Date with a deaf person

Lukey1616

Reaction score
Hi I'm luke I'm 16 in gay and I'm going on a date with a deaf person he said he can hear with his hearing aids and talk but I'm a quiet talker and I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable and I'm scared in case he gets annoyed because he can't understand what I'm saying what do i do

1) 2) pick a place that's nicely lit but not overly noisey (music is cool just not loud ) or crowded. 3) well lit area, speak a bit slower if you talk fast, bring pen and paper just incase and face him whenever you speak. Also phones and the notes apps work too as does texting 4) Just be yourself don't be nervous .5) Don't treat him as helpless or broken 6) Speak up so he can hear you but don't shout.

You'll work out communication as you go. You'll figure out what works. I have friends that are in Deaf/hearing relationships and they seem to make it work. In all cases of my friends, the hearing people are learning to use ASL. So if he communicates with ASL as his primary language you should be ready to learn that if things are going well. In the meantime, you can always use texting, pen/paper, there are all kinds of communication tools now. Good luck. Have a great time on your date.

Stand in front of a mirror and practice speaking slowly, with more volume, and clearly. Anything you practice will improve. Since you call yourself a quiet talker, either get over it or forget about this guy. I can guarantee that learning to speak clearly will help you all your life- help with friends, with jobs... and a bunch of your friends will let you know they often had trouble understanding you before this!

Back