Deaf Awareness

Ironical comment- bilaterally deaf/Deaf not necessarily "part of the deaf/Deaf community"., Perhaps one need "them" to certify "they are deaf/Deaf". One who experiences silence instead of hearing is deemed not "official".

Is this "Alice in Deaf/deaf land"? Right -hearing persons using ASL are members but Bilaterally deaf who DON"T use ASL: aren't?
Run that again-gee the "Deaf/deaf community is NOT exclusive?
Interesting discovery since I have been here-Alldeaf.com since July 10. My misreading of some comments?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Ironic or not it sometimes works that way. Who is, or is not, Culturally Deaf is pretty much decided by the local Deaf Community. As a hearing child I was part of the Deaf Community along with my CODA friend while some deaf adults were not.

I am not currently involved in the local Deaf Community, and don't know how I would be seen. I do miss the Deaf Community and when I retire I imagine I will find out.

BTW: It has been my experience that use of ASL is NOT the deciding factor -- ASL and Attitude are the first prerequisites. Attitude means how you see yourself, your place in the world, and how you see Deaf People. I don't recommend trying to be what you are not. It won't work for long.

Next is Involvement: Contributing to the Deaf Community in the form of time and effort.

In other words you don't just show up for events, eat the food and go home. You show up early, help set up, and you stay late cleaning up afterwards. Sort of the way you should deal with your own family and they should deal with you. Be there for each other.

Also while in less populated areas there may not be enough D/deaf people to make up a Deaf Community in more populated areas there may be many Deaf Communities, some of which may require membership in (for example) a specific religion or political faction.

Who is "them" ?

And who needs to certify who? Nobody. Either you want to be part of the Deaf community, or you don't.

It is not exclusive to who speaks, who signs, who hears, who doesn't hear, etc. I suspect your lack of mingling among the deaf/Deaf is what makes you not understand this.

You gotta be a wanna be if you are ever gonna be. More or less. When I stumbled on Deaf World the only people who knew it existed were the Deaf who inhabited it.

In truth when you first start getting involved with D/deaf people you most likely will not have a clue who is or is not involved in The Deaf World. Depending on your attitude, who likes you and who you like, you may or may not be invited into it. Sort of like a private club where like minded people gather together.

Personally not unduly concerned whether I am an "official member of the deaf community". or not. Doesn't change the fact that I am bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006. Seems to be a fixation only here-Alldeaf.com. Not exactly a pressing concern at the present time. Are computers the real world? My ongoing membership of "VampireFreaks.Com" suggest otherwise!

Presumably the intersection of "cultural" vs real deafness- is whether one uses ASL or not. Relevant? Discussing whether one should have gotten an Implant in the first place.Perhaps learning the finer points of deaf/Deaf swimming. Right an activity I actually do.

My answers To you above are not really For you because I don't believe you care. When hearing people with no experience of Deaf Community, such as parents of deaf children, ask me about it, this is pretty much what I tell them.

My answers are for those who do care, and they are based solely on my experiences as a hearing person with Deaf I have known.

My apologies in advance for any inaccuracies stated, and corrections willingly accepted.

Personally not unduly concerned whether I am an "official member of the deaf community". or not. Doesn't change the fact that I am bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006. Seems to be a fixation only here-Alldeaf.com.

What do you see as a fixation here? Certainly not whether you, I, or anyone else here is a member of the deaf community. It is to each his/her own. Do you actually see posts that condemn anyone for being part of the deaf community or not? If you actually see a "fixation" on this, it's in your head.

Honestly, the only fixation I see is that you are "bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006," and "Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07" -- you mention this in virtually just about all of your posts. You seem fixed on when you became deaf and when you were implanted.

It's applied to all deaf ranges weather they are Deaf/deaf or hard of hearing. I was born deaf.

I don't recall keying any comment about being "poor deaf". Usual misreading-deliberate?
Not a "practicing psychologist" to analyze "behaviour"

As for "attitude" does having a Cochlear Implant suggest something about dealing with deafness-silence? Exactly what does EVERY PERSON WHO GETS an Implant think/hope will happen in their life- after activation?

I do in fact belong to Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant group- meet about once a year.

What do you see as a fixation here? Certainly not whether you, I, or anyone else here is a member of the deaf community. It is to each his/her own. Do you actually see posts that condemn anyone for being part of the deaf community or not? If you actually see a "fixation" on this, it's in your head.

Honestly, the only fixation I see is that you are "bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006," and "Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07" -- you mention this in virtually just about all of your posts. You seem fixed on when you became deaf and when you were implanted.

Agreed. The only fixation I see is with his own date of deafness. And perhaps, his insistence that the Deaf Community is a figment of all our imaginations.:giggle:

I don't recall keying any comment about being "poor deaf". Usual misreading-deliberate?
Not a "practicing psychologist" to analyze "behaviour"

As for "attitude" does having a Cochlear Implant suggest something about dealing with deafness-silence? Exactly what does EVERY PERSON WHO GETS an Implant think/hope will happen in their life- after activation?

I do in fact belong to Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant group- meet about once a year.

You don't have to say it specifically. It is evident in all of your posts and your fixation on the date you became deaf. Self pity bleeds out of your posts.

Personally not unduly concerned whether I am an "official member of the deaf community". or not. Doesn't change the fact that I am bilaterally deaf since December 20, 2006. Seems to be a fixation only here-Alldeaf.com. Not exactly a pressing concern at the present time. Are computers the real world? My ongoing membership of "VampireFreaks.Com" suggest otherwise!

Presumably the intersection of "cultural" vs real deafness- is whether one uses ASL or not. Relevant? Discussing whether one should have gotten an Implant in the first place.Perhaps learning the finer points of deaf/Deaf swimming. Right an activity I actually do.

If you visit the threads in the other sub categories, you will see that it is not true.

My prior comments re misreading still stands-why????????????

My prior comments re misreading still stands-why????????????

Actually quite simple- does suggests a "fixated mind"- correct?
Would an extensive discussion with a "clinical psychologist" uncover the underlying cause?
Then what?

You certainly have a "fixated mind" as you put it, and your behavior would suggest that the underlying cause is fear and a need to control.

Does that answer your question?

You certainly have a "fixated mind" as you put it, and your behavior would suggest that the underlying cause is fear and a need to control.

Does that answer your question?

Very extensive :giggle:

Underlying fear and control of what- Using a Cochlear Implant? Extensive reply-really?

Right- is this just more "fixated reading" into various comments-harmless exercise?Productive use of one's time?

Underlying fear and control of what- Using a Cochlear Implant? Extensive reply-really?

Right- is this just more "fixated reading" into various comments-harmless exercise?Productive use of one's time?

You will never get it. You are one of those that will always be left standing with a look of incredulity on your face as the world passes right over your head.

You are so proud of your CI and your ability to hear...put it to good use. Stop talking and start listening. You can't grasp anything that is said to you because your only concern is what you have to say. That CI isn't going to do you much good if you don't learn to listen with it.

I acknowledge that there is NO hearing on this computer. Not "wired up".
Starting to "figure out" what "deaf values" that supposedly happened on December 20, 2006. That is the day I became bilaterally deaf.
Is this "transformation" actualized by approval of "deaf/Deaf community" here in Ontario-where ever "they" are?

Are there "hearing values" as well?

Just discovered "some deaf" form an "ethnic group"- is this real? Does this mean I have a new "ethnic heritage" since December 20, 2006?

I acknowledge that there is NO hearing on this computer. Not "wired up".
Starting to "figure out" what "deaf values" that supposedly happened on December 20, 2006. That is the day I became bilaterally deaf.
Is this "transformation" actualized by approval of "deaf/Deaf community" here in Ontario-where ever "they" are?

Are there "hearing values" as well?

Just discovered "some deaf" form an "ethnic group"- is this real? Does this mean I have a new "ethnic heritage" since December 20, 2006?

That is where you are making your mistake. You have never begun to figure out what Deaf values are, despite having the opportunity to learn it many times over. You are too busy trying to impose your hearing values on the Deaf. Like I said, stop talking and start listening. You do too much of one, and not nearly enough of the second.

And, just so you know, "talk" and "listen" are being used metaphorically. Don't interpret them literally, as you seem to do with everything else.

Absolutely not. You do not have a new ethnic heritage, nor do I predict that you will at any time in the future. You are, however, a member of the group referred to in the OP of the other culture thread.

I believe I read fairly well and aware this computer does't have sound. Perhaps the "problem" is reading a Journey into the DEAF-WORLD. right- A COMPREHENSIVE guide about "deaf values"? The discussion re Cochlear Implant being "genocide to the deaf community" was "interesting" but unpersuasive.

Implanted-Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

And, just so you know, "talk" and "listen" are being used metaphorically. Don't interpret them literally, as you seem to do with everything else.
drphil, let me put it into words you can understand:

TALK - WRITE (type on the computer)

LISTEN - READ (read what's on the computer)

Got it? :roll:

I believe I read fairly well and aware this computer does't have sound. Perhaps the "problem" is reading a Journey into the DEAF-WORLD. right- A COMPREHENSIVE guide about "deaf values"? The discussion re Cochlear Implant being "genocide to the deaf community" was "interesting" but unpersuasive.

Implanted-Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

So much for the caution not to interpret literally.:laugh2:

Back