Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

I don't know, but I think you got personal with me. all I said that growing up was a complicated issue, and unless you walk in my shoe, you wouldn't understand it.

I agree. Each person's life experience is different, so you can't assume your life is the same as the children today. Many, many things have changed, and technology is just one.

I agree. Each person's life experience is different, so you can't assume your life is the same as the children today. Many, many things have changed, and technology is just one.

and some things don't ever change. The view of deafness is the same as always.

and some things don't ever change. The view of deafness is the same as always.

I disagree. I think views have changed. 200 years ago a deaf child was seen as a curse from God. 100 years ago people thought the deaf were uneducatable. 50 years ago there were no interpreters. Today we have VP, terps, the ADA, CC, and educational options for children. The majority of people are aware of ASL and Deaf culture, and in a positive way. And I also believe that kids are getting better services and educations.

I think those are huge changes!

I disagree. I think views have changed. 200 years ago a deaf child was seen as a curse from God. 100 years ago people thought the deaf were uneducatable. 50 years ago there were no interpreters. Today we have VP, terps, the ADA, CC, and educational options for children. The majority of people are aware of ASL and Deaf culture, and in a positive way. And I also believe that kids are getting better services and educations.

That is mostly true, but there were some interpreters I know. My dad's friend, another CODA was a policeman and the interpreter for the police.
I was a baby then so I don't know about a lot of others, but these were family friends.

That is mostly true, but there were some interpreters I know. My dad's friend, another CODA was a policeman and the interpreter for the police.
I was a baby then so I don't know about a lot of others, but these were family friends.

I meant trained, professional interpreters. I'm sure as long as there have been deaf people there have been people facilitating between the hearing and the deaf.

Ok then why arent deaf people getting the same opportunties in the working field. Why do many of my friends with college degrees and stuff continue to interview and interview but still dont get the jobs they went to college for or get passed on promotions? I still say the discrimination and oppression is still there.

actually I ran into alot of people who still think deafness is a personal curse from God. And we woudn't have those things (VP, terps, ADA, CC, etc.) if we didn't speak up about it. Therefore, some things don't change. We still have to do all the speaking and the fighting.

Ok then why arent deaf people getting the same opportunties in the working field. Why do many of my friends with college degrees and stuff continue to interview and interview but still dont get the jobs they went to college for or get passed on promotions? I still say the discrimination and oppression is still there.

I didn't say the world is perfect, I just said we have come a long way. To say that the view on deafness hasn't changed is untrue. We need to continue to fight, but in truth, it's the best time to be deaf in the history of the world.

actually I ran into alot of people who still think deafness is a personal curse from God. And we woudn't have those things (VP, terps, ADA, CC, etc.) if we didn't speak up about it. Therefore, some things don't change. We still have to do all the speaking and the fighting.

And there are a lot of dumbass KKK people out there too, but that doesn't mean race relations haven't improved in the last 300 years.

I didn't say the world is perfect, I just said we have come a long way. To say that the view on deafness hasn't changed is untrue. We need to continue to fight, but in truth, it's the best time to be deaf in the history of the world.

The view that people with deafness are considered inferior by society really hasnt changed. I think that is what Lighthouse is referring to.

That's right. It's new technology in 21 century is extreme improve than 19 and 20 century. Personal, I don't care about history. It can't change into past from today. I am interesting into high technology.

The view that people with deafness are considered inferior by society really hasnt changed. I think that is what Lighthouse is referring to.

And I disagree. I think if you ask 1000 random people if deaf people are as smart, capable, and hardworking as hearing people, 999 will say yes.

I am curious how one guages the current view by society. Are there any sources of this information or of current statistics?

I am curious how one guages the current view by society. Are there any sources of this information or of current statistics?

Personal experience shared by so many deaf people in the community.

Back