Daughter's HA appointment

JadeSkye

Reaction score
So, my three year old has an appointment for Thursday with the ENT/Audiologist to discuss her hearing results and fit her for hearing aids. I guess they will be making the molds at this appointment and then we will have another one once they are made to make sure they fit and work and everything, right?

Having never done anything like this before, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas for how to keep her calm during the "molding" process (not sure what it's called but I guess they put some kind of "goo" in her ears?). She is general a little slow to warm up to doctors (not sure why, always been the more shy of my two kids and maybe that's part of it- not as comfortable with unknown). And I have no clue what it would be like to have that stuff put in your ears so don't know how that might feel to her. I know there are parents on here who have kids with HA's- what has that experience been like with your kids? Any good distraction techniques that you use? :ty: in advance! :)

It isn't painful; it just feels wet and squishy. The first appointment shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. The second appointment is made when the hearing aids are ready. The audiologist checks them for fit and they’re programed for her range of loss. If they need adjustments, they do it at that time. I doubt she’ll be uncomfortable or need to be distracted.

Laura

Like Laura said, no pain. Just cold and squishy, then your ear feel clogged up of-course.

I would bring some small toys, new ones, wrapped up as presents. Put them in a cute bag or something and have her pick out one at a time. Go to the dollar store or something. At that age my kids LOVED a few pieces of construction paper, a scissor and a glue stick, but go with what you think she would like--sticker books, some small figurines or whatever she likes. Even a new coloring book and crayons. That should keep her occupied. It doesn't take that long.

Just let her know what is going to happen. "They will have you sit in a chair, they will mix up some stuff that looks like play-dough but it's special doctor play-dough that only they can put in your ears :D. It might be pink even (that is what color mine has always been). Then they will take a tube and squirt this in your ear. It will feel cold and kind of slippery but it won't hurt. You have to sit with it in your ear for a while and we can color or play a game while you are waiting. Then when it's ready the take it out of your ear and we can get some ice cream on the way home because I know you will sit still for the doctor." I found my kids were always more cooperative if they knew what was going to happen before hand.

I don't think it has to be cold. At least I think I remember a pleasant surprise. :cool2:

I actually kind of like getting the molds made. It feels like it cleans out my ears :D.

I felt like they were making a mud pie in my ears....:lol:

I thought they used the foam stuff rather then the coolidin ....remmy that?

I've never had foam ever in my life...it's always felt like play dough....in fact with my current audi, it looks like one of those bags they use to frost cakes and they just squeeze it into your ear and curl it around. It feels funny but no pain and very, very quick. Kind of fun....

I would just explain to her in advance what's going to happen. When you get to the Audi, she/he can explain the process again and allow her to feel it before they put it in her ear.

The biggest thing is making sure she doesn't touch it while it's still hardening. If you think she won't be able to resist touching her ears, bring something to keep her hands busy. If you have an iPhone, or iPod with children's games that would probably be a good distraction.

Unless she is the particularly anxious type, as long as you keep her in the loop she should be good. It's not really a traumatic process. As someone else mentioned, you might want to also tell her that her ears will feel plugged up and she will have a more diminished sense of hearing for a few minutes.

I am also a parent of a child with bilateral hearing aids.

I would bring some small toys, new ones, wrapped up as presents. Put them in a cute bag or something and have her pick out one at a time. Go to the dollar store or something. At that age my kids LOVED a few pieces of construction paper, a scissor and a glue stick, but go with what you think she would like--sticker books, some small figurines or whatever she likes. Even a new coloring book and crayons. That should keep her occupied. It doesn't take that long.

Just let her know what is going to happen. "They will have you sit in a chair, they will mix up some stuff that looks like play-dough but it's special doctor play-dough that only they can put in your ears :D. It might be pink even (that is what color mine has always been). Then they will take a tube and squirt this in your ear. It will feel cold and kind of slippery but it won't hurt. You have to sit with it in your ear for a while and we can color or play a game while you are waiting. Then when it's ready the take it out of your ear and we can get some ice cream on the way home because I know you will sit still for the doctor." I found my kids were always more cooperative if they knew what was going to happen before hand.

:gpost: I think the pink material they use to make the impression is pretty standard.

I hadn't read your post before I posted mine. I wholeheartedly agree that keeping the child privy to what's going to happen (even before you get there) is key.

Hopefully she is getting to pick a cool color for the earmolds. Explain that to get the cool earmolds, she needs to not touch, and sit quietly while it hardens.

I think she'll be fine with an ipod or something else to keep her busy, it's really nothing. the Audi takes a tiny piece of cotton with string tied to it and puts that far in my ear canal. Then she takes some blue stuff and some white stuff, then squishes it together in her hands until it's blended. Then she puts it in a fat syringe (no needle) and squirts it in my ear. Wait a bit and she takes it out. Voila!

I think she'll be fine with an ipod or something else to keep her busy, it's really nothing.

Don't you have to wear something in the ear for the ipod? I'd just talk to her and encourage her...it really only takes a few minutes...

Don't you have to wear something in the ear for the ipod? I'd just talk to her and encourage her...it really only takes a few minutes...

You play games on iPod Touch. Angry Birds, etc..

Thanks for all the great information :). We always take the Ipad and my dad's Kindle Fire with us so she has plenty of distractions. I will probably go ahead and get her some new coloring or sticker books too to help keep her distracted. I will also try to make sure she understands what is happening, although I will probably explain it right before it happens (not sure how much she is hearing at the moment and those are hard concepts to try to explain to her without her having a basis for understanding what/why I am trying to explain this to her).

Now I'm just worried that after this appointment she is going to think it is ok to put Play-Dough in her ears because the doctors did it!! :giggle:

lol when I get my earmolds made, they feel kinda ticklish inside and I would be all "LOL!"

Finished with the appointment! YAY! She did AMAZING with the molds- no fussing or shying away and did not even try to touch them while they were drying. :) She will be getting Phonaks (not sure of the rest of the name- the names for these things are so long!) with the aid part in light pink (I was looking at the clear purple but my husband thought pink would match most of her clothes best) and a light blue ear mold for now (these will probably be changed in six months because of her growing). Hopefully they will look nice with those colors- hubby really picked the colors (she didn't even care about that part) and said since most of her clothes are some sort of blue or pink that those two colors should be good. Now hopefully she will wear them once we get them (with as good as she did with the molds, I am hoping that means she will be good with wearing them).

Back