Deaf and hearing?

NiaNia

Reaction score
Deaf and hearing?

Would someone who’s deaf be open to dating someone who is hearing? If not, why?

Hey hun. You're probably not getting any responses to this question because this has ben asked and answered countless times on these forums. Up at the top of the page, click Search Forums and do a search for HEARING and DATING and you'll come across a bunch of threads about this.

Hey hun. You're probably not getting any responses to this question because this has ben asked and answered countless times on these forums. Up at the top of the page, click Search Forums and do a search for HEARING and DATING and you'll come across a bunch of threads about this.
Thanks for the tip

I have been deaf all my life. I have now a gf that hears normal and everything is going great, we just did 1 year this November. before that, I had a gf for 4 years that wasn't deaf either and we had no problems with communicating.

Using exclusively oral communication and lipreading like I do is a bonus factor since the SO doesn't need to learn sign. BUT is very important for the relationship to explain since the beginning that the SO needs to accommodate your needs.

That means: always talking in your face, in the bed having the lights on if we are talking or having play time, prioritizing videocall/whatsapp instead calling alone, using subtitles always when watching TV together, avoiding noisy ambients... All those things are things that you AS deaf need to explain because the normally hearing people won't realize it.

Also, I have 3-4 friends profoundly deaf as me and all have a SO that have normal hearing, so definitely deaf-hearing relationship is possible and doable.

I have been deaf all my life. I have now a gf that hears normal and everything is going great, we just did 1 year this November. before that, I had a gf for 4 years that wasn't deaf either and we had no problems with communicating.

Using exclusively oral communication and lipreading like I do is a bonus factor since the SO doesn't need to learn sign. BUT is very important for the relationship to explain since the beginning that the SO needs to accommodate your needs.

That means: always talking in your face, in the bed having the lights on if we are talking or having play time, prioritizing videocall/whatsapp instead calling alone, using subtitles always when watching TV together, avoiding noisy ambients... All those things are things that you AS deaf need to explain because the normally hearing people won't realize it.

Also, I have 3-4 friends profoundly deaf as me and all have a SO that have normal hearing, so definitely deaf-hearing relationship is possible and doable.
Wow thanks. I didnt think about half the stuff you mentioned like having the lights on. Thanks

Back