Deaf culture topic ideas

I think she's saying she'd like to help bridge the gap between the Deaf and the Hearies. And it's the Hearies that will need the most "work" to bring this about.

I really think that Deaf is more enclosed and the gap with hearies that are not family will probably go unbridged for years to come.

Of course everyone in my family has some degree of hearing loss, and we are rather insular.

I don't know how you mean it. It makes me feel like an exotic zoo animal.
This is not at all how I'm trying to come across. I'm just saying that I had never experienced the Deaf community because I never tried, and I would say this is true for most of the hearing individuals. The gap that there is between the two communities is because of the hearing individuals ignorance and not realizing that we should learn more and involve ourselves with the Deaf community.

This is not at all how I'm trying to come across. I'm just saying that I had never experienced the Deaf community because I never tried, and I would say this is true for most of the hearing individuals. The gap that there is between the two communities is because of the hearing individuals ignorance and not realizing that we should learn more and involve ourselves with the Deaf community.

And I am saying the Deaf community came to be because of a common need and language, and has it's own customs and does not really want to admit the hearing.

There is no point to it.

And I think that any hearing person that chooses to engage themselves in the Deaf culture would see it as beneficial. I may not be "admitted" because I'm not Deaf and that is understandable, but I shouldn't be looked at as "Oh my God she's hearing, she should leave." Meeting new people, learning about new cultures, and bettering yourself as an individual is very important. I am a Marine and that doesn't mean that I went to Iraq and despised every Muslim I saw, I have very many friends that are Muslim. I see this as almost the same. Yes the hearing speak in a different way than the Deaf culture, but I think that bridging the gap and making more people aware of everyone around them is very beneficial. I have met several Deaf people who love the fact that there are more and more hearing people interested in their culture. Learning more and involving yourself with different kinds of people is a great thing to do. I do understand that there are many hearing people that don't like the Deaf and Deaf that don't like the hearing but I believe that is ignorance and is true of most stereotypes put on people. I love being able to interact with the Deaf community and I understand that some people may be against the idea.

But, this wasn't the reason for this thread. I intend to look deeper into the issues of the Deaf culture and find a good research topic.

This world needs a Deaf Martin Luther King!..plenty Malcom X not too much Ghandi's..the love,where?..jeeze!..can't we all..oh never mind!.

anyway,certainly you have a topic how about a discussion on the hearing relentless effort for accommodation in the Deaf world to no avail?.you hear the term "deaf friendly".. Ok how about "hearing friendly" One step forward, slowly..back away don't wish to offend...becoming more blunt by the day, maybe it's the good company I keep?. sincerely. either way it's all love for me..jeeze..

And I think that any hearing person that chooses to engage themselves in the Deaf culture would see it as beneficial. I may not be "admitted" because I'm not Deaf and that is understandable, but I shouldn't be looked at as "Oh my God she's hearing, she should leave." Meeting new people, learning about new cultures, and bettering yourself as an individual is very important. I am a Marine and that doesn't mean that I went to Iraq and despised every Muslim I saw, I have very many friends that are Muslim. I see this as almost the same. Yes the hearing speak in a different way than the Deaf culture, but I think that bridging the gap and making more people aware of everyone around them is very beneficial. I have met several Deaf people who love the fact that there are more and more hearing people interested in their culture. Learning more and involving yourself with different kinds of people is a great thing to do. I do understand that there are many hearing people that don't like the Deaf and Deaf that don't like the hearing but I believe that is ignorance and is true of most stereotypes put on people. I love being able to interact with the Deaf community and I understand that some people may be against the idea.

But, this wasn't the reason for this thread. I intend to look deeper into the issues of the Deaf culture and find a good research topic.

It depends entirely on how you attempt to use that which you learn. From a hearing perspective or a Deaf perspective.

It always amazes me how students seem to think you jump right into a culture without having taken time to make friends within that culture so that you have an understanding of and empathy with the people of that culture, to writing about issues that are important to that culture.

Make friends, associate, get to know. The issues will be obvious.

It always amazes me how students seem to think you jump right into a culture without having taken time to make friends within that culture so that you have an understanding of and empathy with the people of that culture, to writing about issues that are important to that culture.

..I agree with you, entirely. Personally, if you want to know something about my culture, please ask. You asking questions, to me, shows interest in who I am..thats enough effort initially. I can appreciate keeping it lite with the questions until a relationship develops. Is there a such thing as meeting the other person half way?..I have mainly been around people who love inquisitive minds...tolerance and patience goes a long way in building bridges between friends..it's ok to be kind and nice even to a unfamiliar person who may not have the "right" approach, especially when good intent is obvious..it can't be said enough educate don't discriminate..so good of you to make the effort!

Its never nice to be mean and hurt another persons feelings, even in retaliation. Maybe it's me and I can't stomach cruelty no matter who you are, where you come from or hope to gain..I will not cosign it, jump on any bandwagon , go along, or support it in hopes of one day being considered a friend. My observations teach me a lot, this is true.

While I realize this is several years after the original post, I think what everyone needs to understand is that does not generally happen because a student just decides to jump right in to address topics related to the Deaf Community or its Culture. Take me, for example, I'm a first year (week actually) student majoring in ASL-English Interpretation. I literally just started class last week, and last week's assignment was to produce a research paper topic on 'Topics of Interest in Deaf Culture'. We aren't voluntarily, and ignorantly, jumping in and involving ourselves in Deaf issues. Please take this up with our professors, many of whom are also Deaf. We, the students, think it's rude as well, but an assignment is an assignment, and this assignment should wait until we have some exposure within the Deaf Community.

Back