Culture language native

hee hee oh yes. I think I am in limbo atm, being a late late deaf adult, English was my 1st language. I now have limited knowlege of ASL but love it and love the exposure to all languages in the world.
Which one is grammatical correct .. hmmm? Kinda like what I grew up with of who has the accent... LOL

Most hearing people don't understand that ASL has a completely different syntax than English. They think ASL is the same as English, only signed.

I completely agree with you. I am "hearing", and learnt ASL in the '80 for my job:special teacher...What you said is so true. The syntax of the two languages are completely different.
Sincerly,
David

Is it a "surprise" that other members here don't "appear" to use ASL syntax when commenting? To be more specific comments "appear" to be in English usage:wave:.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
It all depends on what kind of education the individual had, and what the home environment was like, as well as learning disabilities, language history, and preferred mode of learning.

Everyone is an individual, and everyone is unique. Some, like you, are more unique than others.

Can you imagine a deaf child raised in a deaf family, where there are no services in the schools for deaf children? It might be a challenge to your imagination to think of a person different from yourself.

My query was to "other forum members who know/use ASL?BSL et al" using sign language syntax vs English sentence construction-when commenting?I understand there is apparently a different sentence sequence when signed.

Reality: no posting of my here is reposted in Vampire Freaks.Com-why would I do such an action? No I haven't checked out V F if there are any Deaf/deaf SkinHeads OR Deaf/deaf Goths among the almost 2 million members.

Last edited:
"other cult members" ?? This isn't your vampirefreaks.com cult site.

My query was to "other cult members who know/use ASL?BSL et al" using sign language syntax vs English sentence construction-when commenting?
I understand is "entirely different based on sign usage rules"-correct?

Friendly reminder, Cult is a form of religous while Deaf culture is not a religious for the group.

just making sure you know whats the difference between your forum and this alldeaf forum. :aw:

Wirelessly posted

On the ASL only thread you drphil wrote only in English - so what is with the fingerpointing? Since a good majority of the members on this forum know and use sign language you therefore are a little outnumbered.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

On the ASL only thread you drphil wrote only in English - so what is with the fingerpointing? Since a good majority of the members on this forum know and would use sign language

I only know Auslan and not very well but I am not confident enough to post in the ASL forum, I feel it would be wrong to just have a go without learning enough first. Just posting anyway would be at best rude. My $0.02

Wirelessly posted

SimonJ said:
Wirelessly posted

On the ASL only thread you drphil wrote only in English - so what is with the fingerpointing? Since a good majority of the members on this forum know and would use sign language

I only know Auslan and not very well but I am not confident enough to post in the ASL forum, I feel it would be wrong to just have a go without learning enough first. Just posting anyway would be at best rude. My $0.02

I know mostly Auslan myself being a fellow Aussie, I am still learning but can understand and hold a conversation. I know a little ASL and continuing to learn more. From what I have found is that syntax is similiar? Participating in the ASL thread, it has helped me a lot with both ASL and Auslan. I am glad smithtr is teaching Sign language on this forum.

Perhaps you could give a written example of Auslan. I would really like that.:)

Wirelessly posted

I know mostly Auslan myself being a fellow Aussie, I am still learning but can understand and hold a conversation. I know a little ASL and continuing to learn more. From what I have found is that syntax is similiar? Participating in the ASL thread, it has helped me a lot with both ASL and Auslan. I am glad smithtr is teaching Sign language on this forum.

I do read the ASL thread and of course Travis is a godsend! The thing I have noticed is Auslan uses the shortest route to the end of a sentence. ;-)

In English you say "Have a good day" whereas in Auslan it is just "Have Good Day" it is the English connection words like "the" and "a" that are dropped. Other syntax I am picking up but so far I can converse with other deaf people as long as they sign more slowly. I love watching conversations but still feel uneasy "eavesdropping"! :)

Last edited:
My query was to "other cult members who know/use ASL?BSL et al" using sign language syntax vs English sentence construction-when commenting?
I understand is "entirely different based on sign usage rules"-correct?

Deaf Cultist, me! Must printed shirt design! :evil:

Grammar is my main issue. I'm actually reading about ASL grammar and trying to get a better grasp of it. I think once I'm able to read it, I'd be able to sign better.

Wirelessly posted

SimonJ said:
Wirelessly posted

I do read the ASL thread and of course Travis is a godsend! The thing I have noticed is Auslan uses the shortest route to the end of a sentence. ;-)

In English you say "Have a good day" whereas in Auslan it is just "Have Good Day" it is the English connection words like "the" and "a" that are dropped. Other syntax I am picking up but so far I can converse with other deaf people as long as they sign more slowly. I love watching conversations but still feel uneasy "eavesdropping"! :)

Thanks for your input SimonJ, much appreciated mate :D

Sometimes I wish there was a book with short stories in it all done in ASL grammar.

I know many people reason otherwise on proper English & also pretty tough! I think figure out best effort tell company hosting! I try best do adjust to lots of pretty sound!

Peace Bottesini:I altered the word to "forum" members from "cult".

I guess I must be "misreading" as the bulk of comments in this thread "appear to be in English construction".

I have never taken ASL "syntax construction" when I took Intro ASL.

I don't have a problem understanding your posts -- I do find myself thinking in ASL when I read them.

hard not.

Back