Daycare teacher sleeping on the job...

oh I agree don't watch my kids and that my hypocritical stand point,but I still ask why other helper not give her quick shake and as that not happen so that is debatable to.

Does she even have any sick leave available? Let alone paid sick leave in what is likely to be a very low wage job. That may have made a difference in whether she took time off or not to see how the new meds would affect her.

Last edited:
Here's the latest. The daycare has refused to give us a refund claiming that despite the incident, Robert received excellent care. We paid upfront through to the end of the month. $885. They watched him a total of five days. They DID give us our deposit back which was $100.

I'm not much of a "legal action" kind of guy. Advice on alternatives on getting my money back?

she going find it hard to get a new job...part of me feels sorry for her,she did not commit a crime is good woman(must be looking after children) she been humiliated over the world..Depending on her reason for nodding off MAYBE second chance no judgements..
yes I am hypocrite I would not want her in charge of my kids but would not want that nursery looking after them if she only one in class got to be more than one adult for situations like this

Here's the latest. The daycare has refused to give us a refund claiming that despite the incident, Robert received excellent care. We paid upfront through to the end of the month. $885. They watched him a total of five days. They DID give us our deposit back which was $100.

I'm not much of a "legal action" kind of guy. Advice on alternatives on getting my money back?

Tell them you will contact the news agency that covered the story and let them know. Threat of more bad publicity might change their mind. If it doesn't then tell the news agency.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I would think it all depends on the contract. Usually you don't pay for the days he is not there and entitled a refund. I see that all the time on Judge Judy. If you paid up front and it was optional then yes you should get a refund.

I'm no lawyer but you should contact one for free consultation and see if you have a case for a small courts claim.

I want to explain something... I came and posted this here because I've tossed and turned over this. Seeing myself on news in other cities and... reading the comments on the KXAN Facebook news feed... Really made me question myself. Did I do the right thing? No? A lot of people think I didn't. My friends are behind me on my fb page but the public? Not so much. I wanted to get an impartial opinion from you guys. Y'all are straight up so it'll give me perspective.

Honestly I was surprised at the public's reaction to your actions. You would think they would be outraged as well. I am sure if it was their own kids there, they would have done the same. Some people are just being assholes for the sake of it.

Believe you have all the evidence...and I feel you deserve your $$ back. I'd get a good lawyer, and get my $$ back, plus all the lawyer fees than ensue...even the days you might have to take off work for Court, even the gas $$....I'd ask for punitive damages too...the whole "she-bang"!...

A good Lawyer can and will ask for that. Good Luck!

You did the right thing! I would take my child out, and demand the refund. If they refused, the whole information will go to news. If they cooperate with me as giving me money back, and I'll keep it low. I do not feel bad for that lady, because she is not supposed to work if she is sick/tired/or on medication that cause her drowsy.

You did the right thing! I would take my child out, and demand the refund. If they refused, the whole information will go to news. If they cooperate with me as giving me money back, and I'll keep it low. I do not feel bad for that lady, because she is not supposed to work if she is sick/tired/or on medication that cause her drowsy.

Authentic, did you or anyone else, take time to really read what I posted at post #24 and copied below? I can't help but feel what I brought up was an issue in why she was there that day.

Does she even have any sick leave available? Let alone paid sick leave in what is likely to be a very low wage job. That may have made a difference in whether she took time off or not to see how the new meds would affect her.

Please respond to the issue of being able to afford to be off that I brought up.

If a care worker is too sick to do the job, or has a communicable illness, then he or she needs to stay home. The number one priority is the care of those in their charge. This includes children, disabled adults, and the elderly.

Read your contract about how the money is refunded if you leave after paying for their time. If you post it to your facebook page they may refund it anyway.

And you're right, there are a bunch of red flags besides the woman being asleep. You were able to walk into the facility and walk around and get to the kids without anyone noticing, if I understand correctly. You did not do that, but you had the ability to. Then the woman let you wander around alone in the facility. Every day care that I have been in to recently has the doors locked to people trying to come in, in some way. Some have a doorbell and someone comes to the door, others have a code the parents punch in, some have a double door system where you come in the first store and then you have a locked door to get through (usually you press a bell and someone comes to that door to open it), and there is always someone there when you get through the doors. You're never allowed through unattended. They don't care when you drop in and if you come at random, and you're allowed to look around, but you can't walk around by yourself if you're a stranger because that's a risk to the kids.

Also, there are state mandated ratios of people to kids. It looked like that room had only one adult and a bunch of kids, more kids than the state ratio. Check the ratios for your state and the age of the kids (the younger the kids, the more adults are needed) and bring that up as a reason they should refund your money as well as all the other safety guidelines they were breaking.

Authentic, did you or anyone else, take time to really read what I posted at post #24 and copied below? I can't help but feel what I brought up was an issue in why she was there that day.

Please respond to the issue of being able to afford to be off that I brought up.

This is an internal issue and has no bearing on the care of my child. I agree that being a daycare worker is mostly an unforgiving and punishing job but... if one is not physically able to do the work then one shouldn't be doing it. I did not make her become a child caregiver. The same goes for someone working as a day laborer or a bus driver. Lives are put in their care by someone. Leadership should be handled with a straight edge. I routinely observe my employees and ensure they're in tip-top shape as we do dangerous work ourselves.

That being said... I simply am more outraged with how the daycare handled the issue. Telling me to "let it rest" was not an acceptable nor professional response. Primarily since I never mentioned the news or anything like that.

I have also since talked to several other parents from my son's school and one of them mentioned that this woman was actually fired from her previous daycare job for sleeping. I was highly skeptical but I gave this information to the DFPS caseworker and she confirmed this.

I am more inclined to think that her diet is why she struggles with staying awake. After all, she does have a giant Big Gulp nestled right next to her. Highly obese. Food coma anyone?

Poor people tend to be much fatter than people with more money. I wonder if she has a second job that makes her sleep through this one.

It doesn't really matter why she was sleeping (and it's really not because she's fat, unless she has sleep apnea, which also makes people fat).

The point is she was sleeping and she should be fired for that because of how seriously unsafe it is.

sleep apnea make people fat? That's a new one... usually the obesity causes the sleep apnea.

My son got a deep cut on outside of eye when he was in the box. He fell down, while the table was there where the corner of the table was toward to him as his face landed on the corner of table then on the floor. THANK GOD, He still has eyes. When i learned, and i ran down to the first floor while I work on the different floors. The director of the daycare, felt awful and offered me a ride while I was with my son. She dropped us off at the hospital. I wasnt mad at the day care workers because they were there, and didnt realize when it was too fast then accident rigth away. BUT Can you image that if teacher was sleeping while kid takes something to do that isnt safe. Any daycare workers know that medicine makes drowsy then dont take pill until after work or change the job to the business office.

Back