Culture language native

Wirelessly posted

Berry said:
I don't have a problem understanding your posts -- I do find myself thinking in ASL when I read them.

hard not.

Same here. Keep it up smithtr! Don't change anything. We need you writing in ASL.

Peace Bottesini:I altered the word to "forum" members from "cult".

I guess I must be "misreading" as the bulk of comments in this thread "appear to be in English construction".

I have never taken ASL "syntax construction" when I took Intro ASL.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Because we are talking in English... ASL doesn't actually have a written form. And Smithtr has been working hard to learn the English grammar and syntax.

He is doing a wonderful job and getting better everyday. Encouragement rather than mockery is a better thing to do.

Wirelessly posted

Same here. Keep it up smithtr! Don't change anything. We need you writing in ASL.

But his point is he is learning to write in English. He is wonderfully fluent in ASL.

Bottesini: As for smithtr being a native ASL-fine as far as it goes. Presumably "learned English" at some later point in his life. Thus the question when was - ESL-English as a SECOND LANGUAGE started? In Canada ESL is a well known idea. Seems to take "much time to absorb" so I understand from the newspapers.

I am well aware that ASL/BSL et al is NOT in written format just signed.

Last edited:
Bottesini: As for smithtr being a native ASL-fine as far as it goes. Presumably "learned English" at some later point in his life. Thus the question when was - ESL-English as a SECOND LANGUAGE started? In Canada ESL is a well known idea.Seems to take "much time to absorb" so i have the newspapers.

I am well aware that ASL/BSL et al is NOT in written format just signed.

The point was he started out with the ESL and it didn't work so he didn't learn ASL until about 12 to 14. That caused a lot of his problems.

Bottesini: thanks for the info will keep in mind- before making any further comment.

You are welcome Bottesini:

Prof sky sends your herd of sleeping hounds a real hot meow while you drink a chilled EarleGrey tea in the Rocking chair

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07.

You are welcome Bottesini:

Prof sky sends your herd of sleeping hounds a real hot meow while you drink a chilled EarleGrey tea in the Rocking chair

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07.

Hi to Prof SKY. Poor dogs are all sleeping on their backs with legs in air.

Not it the ASL sense, (dead) but trying to cool off.

I don't even want cold tea in this heat, just ice water. It did cool off a little in Toronto, yes?

About 3 degrees-not much. Off to the street Fest: Beaches Jazz Festival here on Queen Street East. About 40 band/groups playing on various street corners-7.00 till 11.00pm This is the 23 rd. Amazing-keeps going. Seems about a million people expected down here- this weekend.
Still relax Bottesini with lots of icewater.

About 3 degrees-not much. Off to the street Fest: Beaches Jazz Festival here on Queen Street East. About 40 band/groups playing on various street corners-7.00 till 11.00pm This is the 23 rd. Amazing-keeps going. Seems about a million people expected down here- this weekend.
Still relax Bottesini with lots of icewater.

Have fun and stay in shade!

Because we are talking in English... ASL doesn't actually have a written form. And Smithtr has been working hard to learn the English grammar and syntax.

He is doing a wonderful job and getting better everyday. Encouragement rather than mockery is a better thing to do.

Agreed. I have seen much improvement in his English syntax. And because he is working so hard to learn, I always phrase my responses to him in English. It isn't that I don't respect his native language; it is that he has requested help from us all with his English.

Wirelessly posted

On the ASL only thread you drphil wrote only in English - so what is with the fingerpointing? Since a good majority of the members on this forum know and use sign language you therefore are a little outnumbered.

Right. Obviously he can't follow directions, as in ASL only. If he were more concerned with learning that which he does not know and less concerned with ridiculing members here, we would all be much better off.

Well said, Botts.

Right. Obviously he can't follow directions, as in ASL only. If he were more concerned with learning that which he does not know and less concerned with ridiculing members here, we would all be much better off.

I know well he mistake I notice it OMG :shock:

I figure out strong deaf cultures advise to challenge I best consider figure out think so advise attention,

he confused!

Agreed. I have seen much improvement in his English syntax. And because he is working so hard to learn, I always phrase my responses to him in English. It isn't that I don't respect his native language; it is that he has requested help from us all with his English.

I believe it! you are sound exactly on my personal match!,

cultures languages is very syntax on fluent on ASL

I do best keep going my mind challenge!

There is no apparent suggestion in comment #1 that this thread is in ASL syntax only? Assumption: native language-whatever- is the FIRST LANGUAGE TAUGHT to babies.

I believe it! you are sound exactly on my personal match!,

cultures languages is very syntax on fluent on ASL

I do best keep going my mind challenge!

Yes, just keep challanging your mind. It takes a brave person to try hard to learn as you are doing.

There is no apparent suggestion in comment #1 that this thread is in ASL syntax only? Assumption: native language-whatever- is the FIRST LANGUAGE TAUGHT to babies.

You posted in English syntax in a thread started by Linux Gold entitled "ASL only." Stop pretending to be so clueless.

Back