"deaf" and "death"

A lot of people actually say death instead of deaf and STILL think that they are saying deaf. I usually take advantage of this phonetics failure and respond with "Yes I am death." A surprising amount of people do not even catch this intentional mistake.

A lot of people actually say death instead of deaf and STILL think that they are saying deaf. I usually take advantage of this phonetics failure and respond with "Yes I am death." A surprising amount of people do not even catch this intentional mistake.

Right. Just like around here, there is a big German population. They say "zinc" instead of "sink" and "feesh" instead of "fish". If you correct them, they say, "That's what I said." It is like they really don't hear the difference.

Right. Just like around here, there is a big German population. They say "zinc" instead of "sink" and "feesh" instead of "fish". If you correct them, they say, "That's what I said." It is like they really don't hear the difference.

I've noticed that Indians do the exact same thing. When they say male, it sounds like "Mel". "Yea! Mel! That's what I said!"

I get really annoyed with people that will use F instead of the TH sound. "Birfday" & "teef" will make me cringe.

I get really annoyed with people that will use F instead of the TH sound. "Birfday" & "teef" will make me cringe.

Around here, I hear "boofday" alot. Drives me nuts!:giggle: And "axed" instead of "asked". No wonder you can only get 30% of what is said through speech reading!

I had an old Scotsman ask me about my "deefness" once. :lol:

I had an old Scotsman ask me about my "deefness" once. :lol:

Really?:lol: I thought that was that German dialect again.:P I guess because I have always lived in an area with a lot of German immigrants.

Really?:lol: I thought that was that German dialect again.:P I guess because I have always lived in an area with a lot of German immigrants.

Interesting. This guy was most definitely Scot. He had a burr in his speech and when he said "deefness" I asked him to repeat it. He did in all innocence and I had to suppress my laughter. He was a real character. :)

Around here, I hear "boofday" alot. Drives me nuts!:giggle: And "axed" instead of "asked". No wonder you can only get 30% of what is said through speech reading!

I used to have a hard time understanding a co worker who had a strong New England accent. She said she was not from Boston but she'd say things like I pahked my cah in the pahking lot. Whenever she said that I saw packers in the packing lot when what she said she parked her car in the parking lot. She didn't think I could lipread.

Interesting. This guy was most definitely Scot. He had a burr in his speech and when he said "deefness" I asked him to repeat it. He did in all innocence and I had to suppress my laughter. He was a real character. :)

You know, now that I think back, my grandfather was Scotch Irish and he said "deef." I had forgotten all about that.

You know, now that I think back, my grandfather was Scotch Irish and he said "deef." I had forgotten all about that.

I had a friend who served as my interpreter in my conversation with this Scot who was a farmer. We were in a field with his cattle and I wish to goodness I had a recorder because my friend didn't know half of what he said, hah. I don't remember exactly how he talked, VERY unfortunately, but it was along the lines of "Dinna let them (cows) muck aboot come dark, aye. Your deefness serve ye well, lad when ye see they be felons (?), aiinuh." Etc. I left completely bewildered and pondering the intricacies and origins of language, lol. (Yeah, I know that probably isn't what he said, but you get the drift!)

Recently, someone said birfday to me, and I was just SO confused because I lipread her and I KNOW there is an F in there, so I was just like um... what? I made her repeat it like a couple more times before I said "Are you saying birthday?" and she said "yea! birfday!"

So weird that they can't tell the difference!!!!

Recently, someone said birfday to me, and I was just SO confused because I lipread her and I KNOW there is an F in there, so I was just like um... what? I made her repeat it like a couple more times before I said "Are you saying birthday?" and she said "yea! birfday!"

So weird that they can't tell the difference!!!!

It drives me NUTS! And makes the person saying it, IMO, look/sound stupid or uneducated. When ya correct the person thy look at you like you're the one that it stupid. SMH

Ha ha ha! I'm laugh about the "Deaf" and "Dead" comments!!!

I remember many years ago, I was pregnant with my daughter, and I had to go to hospital for early check up. The doctor told me I had a heart murmer and left it to nurse to arrange follow-up care to moniter me throught the pregnancy. By this time, I was exhausted from lip reading the doctor and the nurse, and my husband had taken the younger kids out to play so I was on my own.

The nurse got on the phone to make the arrangements, and I heard her say "This girl is dead!"

I said to her "NO! I'm NOT dead! I am ALIVE!!!"

She cracked up laughing and said "NO!! I said you are DEAF! Not DEAD!!"...and all of us in the room, including the person on the other end of the phone laughed like hyenas!

I also have a T-shirt I bought from VicDeaf that says "It's okay, I said I'm DEAF, not DEAD!" with a picture of a Grim Reaper and a coffin!

Hee hee hee!!

AuslanGirl :)

My friend, Bless her, when she tells people that she's deaf, her lip patten/voice comes out as death.
This could be a great Halloween costume idea. Go as the Grim Reaper. "I am Death."

My phone autocorrects deaf to dead all the time. I have to be really careful when sending messages.

"Tim is Dead."

"OMG, Tim died."

"No, no. Tim is dead."
"Goddamit, stupid autocorrect."
"Tim is DEAF."

Back