Deaf Couple Adopted A Cute Daughter From China.

Congrats on adopting their child. I can't imagine the process wasn't easy. $20,000 is about right. My sister-in-law and her husband had adopted their Chinese son while they lived in Shanghai. They had to pay up $26,000. The legal contract was as thick as an encyclopedia. I am not sure if I remember my sister in law told me almost a million Chinese children are waiting to be adopted alone in just one Chinese Province. That breaks my heart.

My brother, well one of them, is Filipino. Considering at the time my dad was in the Air Force and didn't make much money I'm positive it didn't cost any where near 20k. Not I. The Philippines and not in 84/85. We were living there at the time. We didn't get him from an orphanage either. My parents went down to the bario one day with whoever it is that handles adoptions and they went door to door knocking "got any babies you don't want?" Brought my brother home that night, he was 3 weeks old and weighed like 5 pounds. They'd been feeding him the water they boil rice in, slowly starving him to death.

To the couple: Congratulations ! Sweet story

In the past, adoption was cheap. My grandfather and step-grandmother had adopted my aunt in 1977. All they did is filed for adoption paper and that was it. We share the same age. Adoption wasn't in their plan. It was a surprise, actually. My grandfather found her with umbilical cord hanging out from her belly on his couch. He knew she was about almost one hour old. She was covered in blood. Immediately, he went out of his house with her in his arms searching for a woman. He prayed someone would change her mind and come back to claim her, but she didn't. In the culture, all the houses had an opened door. Everyone was welcomed. That's how it happened. Anyway, the time has changed.

Back