Daycare Catering To Kids Who Use Asl??

Coolio

Reaction score
Hello, just doing some research and even though I've been googling for hours, I cannot find a daycare centre specifically for kids who use ASL. And I just wondered if there are any parents of children who are deaf, HoH, has ASD or any other communication issue where they might use ASL or even pecs/iPad and wondered what experiences you had when putting your child in daycare. If they get an extra eca who signs or teaches them to use the pec system and recognize words/pictures or use special strategies to facilitate language? I'm assuming there is a whole process that I am not privy to and resources that parents get through the city or other agencies like Bob Rumball centre for the deaf or holler bloor view (these are all in Toronto where i am) anyway.. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks!

One small grandchild goes to daycare with ASL. But they live in the metro where the deaf school is located, so quite a big deaf population. It's just a private home daycare.

One small grandchild goes to daycare with ASL. But they live in the metro where the deaf school is located, so quite a big deaf population. It's just a private home daycare.
Thank you, do you know if it is licensed or unlicensed? I know they have both in home are setting. Also it is only for kids who use ASL? Or a mixture?

Thank you, do you know if it is licensed or unlicensed? I know they have both in home are setting. Also it is only for kids who use ASL? Or a mixture?
I assume licensed, but only because my daughter is a very responsible person. Everybody uses ASL, a mix at that age isn't really good.

The only daycare I know of is the one at Gallaudet- or at least there used to be one. Licensed as it was a day care for children of employees, students and I am guessing anyone who wanted to place their child there. Mainly for deaf kids but it was a mix of hearing and deaf kids. Everybody used ASL (or really sign and voice...).

I live where our deaf school is and we don't have any asl friendly day cares. But I am teaching my own kids so it doesn't matter to me all that much.

Hello, just doing some research and even though I've been googling for hours, I cannot find a daycare centre specifically for kids who use ASL. And I just wondered if there are any parents of children who are deaf, HoH, has ASD or any other communication issue where they might use ASL or even pecs/iPad and wondered what experiences you had when putting your child in daycare. If they get an extra eca who signs or teaches them to use the pec system and recognize words/pictures or use special strategies to facilitate language? I'm assuming there is a whole process that I am not privy to and resources that parents get through the city or other agencies like Bob Rumball centre for the deaf or holler bloor view (these are all in Toronto where i am) anyway.. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks!

Have you thought about posting a want ad asking if there is someone available that can care for your child and uses ASL? I don't know the requirements for someone to be able to care for a child, but this is just a thought. Maybe there is someone but it is not announced. Ask other agencies like a deaf school or ASL instructor, deaf center, etc. if they could be on the look out for you for someone who does child care that knows ASL.

Have you thought about posting a want ad asking if there is someone available that can care for your child and uses ASL? I don't know the requirements for someone to be able to care for a child, but this is just a thought. Maybe there is someone but it is not announced. Ask other agencies like a deaf school or ASL instructor, deaf center, etc. if they could be on the look out for you for someone who does child care that knows ASL.
You really have to do your homework when hiring someone to watch your child today ,

thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. I was actually looking into because I was thinking of opening such a place. I have another friend who works with kids with ASD and does behavior therapy and asked if I would ever work in a daycare setting. I would love to have my own room with my own little guys who all sign. Business plan and those sorts of details seem to be the easy part. I'm looking into what the curriculum might be, best teaching strategies and in general what is the best way to make this a reality. So it's all in research stage at the moment, but as I said while researching I found that there were not options in Toronto. I guess i am going to call and ask to have a tour of the facility ( usually they give those to prospective parents or people who might want to apply to work there) so that shouldn't be an issue.

My daughter is deaf and while she goes to a "normal" daycare, I have brought in print outs from the internet with ASL pictures and they have been more than happy to learn the signs and do them with my daughter. How much they are using it when I'm not around, I don't know, but they were very enthusiastic and said its their job to learn if they have a child who is deaf. They said who knows if they'll ever have other kids who need it and its just good for them to know. They are a state-funded daycare, so they may actually use my printouts to get training credits!

Back