Deaf community in Vancouver, BC?

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a deaf community in Vancouver? I'm seriously considering a move either to the Pacific Northwest or to Canada, and I've always loved Vancouver. What sign language do people use -- ASL, Sawmill, or even LSQ? I'd love to continue working as an interpreter there.

Interpretrator said:
Is there much of a deaf community in Vancouver? I'm seriously considering a move either to the Pacific Northwest or to Canada, and I've always loved Vancouver. What sign language do people use -- ASL, Sawmill, or even LSQ? I'd love to continue working as an interpreter there.

The deaf community in the Pacific Northwest isn't really BIG like LA or New York. I noticed that deaf people in Vancouver, BC use ASL for the most part. I never heard of Sawmill or LSQ before. I do hope you will survive the winter weather, also.

Vancouver!

Hey now, the weather is not that bad here!!! Yes we use ASL, LSQ is french as you know but not often used here(they use that in quebe-where they speak french) Also some of the 'younger' deafies are using SEE & PSE. There is a Deaf community in Vancouver but I think it can be rather divided because of Abuse that went on in Jericho School for the Deaf between the 1970's and early 90's. I have herd that some Deafies who were affected by the abuse that went on in Jericho School have difficulties with Deafies who were no subject to this abuse. It is interesting to learn about this! My boyfriend who is Deaf did not attend Jericho but his ex-wife did and it is clear that she has suffered mentally from this even years after. I dont want to get into more details so if you want more pm me. Yes there is a fairly large Deaf Community in Vancouver, depending on what kind of interpreting you want to do I know that here where I live on Vancouver Island there are several positions in a few different school districts for terps and signers. Im sure you will have no trouble finding a job because you are a cert. terp! Good luck! This is the most beautiful place on earth!!

I love Vancouver Island, I know someone on Lasqueti Island which is off the grid, and since she's moved there she hasn't been so sick as she's been over the last few years due to Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). And Courtney, B.C, is beautiful, but I loved spending every moment I had in Victoria.

Mind you though, the Okanagon Valley on the mainland off the TransCanada Highway is the most beautiful spot in Canada, but I did see a place just like that on the train between Nanaimo and Victoria.

Have great fun out there!

I've been there in Vancouver, BRITISH COLUMBIA.. which it's so beauitful place to live but cannot eyes off the beautiful mountain! I wish I could live there but heavy rain.. made me feel alike dull.. (chuckles) but living wow.. beautiful honestly.. If r u wish moving there.. that HUGE DISCUSSION.. wishes you have great luck researching in Vancouver Deaf Community what the best needed... Suit yourself..
Keep in touch here sometime and would love to hear from you and how's things went so far..

This is off topic, but you know what my favorite thing about Vancouver is? Aside from all the awesome people and great scenery, that is.

The license plates. I have no idea why, but I am so fixated on them and especially on that text that says "Beautiful British Columbia."

I don't know about the deaf community up there, but I imagine it'd be somewhat substantial.

Thanks for all the replies! Moving there is just something my boyfriend and I are thinking about at the moment; it wouldn't happen for a couple of years. There are a lot of jobs there in his industry so if there's at least some deaf community there, hopefully there will be a job for me! I've been there once and just loved it. Seattle or Portland are also options but at this point we're kind of thinking it might be nice to move out of the country, at least for a bit.

(By the way, I should mention I'm not actually RID certified yet as I haven't taken the performance exam. I planned to last year but major health issues got in the way. *sigh* I'm now hoping to do it this summer!)

Interpretrator,

You are welcome to Vancouver Island or Vancouver BC.

I am living here for more than 10 years. The weathers are awesome not really so coldest a like eastern Canada. Here is coldest weather had been record no more than -5 oC.

However, I was living in Victoria for long time right now I am living in Nanaimo for 2 years.

In Victoria, deaf people are more populations than Nanaimo but the Nanaimo deaf people are more friendly than in Victoria.

Jamie lee you should tell me about this I did not know about that what you have done with this post. You had a little bit of errors about the Jericho hill School for the deaf. They have been sexual abused started earlier in 1930's since in1994.

I know about deaf community in Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver and others.

I hope Jamie could have spent more time with me and we can work on this together.

Duncan

In addition,

On Vancouver Island the older deaf people are using speaking ASL; the younger deaf people are using speak PSL or SEE. But in Vancouver deaf people are using speaking ASL very often. I doubt no one deaf people to use LSQ in Vancouver or somewhere in BC. The LSQ use for speak sign language to speak French deaf people who live in Montreal, Quebec only.

FYI I was living in Montreal for many years what I had experience life about deaf social life. In Montreal French deaf people are use LSQ (langue singe de Québec Quebec sign language to speak French) similar as ASL. Out of Montréal the French deaf people use LSF Lange singes de François (French sign language as SEE).

If you want to work for ASL interpreter, you can connect to Island deaf and hard of hearing center in Victoria BC or in Nanaimo, BC or at WIDHHC in Vancouver.

HTH (hope the help)

Duncan

Wow...lots of great information! Thanks, Duncan (and everyone) for your comments. I did know LSQ was largely used in Quebec -- hence the name -- but I didn't know if maybe it had filtered west due to people moving and so forth. I'll definitely be keeping Vancouver on my list of places to move once we're ready.

Hello Interpretratorm you are welcome, I hope I can meet you one day when you will move to Vancouver or Vancouver Island :)

Duncan

i know this is off topic but im having a ver hard time finding the regional sign for cereal??? Im new to signing and have been studying asl for a couple years..i teach hearing children to sign, if anyone wants to chat id love to i live in greater vancouver..its amazing here

i know this is off topic but im having a ver hard time finding the regional sign for cereal??? Im new to signing and have been studying asl for a couple years..i teach hearing children to sign, if anyone wants to chat id love to i live in greater vancouver..its amazing here

I use the same sign as is in the Canadian Dictionary of ASL - if you don't have that book, I'd really suggest getting it, it's a "must have" for Canadian Signers :)

Hi,
I'm not from Vancouver but I'm in the BC area :)
But I do go to Vancouver quite frequently and next year I'll be in Vancouver for school! I use ASL and I'm HoH

ASL resources

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and am interested in buying some ASL resources to end to Southern Sudan for two deaf girls that are at an organization there called CCC (Confident Children out of Conflict). I need both teachers resources and fun stuff for the girls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paula

I’m in Vancouver don’t sign but hoh Would like to hang out with people in my area that are hoh any help much appreciate

Back