to make sure coast and clear *zoom fast as can I drive* some of area there have no pedestrian arm border and pretty not good sight!

Whoa I'm surprised he made it out alive, amazing, I would never try to beat a train, sure enough wouldn't dare try to walk or run across a train track if I see a train coming..:eek3:

He was lucky that he wasnt killed! Being under the influence of alcohol is scary isnt it?

Luckily not killed! The similiar accident happened to one deaf woman in TX (I think it was TX, not sure though) Unfortunately, she was killed. She was walking along the tracks, using her pager to talk to her friends, not realizing that the train was up coming toward her back and the train struck her, the woman was being chopped up under the train. I think it happened last year or 2 years before.

AdaEveningNews.com - Ada, Oklahoma - Victim hit by train recovering

Victim hit by train recovering

ADA — An Ada man who was struck by a train Wednesday is recovering in good condition, according to his wife.

Christopher Riggins, 22, Ada, was struck by a train Wednesday morning, knocking him in the air approximately 20 feet, according to eyewitnesses. His wife, Sarah, said he is recovering.

“He’s fine, considering he got hit by a train,” Sarah said. “He’s a blessing in disguise.”

According to Sarah, Christopher is blind in his right eye and did not see the train coming, and that he was walking to work.

She said he normally can see the guards coming down, but at this particular intersection located at Mississippi and Arlington, there are none.

soonerseth,
Thanks for update.

No wonder, He has one right blind eye and didn't see the train was came..

I'm glad He's recovery as well.

Luckily not killed! The similiar accident happened to one deaf woman in TX (I think it was TX, not sure though) Unfortunately, she was killed. She was walking along the tracks, using her pager to talk to her friends, not realizing that the train was up coming toward her back and the train struck her, the woman was being chopped up under the train. I think it happened last year or 2 years before.

yea, i remeber that story from about 2yrs ago..

kinda sad.. :(

Damn!! No wonder, u got that right word abt that blind...which like me!! I have left blind eye as well and when I am driving I always keep looking both side for when u stop at stop signs... both sides for several times to be sure all clear before I go across or right or left...either way...always keep look both sides! Damn I am glad he is alive but geez hit by train... no way not for me, thanks!

yea... tara something... she went to mssd... it was very sad... and yes she was from texas... i think she was talking to her mom via her pager bout meeting her or something... jeez!

That fella is very lucky to be alive, especially when being hit head-on by a train. It seems like it was not his "time" to be departing from the earth, yet that is.

I'm glad that guy got out of harm's way, especially when he was amazingly saved from that.

This story reminded me of one gally student who got killed by train last year. I forgot her name thou'.

before im graduation from my old school when my mom got mail from my old school about 15 years old got killed by train accident but i went his funeral and im felt sorry for his family.

but who not watch this 15 years old when he died but 2 teacher got fired for not responsibles of 15 years old and they someone says 15 years old got killed by train about 15 feet what so crazy!!

He was blind in one eye? That's no excuse for not seeing a train.

It's like slamming the door and saying you didn't know cuz you're deaf.

This story reminded me of one gally student who got killed by train last year. I forgot her name thou'.

Yes, I was thinking the same, I believe she was "Miss USA", pretty young lady.

This time, is lucky for this man, phew!

He was blind in one eye? That's no excuse for not seeing a train.

It's like slamming the door and saying you didn't know cuz you're deaf.

there are variety ways to be blind. many times you can look as something motion that eyes does overlook. I have that problem.

Back