deaf accent!

HOH you are bring threads back from the dead lol. I had a deaf accent when I was little. I had it drilled in my head that it was bad. I went to 2 years of speech therapy but some times catch myself using my accent. It makes my parents mad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Um why? Even AVT kids often have deaf accents.... Pisses me off that hearing parents think that speech can get rid of a deaf accent!

My parents thought I was fine and was just slow. I didn't say my first word until I was 3 years old. So my mom thought I was mentally slow. So when they learned later I had mod to server hearing loss with apd they felt bad that they thought I was slow and not hoh. Now they don't mind if I use it or not, but non of them learned sign so the rely on my speech

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I still have my deaf accent, but i am ashamed of it...it's really thick...Nobody understands me and say.."You speak too well to be deaf!" when i speak normally...whatever "Normal' is!!!!!!!!

We deafies could say we from different countries rather than USA!! I get skittish when I sign in public so I talk....I feel like I slipping out of my "normal" voice back to my deaf accent voice... hearing people don't understand me when I sign in asl at all.... mother deaf...not sure if my biological father is deaf...it would make sense....if father deaf....I was grow up I around deaf people I. Now I think in asl most of the time... I love asl I love see sign.....my biological father I am currently looking for... Because I want to reconnect with him I'm scared to death of what my father thinks of me as a person

Ha... many moons ago I had an internet pen pal. He's hard of hearing- no ASL... he said when he went to a soccer tournament in Chicago one year, in talking to someone he was asked if he was German! (no- he's Kentuckian lol).

I've been asked if I was from Boston. Nope... never lived in Boston or anywhere near here :).

Back