Deaf Apartment?

I would love to see Deaf only apartment or senior living center, it won't happen until we change how the law was written.

I learn from the story of Arizona where they attempt to have Deaf only senior citizen assist homes only to backfired by HUD employee who raised question on potential discrimination, that employee was right and is why having Deaf dedicated housing is next to impossible due to equal opportunity laws that bars from discriminating disability, unfortunately it made no exemption for the Deaf, so whoever wants to have dedicated housing for specific disability only asking for mega-billion dollars lawsuits.

We can change that, only if we have the congress re-write the laws recognize the needs of Deaf.

I would love to see Deaf only apartment or senior living center, it won't happen until we change how the law was written.

I learn from the story of Arizona where they attempt to have Deaf only senior citizen assist homes only to backfired by HUD employee who raised question on potential discrimination, that employee was right and is why having Deaf dedicated housing is next to impossible due to equal opportunity laws that bars from discriminating disability, unfortunately it made no exemption for the Deaf, so whoever wants to have dedicated housing for specific disability only asking for mega-billion dollars lawsuits.

We can change that, only if we have the congress re-write the laws recognize the needs of Deaf.

We don't have senior housing anymore b/c it was discrimination, it's now called low income housing . I think this is a horrible idea. When I was a health aide some of my clients were that elderly ladies were too afraid to use the elevator anymore b/c there would tough looking guys in it. I could understand how a 80 plus lady would be frighten to get in an elevator with a guy that looked like he ate nails for lunch . I saw some of the guys my clients were talking about and could see what they meant.
My city would not be able to afford this ,it would mean the taxpayers would have to pay more money and I for one would vote against it b/c
taxpayers are already paying for 3 schools and a new senior /community
center. We don't have a senior center , it a building for every one to use .
So I don't see how there could be a deaf HUD department ,then there
would have to be a blind HUD department too .

My take on this?...she let her grandkids run in the apartment and up and down the halls....Say what?....No matter if she "thought" it was a deaf apartment...why let the kids make all kinds of loud noises?...Living in an apartment, all should have the courtesy to keep the noises at a minimum. Same as for hearing tenants....

She moved into the apartment 3 weeks or more and now is being threatened with eviction due to all the noise in her apartment......Most likely, her best bet would be to move to the Country on an acre of land by herself.....

So the woman is allowing her grandkids to made all kind of rackets b/c she thought it was deaf apartment ?? There is no CC so I was not to understand what she was saying . I tried reading her lips but it was too hard. This was a deaf building you can just going stomping around in your apartment all you want . Deaf and hoh people can feel vibration , I can it I can't stand when someone over my head is stomping around in their condo.

So the woman is allowing her grandkids to made all kind of rackets b/c she thought it was deaf apartment ?? There is no CC so I was not to understand what she was saying . I tried reading her lips but it was too hard. This was a deaf building you can just going stomping around in your apartment all you want . Deaf and hoh people can feel vibration , I can it I can't stand when someone over my head is stomping around in their condo.

There is no CC...it's ASL...(sorry you don't understand ASL). And yes, (as Botti said)...she feels "entitled"....She did say that they told her she would be moving into a "deaf apartment". but would have some hearing there...but they would have "sound proof walls/floors"...??? (hard to believe!)...as those apts. were under HUD or DePaul....(if you want to know more, just ask)...She said she feels deceived and would get a Lawyer to fight the eviction....

It's true that many deafies are Loud...but becoming an adult, they should know that stomping or running around themselves or their kids. is very noisy. And they should discipline their kids from doing this also...

I felt like she was coming off as 'entitled' too. She said something about the 'rules and policies' they presented making her feel like she was living in a dorm. Well-- welcome to the real world. Just about every apartment I've lived in (and the HOA my family live in here) have rules and policies that are set forth in the lease or agreement that you sign. I don't know what the 'noise level' was with her grandchildren (though a 2 year CAN get...very loud lol)- I feel like there's pieces missing as we're only seeing her side of the story.

I have to wonder if she misunderstood them when she was told "All Deaf apartments" when what they actually said was Deaf tenants are welcome (with accommodations- she didn't say). Sound proofing might be a new thing in apartments but I've never seen... walls are thin in many.

But I sure as heck don't think she was being singled out (How can you be if as she said "she is the ONLY ONE with kids? *She said this in the comments section).

My take on this?...she let her grandkids run in the apartment and up and down the halls....Say what?....No matter if she "thought" it was a deaf apartment...why let the kids make all kinds of loud noises?...Living in an apartment, all should have the courtesy to keep the noises at a minimum. Same as for hearing tenants....

She moved into the apartment 3 weeks or more and now is being threatened with eviction due to all the noise in her apartment......Most likely, her best bet would be to move to the Country on an acre of land by herself.....

or buy single family house in suburb - you won't hear any noise unless there is extremely loud music.

Is deaf apartment in Arizona no longer exist anymore?

I think that state of Arizona refuse to follow HUD's order.

For me, I rather to live in private home.

I'm not into deaf communities so much due to drama and problems, also I have bad reputation with deaf communities in Alabama and some portion in DC, especially international students. Most staffs at deaf school hate me due to my behavior pattern.

I went to deaf camp but I left early after few deaf men aggravated my PTSD because they see me as bad reputation.

AD forum is very mild and I know few AD members dislike me, not much.

There is no CC...it's ASL...(sorry you don't understand ASL). And yes, (as Botti said)...she feels "entitled"....She did say that they told her she would be moving into a "deaf apartment". but would have some hearing there...but they would have "sound proof walls/floors"...??? (hard to believe!)...as those apts. were under HUD or DePaul....(if you want to know more, just ask)...She said she feels deceived and would get a Lawyer to fight the eviction....

It's true that many deafies are Loud...but becoming an adult, they should know that stomping or running around themselves or their kids. is very noisy. And they should discipline their kids from doing this also...

I think the people in the condo over mine's think it's OK to be loud and drop things on their floor. I had to tell some that this bothered me.
I can see there being fireproof walls and floors but not sound proof. The woman may have a hard proving the landlord said
the floors and walls are sound proof if this was not put in writing .
The landlord can say " She is deaf and didn't understand me " .
I asked my neighbors in my building if my TV is too loud and it's not.
I agree if sound like the woman feel that she is entitled to do as she want. Yeah if owns her own house she can let her kids stomps till the cows come home then have the cows stomp around too. :giggle:

To make this clear, I am Rochesterian, lives in that town where there was supposed to be Nation's first Deaf dedicated homes,. there have been attempt build one. This idea was planned several years ago, finally approved, claimed it was Deaf dedicated homes only to find out that they still accept anyone with disability regardless. This is what pizzed off Kim Rock to begin with.

I recall pretty clearly when I used to work for a company that gets bunch of VP calls from Deafies, few Deafies from Arizona been mentioning that they looked forward to deaf only apartment. That is what I hear from "Hearsay", I eventually ran into news on why Deaf only apartment backfired, because it was funded by public taxes, and by law agenies that collects these grants, and fund from HUD are required to be free of discrimination, and give anyone with classified people equal opportunity. A person at HUD blew the whistle on that policy of Deaf only as a condition to live in Deaf only apartment, declared it illegal. That is where I get the idea of potential lawsuit against anyone who attempt to limit only Deaf as a condition for tenancy. The only way to fix these kinds of problem is fix how the language was written in ADA and other acts in 1972 and 1974 where they prohibit discrimination in favor of specific group of people.

Its all political, nothing to do with hearing as oppressor as Kim Rock claimed to be, she viewed the housing spokesperson who "Promised" its Deaf only as a required condition for residency betrayed her. I have the feeling it was unintended misrepresent, rather betraying Deaf community.

Is deaf apartment in Arizona no longer exist anymore?

I think that state of Arizona refuse to follow HUD's order.

To make this clear, I am Rochesterian, lives in that town where there was supposed to be Nation's first Deaf dedicated homes,. there have been attempt build one. This idea was planned several years ago, finally approved, claimed it was Deaf dedicated homes only to find out that they still accept anyone with disability regardless. This is what pizzed off Kim Rock to begin with.

I recall pretty clearly when I used to work for a company that gets bunch of VP calls from Deafies, few Deafies from Arizona been mentioning that they looked forward to deaf only apartment. That is what I hear from "Hearsay", I eventually ran into news on why Deaf only apartment backfired, because it was funded by public taxes, and by law agenies that collects these grants, and fund from HUD are required to be free of discrimination, and give anyone with classified people equal opportunity. A person at HUD blew the whistle on that policy of Deaf only as a condition to live in Deaf only apartment, declared it illegal. That is where I get the idea of potential lawsuit against anyone who attempt to limit only Deaf as a condition for tenancy. The only way to fix these kinds of problem is fix how the language was written in ADA and other acts in 1972 and 1974 where they prohibit discrimination in favor of specific group of people.

Its all political, nothing to do with hearing as oppressor as Kim Rock claimed to be, she viewed the housing spokesperson who "Promised" its Deaf only as a required condition for residency betrayed her. I have the feeling it was unintended misrepresent, rather betraying Deaf community.

Yup ! This what I was saying about senior housing in my city , not anymore
When I first started working as health aide most there were only seniors living in a senior complex . My city talked about having a senior center for years and by the time they got around to building it could no longer be only for seniors. Taxpayers are paying most the 7 millions $$ building .
So everybody better be able to use it. But I can't help but wonder how many seniors got forced out the city when their taxes went way up.

Back