Deaf man attacked by police...

You would think by now, the law officers would have been educated about deaf and hoh people. Geeez. That's scary!

Just terrible....and it's happening more often too....Many lawsuits were filed in my city against JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office)...All the deaf community got was "apologies" and the Sheriff saying he would require his Officers to learn "sign language"....pffftt!...

I do hope these Officers are fired....(wishful thinking) tho'....

Prosecutors and police work hand in hand, so they will probably walk.

This thread should be merge with Signin'? That's worth a beatin'!
in the Deaf News, right here. :roll:

This thread should be merge with Signin'? That's worth a beatin'!
in the Deaf News, right here. :roll:

I was wondering if some of these were reports of the same incidents but from different papers or web sites.

I always wonder how accurate media reports are about an incident. There are so many details left out and sometimes you wonder about the potential of bias by the reporter in trying to make it look a certain way.

It seems to me that you just don't pull your arm/hand away from a police offer if they grab it or else they're going to take it the wrong way. I would expect it would be very rare for a cop to use force if the person didn't resist in some way or in a way that seemed like resistance. One thing I wouldn't do in a tense situation is make any sudden movement including trying to sign to them.

Are you so sure? Not every prosecutor would charge every cop every time. I don't buy that! You NEVER know! There is no such thing as 100% favoritism-free departments.

Not here. Prosecutors have charged cops here before. They are just like everybody else if they commit a crime.

Not here. Prosecutors have charged cops here before. They are just like everybody else if they commit a crime.

BULLSHIT and you know it.

what happens to pigs and or what happens to you or i if we did the same thing is not the same......

wake up

Cops REALLY need to take asl classes as an requirement so they won't mess or hurt other people when they don't even understand what they are saying! Hearing people think deaf people don't understand them but it's actually the other way around. They do not understand us. They do not understand what it is like to live as a deaf person and every deaf person have different rates of hearing, some can speak while some others can't but seriously, most of them do know sign language so it is best to learn sign language with them in case. Sigh, it appears that nobody really cares about how different the deaf culture is from their own preferred culture or whatever they call it.

Back