Deaf culture as a group

angeleyes16wi

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently working as a nurse, in school for my bachelors in Nursing, and also in school for a Deaf Studies degree. I am a Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness class, for nursing, doing a paper on Deaf Culture. We were given a list on numerous cultural groups, deaf culture was not on there, but my teacher agreed to let me do it.

With that said, I have numerous areas that I need to cover, some that I know already. But some only deaf people can tell me or maybe think of. I am "dating" a deaf guy, however, he was raised oral, does sign but was not raised in a deaf community nor with strong deaf culture. I also am immersed in several classes but need as much info as possible.

I need your help, please share info about the follow if possible.
Anything specific to deaf culture related to: (when compared to hearing culture for example)

Heritage
Migration
Educational status
Religious practices, rituals or customs
Any difference between head of household or gender roles?
Any certain health care issues, rituals, practices, health care choices, traditions, health risk factors, fertility practices?
Any difference in child raising (besides the obvious)?
How is being pregnant or having a baby different?
Response to death different?
Do you have a certain barrier to seeking health
care? (besides language barrier)
How does deaf culture respond to health and illness?
Any certain practices or beliefs related to health
care?
Require any certain type of health care providers? (gender, ethnicity, religious background)?
I am aware of sociocultural events that deaf culture has been affected by, but if there are any you want to share, go ahead.

I also have to give a power point presentation and have my classmates answer 5 questions. This is related to health care, is there anything I should make sure they know, or that they could be sensitive to? Like if you were in a hospital, would should a nurse know?

I know that the above might not be actually pertain to deaf culture, but I thought I would see first before I tell my instructor it doesn't apply.
I am very aware that the only thing deaf people can't do is hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jenn

Hi. Your questions don't seem very specific. However welcome here, and know that I was afraid you were my daughter until you signed a name not hers. :lol:

I guess they are hard because I feel that those questions really don't apply to deaf culture. I am looking for differences from other cultures or hearing culture.

Are there differences in the way deaf people seek healthcare? What is different?

If you were to go into a hospital, what would be most helpful to you, what accomodations would you prefer?

I also have to give a power point presentation and have my classmates answer 5 questions. This is related to health care, is there anything I should make sure they know, or that they could be sensitive to? Like if you were in a hospital, would should a nurse know?

If I go to the hospital I need an interperter ! Not someone who learned 5 words of sign launguge 20 years ago, a real certified honest to goodness Interperter. If my Husband goes to the hospital, I need an interperter too !

If I go to the Doctor and my husband is with me because for some reason we didn't get an interperter. Look at ME when you are speaking, not him, He is not the patient. You wouldn't believe how many Doctors I've had to take to task for that one !

Don't Hang up on the relay when I call to make an appointment. Don't Not call me because you can't figure out how Relay works. If you are in Healthcare, your smart enough to figure it out.

I can't hear you when you call my name, wave at me or tap me on the shoulder when it's my turn. Be careful with the tapping though, ask if you don't know how to do it without scaring me witless.

If I ask for an interperter when I make an appointment don't argue, just get one, it saves on the stress and makes you more money when I tell the other Deafies.

Treat with with the same Respect and dignity you treat any other patient.

Oh, and I love it when you sign "thank you", back to me after I've probably signed it a few times to you. A little effort l ike that goes a long way.

(Personal pet peeves and thoughts, may not be shared by other Deafies, YMMV :)

Thank you for your contribution. I was aware of some of those, but very helpful to know the rest. I have seen that where I work, how people know sign just because they know the alphabet. Quite different!

Anyone care to share how you chose health care providers? Do you choose based on referrals from other deaf people?

Hi, angeleyes.

If you will check the differences of any cultural and linguistic minority, you will find that health care useage and choice is very similar. If you think of deafness as a cultural and linguistic minority, the correlations make a lot of sense.

1. Please don't wear surgical masks when addressing a deaf person. I find this most frustrating when at the dentist or doctors. I speechread for the most part since I am still learning sign language.

2. Please allow the companion of a deaf person to be in the examination room, not all of us use sign language interpreters.

If a hospital advertises that they have the necessary accomodating services available to the deaf, then more deaf will be referred there.

Hello all,

I am currently working as a nurse, in school for my bachelors in Nursing, and also in school for a Deaf Studies degree. I am a Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness class, for nursing, doing a paper on Deaf Culture. We were given a list on numerous cultural groups, deaf culture was not on there, but my teacher agreed to let me do it.

With that said, I have numerous areas that I need to cover, some that I know already. But some only deaf people can tell me or maybe think of. I am "dating" a deaf guy, however, he was raised oral, does sign but was not raised in a deaf community nor with strong deaf culture. I also am immersed in several classes but need as much info as possible.

I need your help, please share info about the follow if possible.
Anything specific to deaf culture related to: (when compared to hearing culture for example)

Heritage
Migration
Educational status
Religious practices, rituals or customs
Any difference between head of household or gender roles?
Any certain health care issues, rituals, practices, health care choices, traditions, health risk factors, fertility practices?
Any difference in child raising (besides the obvious)?
How is being pregnant or having a baby different?
Response to death different?
Do you have a certain barrier to seeking health
care? (besides language barrier)
How does deaf culture respond to health and illness?
Any certain practices or beliefs related to health
care?
Require any certain type of health care providers? (gender, ethnicity, religious background)?
I am aware of sociocultural events that deaf culture has been affected by, but if there are any you want to share, go ahead.

I know that the above might not be actually pertain to deaf culture, but I thought I would see first before I tell my instructor it doesn't apply.
I am very aware that the only thing deaf people can't do is hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jenn

Hello Jen I just so happen to be doing a report on the same subject, so if you get any info can you share some of that information with me?

From Cdn Hearing Society: dealing with your Hearing Loss class: One must stop anyone when one DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HAS BEEN SPOKEN to you. Don't bluff. This applies especially to any medical personnel dealing with you. You can't be a "passive agent" in your own regards-hearing wise. This applies to deaf/Deaf/Blind deaf as well.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

From Cdn Hearing Society: dealing with your Hearing Loss class: One must stop anyone when one DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HAS BEEN SPOKEN to you. Don't bluff. This applies especially to any medical personnel dealing with you. You can't be a "passive agent" in your own regards-hearing wise. This applies to deaf/Deaf/Blind deaf as well.

Uhhh...that is advise for the patient, not the staff. I guess you misunderstood the questions posed in the OP. Again.

Presumably the staff would react when duly informed-one hopes! Also, the fact should be part of one's medical chart-mine is here in Toronto which states DEAF!

Presumably the staff would react when duly informed-one hopes! Also, the fact should be part of one's medical chart-mine is here in Toronto which states DEAF!

Your post did not indicate that there was anything to inform staff not to do or to change in practice that would meet deaf needs. I guess you didn't understand the OP.

A quick reread suggests she asking about "deaf Culture" relating to " heritage. religion etc. The second sentence.Did I misread it?

Not exactly questions usually asked in medical "encounters". At least in my experience here in Toronto.

A quick reread suggests she asking about "deaf Culture" relating to " heritage. religion etc.
Not exactly questions asked in medical "encounters". At least in my experience here in Toronto.
What was that reading?

How about "I am working as a nurse, studying for my Bachelor's in nursing". She is writing a paper for school; she is studying nursing; any paper assigned would relate to the nursing protocol with deaf patients. See how easy that is?:cool2:

Here is another clue: I am in a culturally diversity class for health and illness.

Maybe you need to slow down and stop doing such quick reads.

Really? how does the "deaf protocol" apply to one's "heritage ,religion etc. in a medical encounter?

Really? how does the "deaf protocol" apply to one's "heritage ,religion etc. in a medical encounter?

For that to be answered, you would need to have a basic understanding of cultural influences on the individual and the way it affects their use of the medical system. Obviously, you don't have an understanding of cultural influences at all. For you, Deaf Culture does not exist. So, that begs the question...why are you responding to a cultural thread?

As a Bilaterally deaf person interesting to read about the alleged cultural influences of "deafness". Not immediately obvious to me since December 20, 2006-the date I became bilaterally deaf.

Never dull-to say the least.

Off to deaf swimming shortly.

facepalm_cat.jpg

Back