Deaf Education - One size does not fit all

shel90 - I am not talking about ASL, I am talking about English.

Yes, and this parent has already enrolled her child in a bi-bi school, and is using ASL as her L1 language, with English as her L2 language. She obviously is on top of the situation.

shel90 - I am not talking about ASL, I am talking about English.

That's fine. In my belief, it is important for children to develop a strong L1 language first so of course, I dont think about which language it is. That's now how I think.

That's fine. In my belief, it is important for children to develop a strong L1 language first so of course, I dont think about which language it is. That's now how I think.
Can I ask which language you believe should be L1?

While reading some articles for another thread I came across additional support for the theory that one size doesn't fit all and thought it would be appropriate in this thread as well.

Here is an excerpt from the conclusion of an article that examines the claims to a bibi approach of literacy education.

“This critical examination of some of the most frequent claims made by supporters of bilingual-bicultural models of literacy education for deaf students questions the viability of these claims as sufficient foundation and basis for justifying the pedagogical argument. In raising this question our goal is not to argue that these claims are “right” or “wrong.” This would contribute little to an already prolonged debate and would pander to the fallacious notion that there is one “best” and only way to educate deaf children. Nor should this criticism be seen as the basis for making a general argument against bilingual education for deaf students. This is a point we made at the outset. However, if this approach to educating deaf children is to be seen as appropriate for the larger numbers of students, its tenets and theoretical foundations must be able to withstand close examination, and its proponents cannot conveniently ignore the current theory, knowledge, and research data that do not fit the model.”

You can find the full text here
Bilingual-bicultural models of literacy education for deaf students: considering the claims -- Mayer and Akamatsu 4 (1): 1 -- The Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education

Historically, research has shown
that hearing loss itself should not be
used to rationalize the low level of deaf
children's academic performance.
Deaf children are in every respect as
capable of achieving academic excellence
as their hearing counterparts.
The members of the Deaf community
believe that even though there are a
multitude of variables that contribute
to the achievement and success of
deaf children, language is the common
thread that brings these variables
together. Cummins (1986) expressed
the belief that students who were empowered
by their school experiences
developed the ability, confidence, and
motivation to succeed academically
This empowerment of deaf children
cKcurs when the teachers and the students
share a commcjn language; when
communication is effective, expedient,
and clear; and when a sense of belonging
and group identity Ls instilled. Natural
communication through ASL
provides deaf children the opportunity
to interact freely with knowledge
about subject matter as well as with
teachers and peers. It is such an environment
that allows for maximum academic,
social, and emotional growth.

Simms, L. & Thumann, H. (2007). In search of a new, linguistically and culturally sensitive paradigm in deaf education. American Annals of the Deaf. 152(3). pp. 302-311.

Rockdrummer,

I understand your one size fits all. However, I'm curious as to what exactly do you want the doctors/audiologists to say to the parents who have no idea what to do for their deaf child? Ideally we want the parents to do their own research but this is not always or even mostly the case. Do you want the experts to tell the parents "Oh hey theres a whole buncha options, pick one!" giving the description of each method available but not really telling them which has a higher probability of being successful?

Oh and if it isn't obvious already, Im TOTALLY jumping into this thread without reading all the past posts (Im only on page 4 so far!)

Can I ask which language you believe should be L1?

My belief is ASL since it is fully accessible to deaf children cuz we never know how much access deaf children have with spoken language but if others want to argue with me about it, they dont have to adopt my beliefs. I have good reasons for believing the way I do.

My belief is ASL since it is fully accessible to deaf children cuz we never know how much access deaf children have with spoken language but if others want to argue with me about it, they dont have to adopt my beliefs. I have good reasons for believing the way I do.

Exactly. We have been attempting to make English the L1 language for deaf children for years. What have the results been. Overall, uindereducation and underemployment for the deaf population as a whole. That does not disocount individual successes that have survived the system. But those are not enough to create wide spread changes in what we see for the majority.

Rockdrummer,

I understand your one size fits all. However, I'm curious as to what exactly do you want the doctors/audiologists to say to the parents who have no idea what to do for their deaf child? Ideally we want the parents to do their own research but this is not always or even mostly the case. Do you want the experts to tell the parents "Oh hey theres a whole buncha options, pick one!" giving the description of each method available but not really telling them which has a higher probability of being successful?

Oh and if it isn't obvious already, Im TOTALLY jumping into this thread without reading all the past posts (Im only on page 4 so far!)

Actually, I believe RD has been saying the opposite, that one size does NOT fit all. And I have been of the same opinion.

Your question is good, though -- how parents should determine what approach they should take with their child when a bunch of options are thrown at them. I've been saying all along that statistics shouldn't matter (or at least not be the sole factor in a decision) because those numbers do not necessarily apply to each individual (meaning one size does not fit all.) Had my parents listened to my audiologist, I would not have learned sign. Instead they went the opposite way -- I learned sign first, then speech shortly thereafter.

Actually, I believe RD has been saying the opposite, that one size does NOT fit all. And I have been of the same opinion.

Haha, classic example of writing/typing/reading too fast....

I did mean one size doesn't fit all.

Your question is good, though -- how parents should determine what approach they should take with their child when a bunch of options are thrown at them. I've been saying all along that statistics shouldn't matter (or at least not be the sole factor in a decision) because those numbers do not necessarily apply to each individual (meaning one size does not fit all.) Had my parents listened to my audiologist, I would not have learned sign. Instead they went the opposite way -- I learned sign first, then speech shortly thereafter.

My mom went the opposite of what the doctor said.... and I did oral only. :shock:

So what can the doctor/audiologist say to the parents when they ask "So what do you recommend we do now?"

When it comes to "What is best for your child?" We don't know, and never will. However, this is a different question from "What is best as a recommendation to start with?" At the risk of offending people, I wouldn't be surprised if the parents of most people, who were unhappy with the way they were educated as a child, just followed the doctor's orders.

My mom went the opposite of what the doctor said.... and I did oral only. :shock:

So what can the doctor/audiologist say to the parents when they ask "So what do you recommend we do now?"

When it comes to "What is best for your child?" We don't know, and never will. However, this is a different question from "What is best as a recommendation to start with?" At the risk of offending people, I wouldn't be surprised if the parents of most people, who were unhappy with the way they were educated as a child, just followed the doctor's orders.

It wouldn't surprise me, either, Daredevel. Not at all.

Back