Deaf-Friendly Driving Schools?

JABRU41

Reaction score
Hey,

Any deaf-friendly driving schools in NYC?

I am from uk and over here to find a deaf friendly driving instructor are called.
Deaf Aware driving instructors.
I hope this helps. But all hearing or most hearing schools will have at least one instructor to help with disabled learner drivers. (This has been my findings only in the uk)

Thank you for your response. It is very difficult in America to find at least one instructor that is able to communicate with deaf driver in some forms of sign language.

When I took driving class in high school.. I had interpreter. After completing tests and start driving... My interpreter taught my instructor few signs such as like turn left or right... Change lane, Stop. It made things much easier for me. :)

I did too. take driving training in high school in the Mountains....After that, only had to take the test and vision...so far still a "Safe Driver"....

I never went to driving school nor took a driving class. I had drivers' permit and practiced my driving skills. I was taught to drive by my older brother. Passing written exam was a breeze, but driving skill was a must for me. During driving test, I did fail my first exam. I had to retake exam for the second time and passed. I had no interpreter. I was able to understand my instructor's gestures. She wrote down the paper in order to communicate with me and I replied back.

Thank you for your response. It is very difficult in America to find at least one instructor that is able to communicate with deaf driver in some forms of sign language.
Teach your instructor some basic signs right before the lesson starts. I took driving classes on Long Island. I did not have any major problems.

That is a really good idea, why didn't I think about that :) thanks for this, might help in my next lesson

I only used interpreters in classroom, not in car,

You can also use the “Otter” app as an iPad/Laptop free classroom interpreter so nobody needs to be in the classroom. A classroom voice-to-text interpreter for free!

For driving behind wheel, I used a good defensive driving school in Canada with a driver willing to pre-agree to about 10 signs, that included minimum basics. Keep it simple.

- switch one lane left (palm pats air to left), also used to choose left on fork road
- switch one lane right (palm pats air to right), also used to choose right on fork road
- turn left at next left (thumbs left)
- turn right at next right (thumbs right)
- straight ahead (“palm chop” with palm vertical, fingers pointing forward)
- slow down (palm patting air downwards)
- stop (standard open palm, stiff and assertive like a police traffic cop)
- pull over (“move lane right” signing followed by signing “stop”)
- thumbs up (confirmation my previous move was good)

No pointing is allowed, that gets confusing without context, and due to parallax/lean. No speaking or complex communications until pulled over.

Last edited:
Back