Dad Tried Reviving Daughter Left In Hot Car By Putting Her In Refrigerator, Police Say

hoichi

Reaction score
brutal just brutal..

Dad tried reviving daughter left in hot car by putting her in refrigerator, police say

Dallas-area man forgot about his 6-month-old daughter as she sat sweltering in a hot minivan for four hours Tuesday, and when he remembered her, he tried putting the unresponsive child in a refrigerator to revive her before she died, police said.

Michael Thedford, 33, was charged with manslaughter and booked into the Collin County Jail after the grim discovery. He was released on $20,000 bond later in the day. Jail records did not list an attorney.

Thedford, an unemployed former high school teacher, dropped off his 3-year-old and 5-year-old children at daycare around 9 a.m. on Tuesday, but when he returned to his home in Melissa, Thedford forgot about his 6-month-old daughter, according to a warrant viewed by KHOU. He went inside the house to take a four-hour nap before waking up and realizing the baby girl remained in the hot minivan.

When he found the girl she was unresponsive, according to the warrant, so Thedford brought her inside the house and put her in a refrigerator for "an undetermined length of time." He then called his wife, who was at work, and 911 while trying unsuccessfully to perform CPR.

Authorities arrived around 1:30 p.m. to find the girl dead in the kitchen.

The National Weather Service reported the temperature at the nearby McKinney National Airport had risen to the low 90s but felt like the upper 90s by Tuesday afternoon.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/22...tcmp=obnetwork

He used to be a high school teacher and yet he didn't know not to put a baby in the refrigerator?

:hmm:

I think he was trying to lower the body temperature to appear less culpable in the death.

I think he was trying to lower the body temperature to appear less culpable in the death.
Consciousness of guilt, yep. He knew he did wrong.

I suspect there could be more to his "forgetfulness" and four-hour nap, too.

Poor kids. :(

Oh wow, I can't imagine if I forget to take child out of car.

For all of you with kids, you MUST, I means you MUST check surrounding around car to make sure if there is no child in car before you leaving, also it is your responsibility.

Putting a dead kid who died of a heat stroke into a fridge just to cool the kid off? Oh yeah, that's smart. Real smart. Makes me think something was somehow missing in the story. Especially the part about a four hour nap. He's unemployed. What was it that he was doing all night or something before he was so tired in the morning when he took the kids off to daycare?

There is a Youtube video dedicated to this particular issue. It actually focuses on the reactions of other people witnessing a (fake) baby crying in a hot car. It was alarming at how many people just walked by ignoring it...

This one is just one more to add to the list. It makes no difference that he put her in the frig, what matters is he forgot her in the car. This happens on average 37 times a year since 1998. What is surprising is the age of the victims: infant to 14 years old. Most of the older kids were playing in the car and not left there by parents. The auto manufacturers can solve this problem: if they can make a car that will begin braking if your close to a collision with another vehicle, they can put a sensor in the car seat restraint that will sound an alarm to alert you to a child left in the car.

Back