deaf accent!

From a waitress:
"Oh honey. A tea with a little bit of lemon and honey will clear that up."
"Um... No no Im not sick. Im deaf"
"Hahahahaha!! Youre so funny!!!!"
"...........Im serious."
".............OH my god.. OH MY GOD.. IM.. IM SO SORRY!" *runs away*

How funny is that? I'm sure miss lady wasn't gunning for a tip.:giggle:

I was big time into sing when I could hear it all. I still do sing by myself and in shower, but have not do public performance ever again. I can still read music and know chords/notes "feel" like. Its really a personal fear now to me, even though people "say" I talk just like I ever did before. I still talk all the time, but definately repress myself still around certain situations.

I have no clue what I sound like when I talk. My mom always says I sound normal, but she probably likes to try to make me feel good about talking, but I have no desire to talk. I want only to sign. I don't feel comfortable talking because I can't hear myself.

I'm just now asking my sister what I sound like when I talk. She says... hmmm, soon as she answers, I'll tell you ......................................................................
"UUUUUM" ............... "you sound like you"

well I guess that helps =/ well, whatever.

I have no clue what I sound like when I talk. My mom always says I sound normal, but she probably likes to try to make me feel good about talking, but I have no desire to talk. I want only to sign. I don't feel comfortable talking because I can't hear myself.

I'm just now asking my sister what I sound like when I talk. She says... hmmm, soon as she answers, I'll tell you ......................................................................
"UUUUUM" ............... "you sound like you"

well I guess that helps =/ well, whatever.

After all those years of hearing and speaking, you know you wont have an accent in this short time period, dont you? Of course you will sound like as usual, although you wont be hearing it .

-

After all those years of hearing and speaking, you know you wont have an accent in this short time period, dont you? Of course you will sound like as usual, although you wont be hearing it .

-

I probably don't, but you understand, I'm used to hearing myself when I talk, you know. That more than anything is why I feel uncomfortable. It's sort of like going out in public after having half your mouth numbed up for a dental procedure. You feel like your lip is hanging to one side and you're sure you must be druling all over the place, but you look in the mirror, and you look completely normal.

:giggle:

Many have asked me what part of the South I'm from. I'm from Minnesota so they're not even close! :) I don't mind it at all when people ask me about that, but what does get a little irritating is when I tell them I'm deaf, they are "Oh, I'm sooooo sorry."

Many have asked me what part of the South I'm from. I'm from Minnesota so they're not even close! :) I don't mind it at all when people ask me about that, but what does get a little irritating is when I tell them I'm deaf, they are "Oh, I'm sooooo sorry."

LOL that's hilarious cuz i'm from the south (Florida) and i usually get British. and YEA, i get the "oh i'm sorry" comment a lot too. hahaha.
a couple of times the convo went something like this:
stranger: ohhh where are u from?
me: miami
stranger: oh. but where are u FROM, where were u born?
me: miami
stranger: um... ok *looks confused* (this is if the person is a Floridian too)
me: but im also deaf too, so that has somethin to do with it.
stranger: oh ok. *pause* but, but... ur from miami? ur not from __*insert random country here*___.

LOL ?! however, that does NOT beat daredevel's waitress/lemon/honey experience! :laugh2:

sometimes, ill just stay i'm from Boston and they're like "OH ok" even tho it doesn't make that much sense, hahahaha.

Good point, Pepsi!

I used to especially hate it when my son would use voice with hearing kids on the playground, and some kid's mother would ask if he was "retarded". And I don't think they meant "cute".

What about the kids themselves? When I talk, the kids look up to me and say "Why does your voice sound so weird?". Their mothers always try to shut them up and apologize to me, and I tell them that I am okay with it because kids are just naturally curious. I tell the kids why my "voice sounds so weird" and most of the time they accept it right away (WAY more than adults!) and go back to playing with their ball. I love kids!

What about the kids themselves? When I talk, the kids look up to me and say "Why does your voice sound so weird?". Their mothers always try to shut them up and apologize to me, and I tell them that I am okay with it because kids are just naturally curious. I tell the kids why my "voice sounds so weird" and most of the time they accept it right away (WAY more than adults!) and go back to playing with their ball. I love kids!

Yeah, that has happened too, but with the kids it was usually more of a curiosity thing. Once it was explained, they were cool. But the parents should know better!

Agreed...gotta love the urchins!

I don't have a "deaf accent" per se, but I have been told that I sound like I'm "hearing impaired." (Please forgive me for the use of that term -- it's the term other hearies have used.) Before I received my CIs (I had severe-profound hearing loss for 10 years prior), I used to talk very loudly, in a monotone and with a lisp. Ever since getting my CIs, my family and friends have told me that my speech has greatly improved.

spykexboi is hoh.
[yt]hRn064pYrtE&feature=related[/yt]

"My Attempt At Singing"
[yt]RFXBYIwfjIg[/yt]

I remember one lady who thought I was from Norway cuz I sounded Norweighian. I've never had anyone else ask me that before. :shock:

When I went to NITD, everyone kept commenting on my Southern accent. I wonder how much of it was deaf speech and how much of it was Southern accent. :P

Ever since I got implanted, no one has asked me where I'm from cuz I'm told that I don't sound deaf and that my speech has improved greatly after implantation.

have u ever been asked "Oh u have an accent, where are u from??" - I get this constantly! :giggle:
the most popular guess i get is that I am British, the 2nd most popular is German, lol. which is funny because i am not, not at all. I was born here in the US. my background is European, but not UK, or German.
so what's the oddest guess/comment u have gotten regarding ur deaf accent?
never been asked (don't speak) but I do get "ASL accent"! :giggle: a couple of people have caught and identified me as californian by my 'sloppy' or 'fast' ASL. I find that funny in awe. :)

I don't have an accent, but I do have a howling voice that booms throughout the city. Did you forget, I'm a wolf.

I have issues pronouncing certain words correctly, and been told I have a bit of a lisp issue. Was actually asked if I had my tongue pierced because of the way I talk. I think its not always obvious but it happens. Is that a deaf accent? I wouldn't know

I've no idea if I have a deaf accent, I probably will do, but when I visit my friends in the south their parents can tell where I'm from. I do have a Mancunian Accent according to them(Manchester)

i disagree...im sorry, lol.
its just how i feel about it <3333

Of course you don't you are not deaf. :roll:

I like British, Irish, and Australian accents. I am deaf, but when I used hearing aids, I also really liked deaf accents. I think part of the reason that I like those particular accents is that they are the closest to what I grew up with and can understand them better than other accents. Other accents, while nice, I just cannot understand so I don't even bother trying to listen. If those people with the other accents want to communicate, they better STEP (from ADer BecLak: Sign, Text, Email, Pen and Paper).

I swear.. some people thought I am hearing.. gimme a break.. I don't use my voice that much but hell.. lol I can just ingore them cuz they ask dumb questions... ;) one asked me am I waiting for someone I was like no what the hell the guy wanted? :roll: how lame... but of course I learned a lesson bring a BOOK so I can read and swear to the book so i Don't end up talking to myself lol...

I was once walking with a girl about 10 years old and she said to me " You talk funny , like a monkey!" And I said 'Gee thanks !" and the girl said "you talk like
Bullwinkle's monkey!" She was giving a compliment ! LOL

I had been told I love a lovely French accent and Spanish accent! People have asked me where was I born!! But when intelligent people hear me talk they know I am HOH!!

Back