Deaf Fourth-Grader is a Spelling Bee Champ

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf Fourth-Grader is a Spelling Bee Champ

Emily Neal is a spelling bee champ – a remarkable accomplishment considering she’s deaf.

You would never know it, though, by talking with the standout student – a fourth-grader at Chesapeake Elementary.

She can spell words such as “bildungsroman” with ease.

Emily’s mother, Shelley Neal, is understandably proud of her daughter who only hears with a cochlear implant.

“I just felt blessed that God chose me to be her mother,” Shelley Neal said. “I didn't question why."

While she didn’t question why Emily was born deaf, it certainly hasn’t held her back.

Emily speaks so well that you wouldn't guess she only hears with the cochlear implant -- a device mostly hidden under her hair.

“She doesn't let that stop her one bit,” Shelley Neal said. “She has high expectations, as well as I do for her."

Amy McCallister, who is Emily’s teacher, said she’s amazed by Emily’s accomplishments, as well as the technology that helps her understand language.

Emily won her class spelling bee, her school spelling bee, her regional spelling bee and came in second in the county. The trophies are her badge of courage.

In the county spelling bee, she went 23 rounds with an eighth-grader twice her size.

Emily said her goal is to go to the national spelling bee in Washington and win the $5,000 prize. Her community is so proud of Emily's accomplishments that she is on the electronic billboard in front of the Walmart and Sam's Club along U.S. 52 in the South Point area.

That's awesome.

I have entered the spelling bee twice myself - once in 4th grade and once in 8th grade. I won the 8th grade one 1st place out of all the kids in middle school.

My son was not allowed to be in spelling bee contest when he was in school because he knows ASL. He was best speller in his whole school. Now I read this and made me so mad that they won't let my son in contest with other kids. Anyway I am not impress with her being great speller, I knew so many deaf people are best spellers too.

My son was not allowed to be in spelling bee contest when he was in school because he knows ASL. He was best speller in his whole school. Now I read this and made me so mad that they won't let my son in contest with other kids. Anyway I am not impress with her being great speller, I knew so many deaf people are best spellers too.

What?! That's discrimination! That's like saying a kid can't enter the contest because he knows Spanish.

I think they are afraid that a friend in the audience would fingerspell the word to help out the contestant - AKA cheating. Still I think one could mouth the letters to help the contestant. The best way is to have no audience at all or place the contestants where they couldn't see the audience.

Yup, the research indicates that deaf kids are awesome at spelling.

I don't know why the fact that she is a good speller is such a surprise considering she is deaf. I was always the best speller of my class (all the other kids were hearing) because I read a lot.

*chuckles* I won 2nd place for the best speller in elementary. I suck today, lol.

It is a big deal

It is a big deal for a deaf child to be able to spell. She placed second in her state. This girl is brilliant! She has a photographic memory! I know, because I'm her Mom!

Last edited:
It is a big deal for a deaf child to be able to spell. She placed second in her state. I don't think you all understand what kinds of words they have to spell at the state level. It's not like everyday vocabulary. Also, for a deaf child with cochlear implants to hear all the different tones and pitches...THAT is a miracle...sheesh! You all are getting offended easily. No one said deaf people weren't smart. This girl is brilliant! She has a photographic memory! I know, because I'm her MOM!

What's your problem?

No one at all said they were offended.

All agreed that deaf people tend to be better spellers.

It is a big deal

I was referring to deaftim's post.

Last edited:
It is a big deal for a deaf child to be able to spell. She placed second in her state. This girl is brilliant! She has a photographic memory! I know, because I'm her Mom!

I have a feeling that you push her to be like the hearing person because you are hearing. Just have to know it is a big deal. :(

I have a feeling that you push her to be like the hearing person because you are hearing. Just have to know it is a big deal. :(

I prayed about the cochlear implant before she received one. It was not a quick decision. It was my obligation to do right by her and God gave me peace. The deaf community does not receive all the positive results of the implant...just the negatives. She is part of the hearing AND the deaf world....that makes her very fortunate.

I am not argumentative. I was not trying to fight. I simply took it a different way and I do not see that response by deaftim. My apologies.

I am not argumentative. I was not trying to fight. I simply took it a different way and I do not see that response by deaftim. My apologies.

That's what the sign means. The written part is his signature and is not directed at you. It is just at the bottom of each of his posts.

And you are breaking rules when you start ranting about your religion.

I prayed about the cochlear implant before she received one. It was not a quick decision. It was my obligation to do right by her and God gave me peace. The deaf community does not receive all the positive results of the implant...just the negatives. She is part of the hearing AND the deaf world....that makes her very fortunate.

Religious posting is not allowed.

Exactly....Beo, many parents DO expose their kids to both worlds...It isn't always an "either or" thing.
And Parent, I do want to commend you for reconizing that....even thou she's mainstreamed and has good verbal skills, she can still benefit from ASL and stuff like Deaf camps! The best of both worlds! I do see parents making the mistake that HOH functioning= "Oh they don't "need" Deaf stuff.
And just so you know, there are Deaf people who use the CI! Some successfully (ie they're functionally HOH)

Back