Deaf folks: What is your occupation, and educational background?

I'm a Sociology major, pending to enter a Masters programme doing thesis only...then dunno what next? Maybe a PhD im not looking that far ahead at this time...taking thing at a time..

CPA, Costs Accounting/bookeeping. Not so glamorous, but it's a decent living. ;)

I see dead people. But that doesn't pay. So my paying gig is as an assistant instructor in traditional Japanese martial arts. Goju ryu karate do to be precise.

Anyone ever in the area are welcome to drop in to the dojo.
Hoichi-the earless

I bet it would be very hard to get dead people to pay you money.

Currently working on Masters in Deaf Ed, completed BA in English Literature. Employed variously at various times.

Things I have done:

Pro Rodeo Cowboy
Construction Contractor
House Painter
Golf Course Maintenance
Teacher
Tutor
Various Retail p/t Jobs
Bookseller
Clerk
Courier/Delivery

in other words, anything anyone will hire me for that will pay my bills.

Things I have been turned down for as a result of my hearing loss (but qualified for on everything else):

Sheriff's Deputy
USMC Officer's Candidate Training
USArmy
US Air Force
US Navy
Merchant Marines
Coast Guard

Things I do for fun:
Write Fiction
Hunt
Scuba dive (certified to 210 feet)
Hike
Camp
Photography
treasure Hunt/Gold Panning

Spend time with my son and wife and love the hell out of them every chance I can.

BA in Cultural and Social Analysis. Currently exploring options for postgraduate study in anthropology.

Currently unemployed as of last Sunday - resigned from my position as a team member in a major supermarket.

I'm a blogger and I run my own blog.

Oh I forgot to report me here

degree in sociology of communication and currently working as employee.

In my free time I undertake to squeeze the toothpaste tube: a good sport.

For fingers .... :D

I work for the newspaper (not a reporter, just do public records and daily calendars, random letters to the editor), and am in college taking classes and hoping to get into the radiography program.

deaf school from K-6, mainstreamed the rest of my public schooling years with interpreters and TOD checking in. college was a failure for me after high school, due to depression issues and whatnot. But college is working out for me now since my mental state is much better and I can focus better. really want to get out of the newspaper job and in a better job hopefully, doing xrays.

Huh? Turbo on a bike? How the heck does that work? I've used turbo on a 250 and 750 motorcycle - that was awesome and even made the 250 turbo fun (and safer) to ride.

Steinhauser,
Your signature is mind blowing.

Thanks. I think I need to see if that can be turned into a bumper sticker.

The toughest job known to man.... :ugh: Seriously, I couldn't do it!

Can you imagine working full time and then going home to another full time job...being a mother? It is tough.

Yes I agree. lol

Especially when they were babies. When I first went back to work after 2 months of maternity leave, teaching 2nd graders all day and then coming home to a baby who still wasn't sleeping through the night and then having to get up to teach. Thank goodness my son is older and is more independent!

Back