Deaf Identity Theft

brotheryellow

Reaction score
Why did I not know who I am? I explore this in my most recent post on my blog. The painting is by Nancy Rourke. We can use writing and painting to express how we feel. The more people know what Deaf people think, the better. When did you learn about your Deafhood?

Since I became bilateral DEAF - December 20, 2006 - I have never contemplated "Deafhood". Presumably something to do with the other construction="Hearinghood".

aside: I don't recall any alteration in my perception of my self-to date.
I have asked in this forum exactly what "Deafhood" is- to date no concrete answer.

I have asked in this forum exactly what "Deafhood" is- to date no concrete answer.

Deafhood is just like Womanhood or Black Pride, it is the mental state of identifying with the embodiment we possess, instead of denying it, like dysconscious audism. Deafhood is the journey or process we go through in this life where we make sense of things on the basis of being Deaf as the reason we experience life the way we do..

Why in the world would you want to tie your identity up into something your body can't do? That, for one thing, is egotistical. For another, it can't possibly be good for your mental health, leading to obsession and anger at the world.

So ick. YOU are not ears. It would just be a constantly feeding a very unhealthy part if your psyche. It could only result in unhappiness.

Deafhood is just like Womanhood or Black Pride, it is the mental state of identifying with the embodiment we possess, instead of denying it, like dysconscious audism. Deafhood is the journey or process we go through in this life where we make sense of things on the basis of being Deaf as the reason we experience life the way we do..

You sound like you're Ella Mae Lent'z son or something.....:lol: J/K, no hate mail, please.

[yt]C9rnpCW4e-w[/yt]

For those who don't know who Tousi refers to.

Why in the world would you want to tie your identity up into something your body can't do? That, for one thing, is egotistical. For another, it can't possibly be good for your mental health, leading to obsession and anger at the world.

So ick. YOU are not ears. It would just be a constantly feeding a very unhealthy part if your psyche. It could only result in unhappiness.

Agreed. I am aware that I am a deaf person, but that is only part of who I am. Who am I? Woman, daughter, sister, writer, student, employee, friend, proud furbaby mama (my terrier dog), Democrat, heterosexual, LGBTQ supporter, theist, functionally deaf but culturally hearing, the list goes on. I never have considered myself a disabled person, not even once. My identity is based on what I affiliate myself with and what I can do, not on the fact I can't hear. It is more important that you use what you have in between the ears than the ears itself to make meaningful contributions as a member of society. That's just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

Last edited:
Back