Daylight Savings Time (DST)

DeafMommy0407

Reaction score
I dont know if this is a repost or whatever. If so, I am sorry. Just wanted to inform you and pass this on. I am so puzzled and shocked at the same time. I think it is so stupid after all so here it goes!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gadget owners beware: Daylight-saving time has changed
By Erica Ogg, Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Daylight-saving time is springing forward three weeks earlier than usual this year, but consumers may be unaware that some of their gadgets won't automatically be making the transition.

Daylight-saving time (DST) will begin at 2 a.m. Sunday, March 11, and will end a week later than usual, on Sunday, November 4. The change, thanks to a massive federal energy bill passed in 2005 (click for PDF of energy bill) adds extra hours of daylight with the hope of decreasing national energy consumption.

This small change could have big implications for a range of gadget users, from employees of multinationals relying on their devices to remind them of appointments in different time zones to average consumers who count on their smart phones to be, well, smart, and tell the time correctly.

First, the good news: don't worry, your TiVo is fine. TiVo says it sent an automatic software update to its digital video recorder customers last month that included a patch for the DST switch.

But smart-phone customers should take heed: if they don't update both the mobile device and the computer software it synchronizes information from, scheduled items will be off by an hour.

"The way to think about it is to consider any deadline requirements an application has that are more specific than midnight or close of business," Pete Lindstrom, an analyst with the Burton Group, said in an e-mail. "Of course, financial transactions are of the most obvious concern, since minutes and even seconds can matter there. In a smaller way, other deadlines (like the end of the quarter) may be affected, but remember, (it)is only a four-week period...where the impact is felt."

The problem with DST and smart phones can be fixed with a software update that will adjust the date tables that are preprogrammed to tell the device when to move the clock forward or backward by an hour.

Consumers carrying a mobile phone running on any version of Windows Mobile except the recently released Windows Mobile 6 will have to download software updates from the Microsoft Web site to the devices themselves.

Microsoft says there are several ways to perform the update--for instance, downloading the software to a PC and syncing via a cable or downloading the update directly onto the device from Microsoft's Web site. Alternatively, IT department managers can issue an e-mail containing the update, which individuals have to install themselves.

But there are already signs DST won't be a perfectly smooth transition for gadget holders. Susan Bradley, a network administrator for an accounting firm in Fresno, Calif., reported having difficulty doing automatic updates for Windows Mobile phone users.

"I've had to manually update them and I don't know how larger firms will handle this," she said. "In my early tests, one phone is syncing to the mailbox with the right time, one isn't, and I haven't a clue as to why one is working and one isn't when they have all the same patches."

Some Palm devices run Windows Mobile, but for those running Garnet OS, formerly known as Palm OS, the update is not yet available. Palm is "currently working on" a DST software update, which will be posted on the Palm Web site along with instructions once it's available, according to a company spokesperson.

All BlackBerry models will also need to be updated. Individuals can manually download the software patch or IT managers can do the same and automatically push the update to all phones connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

BlackBerry users can instead choose to manually adjust the time forward and back on the appropriate days to avoid the software update altogether.

Though Research In Motion and Microsoft are letting customers know about the problem by posting fixes on their Web sites and e-mailing some customers in advance, the update process is complex enough that many users may not know whether the problem has been fixed on their device until they've missed an appointment, said Ken Dulaney, an analyst with Gartner.

"I expect over 90 percent of users to ignore any proactive effort on their part. If their company or operator is able to fix the problem then it gets fixed. Otherwise I think they will brute-force it and rearrange the appointments to fit the schedule," he said. "I think that many users will change their signature line on their smart phones and PDAs to say 'Please note, if I (am) an hour late or an hour early for my meeting with you, please understand, its not my fault, it's my government.'"

This year, daylight saving is starting early--a change that could cause Y2K-like headaches for IT professionals, and even for consumers.

Congress decided in 2005 to extend the period of daylight-saving time by three weeks in spring and one in the fall, reasoning that providing more daylight in the early evening would reduce energy use. However, the shift could cause trouble with software set to automatically advance its clock by an hour on the old date, the first Sunday in April, and not on the new date, the second Sunday in March.

"There has been a great deal of speculation of what the impact could be," said M3 Sweatt, chief of staff of Microsoft's customer service team. "For most people, the most apparent issue is that meetings and reminders may appear to be off by one hour."
But Microsoft may be downplaying the risk. Some say those companies that don't pay full attention to the issue are in for a rude awakening.

"We've been aware of the DST changes since late last year. But the tools and patches keep changing, or weren't available, which made it difficult to create a solid plan," said Warren Byle, a systems engineer at an insurance company. "This change might go smoothly for those who are prepared, but I think it will be the 'Y2K that wasn't' for the rest."

The move could impact time-sensitive applications other than calendaring, such as those that process sales orders or keep track of time cards. Gartner, for example, says the bug could lead to incorrect arrival and departure times in the travel industry and result in errors in bank transactions, causing late payments. In addition, trading applications might execute purchases and sales at the wrong time, and cell phone-billing software could charge peak rates at off-peak hours.

On top of that, the effect is expected to be felt around the world: Canada and Bermuda are conforming to the U.S.-mandated change, and time zone shifts have happened in other locales as well.

"It doesn't have to be Y2K to spell trouble for companies and governments," Phil Bond, chief executive of the Information Technology Association of America, said in a statement. "Organizations could face significant losses if they are not prepared."

The millennium bug cost cost the global economy billions of dollars, according to various reports. Analyst firm IDC predicted a price tag of $21 billion in the year 2000. The daylight-saving problem "is not Y2K scale," according to a recent Gartner report, but it could generate business procedure and IT system problems that can be somewhat disruptive, the research firm said.

Microsoft and other software makers have created patches to make their products ready for the switch and have filled Web pages with tips for customers. IT pros and consumers alike have to apply those updates. Otherwise, they will have to deal with electronic clocks that may be off by an hour, for three weeks starting March 11 and again for a week in the fall, when they go back on November 4 instead of October 28.

Dealing with the patches should be straightforward for most consumers. Microsoft released a daylight-saving fix for Windows XP Service Pack 2 on Tuesday, and it is pushing the patch out through the Automatic Updates feature in the operating system. An update is also available for Windows-based cell phones. However, the recently launched Windows Vista doesn't need a patch.

For businesses, getting ready is a different story. It isn't as straightforward to apply updates to Windows PCs and phones in a corporate environment, because of potential compatibility woes. Moreover, there are many other fixes that need to be applied, not just from Microsoft, but also from Oracle, IBM, Red Hat, Hewlett-Packard and other software suppliers.

Companies using Microsoft's Exchange for e-mail, for example, face a real patch challenge. Microsoft has updates for the Outlook and Entourage mail clients, and for Windows Server and Exchange Server--all of which need to be applied in a specific order and in rapid succession.

Adding to the patch challenge, Microsoft also has fixes for its SharePoint and Live Meeting collaboration tools, its Dynamics customer relationship management software and its SQL Server notification services.

"There is a lot of work to implement the needed changes," said Stance Nixon, a network systems manager at Kushner, Smith, Joanou & Gregson, an accounting firm in Irvine, Calif. "The worst part is needing to touch every computer twice--the operating system and then Outlook. Even after that we will have to manually recheck every appointment."

Another problem: many businesses still use software for which Microsoft has ended the main support period. Windows 2000 and Windows XP prior to Service Pack 2 are no longer supported, for example. The same goes for older versions of Exchange and Windows Server. Microsoft offers "hotfixes," or patches targeting the specific daylight-saving issue, for those systems for a flat $4,000 fee, Sweatt said.

And that's just Microsoft. Other vendors also have updates. Oracle is providing daylight-saving fixes for several of its applications, its database and its Java Virtual Machine. In addition, Sun Microsystems' Java Runtime Environment also stores rules about DST observance all around the globe, and Sun recommends that people update Java to avoid trouble.

While the operating system and Exchange are primary concerns, the Java update is causing the most headaches for Byle, the systems engineer at an insurance company. "Given that there are over 50 versions of Sun Java alone that could be in your environment, the OS and Exchange stuff doesn't seem too bad," he said.

Many application vendors, such as IBM and Oracle, include a custom version of Java in their applications. These also need to be updated for daylight-saving time compliance. While many applications get their time information from the operating system, there are also applications that rely on additional software, such as Java, to stay on time.

Mac users also have to get on board. Apple said it fixed the daylight-saving time problem for Mac OS X Tiger, the most recent edition of the operating system, in a February 2006 update. It posted a fix for Mac OS X Panther, an earlier version, on Thursday.
Also on the list is the challenge of centrally updating mobile devices such as laptops and smart phones. Without a fix, calendars on those devices will show appointments at the incorrect time.

"My stupid calendar-synching phones--I haven't a clue how to automate the deployment updates to Windows mobile phones," said Susan Bradley, a network administrator at an accountancy firm in Fresno, Calif. "So far, I've had to manually update them, and I don't know how larger firms will handle this."

Also, networking hardware may not be ready for the daylight-saving time change, which may impact the logging of activity such as who accesses the network and when, Bradley said. Some enterprise hardware makers, such as Cisco Systems and Juniper Networks, have provided online guidance for customers.

To soften the impact, Microsoft recommends users of its products to pay extra attention to meetings and appointments scheduled between March 11 and April 1, as well as between October 28 and November 4. (The daylight-saving time change means the clock is going to be turned back on the first Sunday in November instead of the last Sunday in October.)

"Users should view any appointments that fall into these date ranges as suspect until they communicate with all meeting invitees to make sure that the item shows up correctly on everyone's calendar both internally and externally," Microsoft has advised.

At Bradley's accounting firm, the IT team is telling employees to confirm the time of an appointment in the subject line of every meeting request as a workaround.

"When I talk to folks, no one has a clue this is coming and is just assuming it will magically work," Bradley said.

WTF!? The government decided to change the daylight savings!? Damn!

I'm sure Microsoft will have an upgrade for that as well. ;)

The government wants to save energy, lower our electricity bills, and reduce how much energy is used.. At least that's what they say.

I can understand why they'd want less energy, it would save the enviroment and all that..

I'm not surprise about it. I've heard it last year news. I agree with them. You'll save money on electric bill.

It may cause a few headaches, missed appointments, etc., overall, it may be a good thing...more so when consumers get their utility bills. ;)

Other than that, it's going to be a bit earlier than usual when we'll lose that one hour of sleep-- :giggle:

~RR

Oh shit, we will lose 1 hour from job, making 7 hours instead of 8 hours.

haha, one thing, i dont think daylight changes will affect energy bills and etc at all. It's just time changing. I dont know how that affect enegy by simply changing daylight time.

It may cause a few headaches, missed appointments, etc., overall, it may be a good thing...more so when consumers get their utility bills. ;)

Other than that, it's going to be a bit earlier than usual when we'll lose that one hour of sleep-- :giggle:

~RR

I don't like lose one hour sleep drats!!! This means will be:pissed: in the mornings :giggle:

haha, one thing, i dont think daylight changes will affect energy bills and etc at all. It's just time changing. I dont know how that affect enegy by simply changing daylight time.

It will, because once daylights savings goes into effect, people make a conscious decision to lower how much heat/electricity they use during the summer.. Most homes are using less light for longer periods of time. I'm sure you've noticed that during the summer, the sun rises earlier and sets later.. Normally during the summer, sunrise is around 5 to 6am, and sunset is at 8 or 9pm.

So lights are generally off during this time. because it's so bright in the home with sunlight streaming in. Plus we're not using heaters to keep us warm, although we do use fans or air conditioning.

~RR

BINGO GROWL!!!!!!!!! i hate to lose my sleep blah :giggle:

and my computer gone crazy few times ack!!!! but it is alright i hope grr
dang

It will, because once daylights savings goes into effect, people make a conscious decision to lower how much heat/electricity they use during the summer.. Most homes are using less light for longer periods of time. I'm sure you've noticed that during the summer, the sun rises earlier and sets later.. Normally during the summer, sunrise is around 5 to 6am, and sunset is at 8 or 9pm.

So lights are generally off during this time. because it's so bright in the home with sunlight streaming in. Plus we're not using heaters to keep us warm, although we do use fans or air conditioning.

Yeah, but as the sunlight time wont be any different, but just a time itself change, wont be any different about the energy. It will have same length of time we use before or after, but the only thing change is the length of daylight, not the time itself.

Ahhh dang... gonna have to see what will happen in abuot a week with the DST changing earlier... as for one hour of sleep lost.. hmm that aint good but oh well ...

:bowdown: to daylight savings why? I can be out later than the usual :P but I'll be more grouchy in the mornings but it's worth my time to be happy for ;)

It would be far better to set the clocks ahead an hour on March 11th and then leave it that way year-round. We would have more daylight year-round and less energy consumption. Changing the clocks twice a year is a waste of time.

simple... go to bed earlier than usual the night before the daylight time changes! :giggle: then you'll get your full 8 hours of sleep!

Back