Darn Dentist...

labuchholz

Reaction score
Hey friends. I'm sure this subject has been discussed at LENGTH but I am digging around for answers and I would like your feedback.
I am hearing (terp) and my husband is Deaf, non-oral, does not read lips, strictly ASL. I have gone to this dental office a few times and really like(d) them a lot. Called to make an appointment for my hubby and I to be seen, as he has been having some tooth pain and we both need a cleaning. Made the whole appointment and when it came time for me to request a terp, they said "oh we don't do that. We usually just write with our deaf patients and it's fine." I told them that he would really prefer having an interpreter, especially since this is his first time meeting a new provider, etc. and they were still resistant saying that pen and paper is enough.
We contacted DHH services, they had to pester this office manager several times to even get a response from her, and were able to educate her about the ADA requirements/etc. All was well.
1 week before the appt, I thought I'd call to make sure they had actually followed through. I left a message since there was no answer. The next day I received a TEXT MESSAGE that said "We use a message pad for deaf patients in our office and works very well. No sign here"
I called back that same day (blood boiling a little) and asked them to please CALL us, not send a text message response. I got a call finally today from the office saying that they do not hire interpreters and there is no need to communicate during the exam, and they will give us a printout of what the Dr's findings are after the exam.

Well, I'm irritated. The area we live in is SATURATED with terps. It would not be difficult at all and I have told them several times that I'm happy to help them find a qualified interpreter and walk them through the process.

What do you guys think? I have no interest in seeing this dentist AT ALL anymore, but it's just the principle of the dang thing. When I made my first prenatal appointment the receptionist said "Oh I see your husband is deaf, would you like an interpreter for this appointment?" Even for an appointment not strictly about him, because they know it's his baby, they offered. He has never ever had an issue getting a terp.

Update: She just called me to tell me she cancelled my appointment so that I could come in and interpret for him.

Last edited:
Dump 'em and go to another dentist. Sometimes it's just more work to fight with a particular provider, whatever specialty that may be, and it's just easier to just move on. I live with the satisfaction that I won't let them get the best of me, or my business, and I usually end up finding someone else I really like, in the end.

So are you going to interpret for your husband , I can't believe they cancelled your appointment without asking you first ! I agree with jonnyghost find
a better dentist . If there are a lot of terps were you live there must a need for them so there has to a dentist will get one for your husband .

So are you going to interpret for your husband

The whole point of the thread was that she wanted an interpreter for him because she herself had an appointment the same day AND in general it is NOT a good idea to have spouse or family be interpreting for you. I know people do it anyway (I have one acquaintance whose mother interprets for her everywhere- she's 50 her mother 75....). So am guessing that she won't interpret for her husband.

to OP
Considering the fact they are trying to save money and tried to do an end run around your requests by canceling YOUR appointment so you can interpret for HIS appointment that just boggles my mind...I'd be canceling yours and go look for someone else.

Then go on #deaffriendly (www.deaffriendly.com) and write a review explaining what happened. Might help other deaf folks avoid that dentist.

Hopefully you've notified DHH services of what has happened. This dentist office should be reported to whoever handles ADA issues.

Idk if you need one for the dentist but that is not the point here. The fact that they wouldn't give you one is kind of messed up. They should at least have the option to accommodate if needed.

Why not one <terp> for a dentist? It's medical-related, especially if and when they do x-rays and other things. I sure agree this is messed up! Sometimes it sucks having to choose between principles or doing the logistically "easier" thing.:mad:

Wow...that's so messed up.

I always request an interpreter right away when I make an appointment. I've had the odd chances where they've forgotten and I've rescheduled because I hate not knowing what's going on.

But, simply not giving one even though you requested one? That's barbaric :pissed:

http://www.ada.gov/effective-comm.htm

I found this ADA web site , maybe you should made a copy of your rights and carry it with you when going to appointments . I thought medical offices had to know what
ADA Act covered .
I'm sure the medical office KNOWS, but is ignoring it. The OP even said that the DHH called the office and told them. The dentist office probably figures they can get away with it because people won't go through the hassle of trying to sue them or whatever.

I am curious was the dentist a private or cooperation practice?

My wife and I use interpreter a lot (local terp agency loves us) and I am pretty well verse on ADA laws when it come to Deaf people and communications.

ADA never state that it is *required* for them to provide an interpreter to a Deaf person. It state that it is require for them to provide an *effective* communication and unfortunately ADA does consider pen and paper as one of the effective communication methods but yes a Deaf person can say no it not an effective communication method to him/her and he/she still can demand an interpreter. (Those who cannot read or does not understand written English very well)

But ...

ADA also protect the businesses from "undue burden", example if the dentist office is a small private practice where the interpreter may actually cost more than what the dentist would charge for the services done on the patient that day then it is an undue burden and the dentist lose out. Same with private doctor offices.

My doctor charges me 75 dollar for check up and follow up when I need to renew my Rx every 4 months and the terp charges him 35 an hour with a min of two hours so that 70 dollar for the terp even it take my doctor only 35 minutes to check me out each time I go visit him. But he is a cooperation doctor so he not complaining and doesn't care when I ask for a terp because he get his regular paycheck. But a private doctor may be different and will deny to get an interpreter once they find out the cost for an terp becasue of undue burden.

My last doctor visit, they finally brought in a VRI and I knew I could not complain because it was still an effective communication since it was only a follow up visit and the cooperation that the doctor work for is pushing VRI at all their offices and hospital.

Only place they do not push VRI anymore is in their emergency room, I know this because they did tried to push VRI on my wife when she had an emergency and I told them that it WAS NOT an effective communication if my wife could not sit up or adjust herself without feeling so much pain to be able to look at the tiny VRI screen. Same with paper and pen, her hand couldn't stay steady and her eyes was dazed. Once I told them how well verses I am on ADA laws on effective communication, an terp showed up 10 minutes later and VRI was removed from the ER room.

We did went to a private doctor for my wife pregnancy and when they found our how much a terp cost, they flat out refuse to service us unless it was on paper and pen. We knew we really couldn't do anything about this because it was considered an undue burden so after this we switch to a different doctor that was under a cooperation because we knew they would get a terp but now they have changed over to a VRI.

Last edited:
Back