Deaf couple created own restaurant at San Francisco, CA

I ate and drank at Mozzeria tonight....I will give a full report tomorrow but will end the suspense now by saying it was probably the best dining experience I have had. I would really have to nitpick to find anything to complain about. I may become a regular when in town. Just outstanding!

I ate and drank at Mozzeria tonight....I will give a full report tomorrow but will end the suspense now by saying it was probably the best dining experience I have had. I would really have to nitpick to find anything to complain about. I may become a regular when in town. Just outstanding!

Oh I see.

That's good to hear... :thumb:

What kind of pizza you ate? and you drank wine? I'm glad you like it

Mozzeria

First off the place is small....Like most of the places in the area.... I would say 35 people max. It has a great urban feel. The decor was trendy yet comfortable. They had 5 beers on tap (I tried all 5 since I wasn't driving) and probably the only beer most people would have heard of is Fat Tire. The sodas were bottled pure cane sodas and seemed to fit the place perfectly. I showed up at 6 and ended up staying til around 9. The place was pretty much full the entire time. At 6 I think everyone who was there was deaf or was with someone who was deaf. At 9 the crowd appeared to be split 50/50. As for the staff I believe all were deaf except the hostess (I didn't ask) My server was Justin and he was deaf. He read lips well and carried pen/paper so their were no communication issues at all. With my limited ASL, writing was faster than signing and they were very busy. The entire staff was very friendly. I think I met all of them while there. The service was excellent

I wasn't in the mood for pizza so I had a couple of appetizers. First I had the gulf shrimp which was probably the best shrimp I have had anywhere. The second was a fried cheese bar. It was good but way too much cheese for one person...lol. I probably should have ordered the shrimp again! The prices were very reasonable.....even cheap for an urban restaurant. My shrimp was $12 and the fried cheese was $8. Beer was on the high side at $6 but that's not too bad. My total bill was around $50....not bad for the setting. A good sized pizza runs only $15-18. They looked really good and I may go back tonight to try one.

The only complaint I have is that the toothpicks were in a cup and not wrapped.... That is the only flaw I could find. Lol

Ate at Mozzeria again last night. Another packed house. Problem was they were tremendously short staffed. Only one waiter for the entire house. Last night was the 75th anniversary party of the Golden Gate Bridge.....not sure if they were not expecting the crowd or if people called in "sick" to go to the party. lol. Regardless the staff did an excellent job. I had the Japanese Funghi Pizza..it was excellent, though slightly burnt. This was understandable given that the hostess was pulled off the door to watch the oven. My rating of the food last night would be "average". However given the circumstances I was very impressed. I was really impressed with Melody who did a great job of running the show. She was very much in control and never lost her smile.

Also of note.... in California the Health Dept. inspection card is posted for all to see. Mozzeria got a 100....I have never seen a perfect score before.

The crowd was different than the night before... it appeared everyone was hearing. I think this is a great thing as it means all of the locals are really enjoying the place and that it is not just serving a niche.

I may go again tonight

there great cafe in Paris RUN by deaf when you sit down they give list pic in french sign which you have to use they also accept bsl.if anyone going to Pris that the place to go,the food is 5star and cheap and very popular.been quite a few deaf tv programmes about it

Went there again.....afraid I have to give it a bad review this time. The service was non existent and the food had no taste. Turns out they close every Monday.

Went there again.....afraid I have to give it a bad review this time. The service was non existent and the food had no taste. Turns out they close every Monday.

Some restaurants in here closed on Monday.

That's just unfortunate.

My goodness. Best meal yet. I am recommending this place to everyone.

will check it out when I'm in town again. I'm a harsh critic when it comes to pizza. let's see if it's a real deal. I've been to Italy and I know what pizza generally tastes like in there. it's very different.

since servers and owner know ASL, that would greatly enhance my dining experience.

My goodness. Best meal yet. I am recommending this place to everyone.

Maybe one of these days. It'd be interesting to give it a taste being a former manager of Domino's Pizza. I found that home styled pizzas taste better.

Maybe one of these days. It'd be interesting to give it a taste being a former manager of Domino's Pizza. I found that home styled pizzas taste better.

This is very different. It's gourmet pizza, extremely thin.... They use oils more than cheese. It's good. Probably an acquired taste. Kids won't like it. The appetizers are excellent as well.

This is very different. It's gourmet pizza, extremely thin.... They use oils more than cheese. It's good. Probably an acquired taste. Kids won't like it. The appetizers are excellent as well.

have you met russ or his wife?

have you met russ or his wife?

I have met Melody. Talked to her each time there. I think Russ must be in the back or away because I haven't seen him. The long haired waiter in the video is Adam. He was the waiter that handled the house on the busy night by himself. Super nice guy and an excellent waiter.

There is a waitress there named Rebecca too that does a great job and is super sweet. She is hearing, I found out last night but both of her parents were deaf. She signs really well and fast. lol.

AOL.com Video - You've Got Melody & Russell Stein

Husband-and-wife restaurateurs Melody and Russell Stein, who are deaf, sign about how they were able to create a successful pizzeria. The Steins opened Mozzeria in San Francisco's Mission neighborhood in December 2011.

Mozzeria is trying to get one of 4 places in a "Local Forager Contest" - to get spot at San Francisco Street Food Festival (huge annual event!) on Aug 18th.

You can cheer them along and show that deaf-owned businesses can do it!

How to vote in "Local Forager Contest":

1) Go to Local Forager Contest page - San Francisco Street Food Festival - Local Forage Contest
2) Click "Login with Facebook to Vote"
3) Look for "Mozzeria"
4) Click 'VOTE" button

Back