Cued speech?

Steel X

Reaction score
How many of you are familiar with Cued Speech?

It appears that most deaf people have never heard of it so...lol it appears to be rare but it is actually very popular in Europe.

I was raised with Cued speech since I was a boy only because my mom wanted to find a method that helps me speak and read lips and such.

So to my view...Sign language is great for communication while I find cued speech to be great for education activities.

For more information on Cued Speech click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cued_speech

I used to know cued speech but I've forgotten it as I have not used it since 4th grade.

I never heard of it until I came here. I think it hadn't even been invented when I was a kid. :lol:

How many of you are familiar with Cued Speech?

It appears that most deaf people have never heard of it so...lol it appears to be rare but it is actually very popular in Europe.

I was raised with Cued speech since I was a boy only because my mom wanted to find a method that helps me speak and read lips and such.

So to my view...Sign language is great for communication while I find cued speech to be great for education activities.

For more information on Cued Speech click here:

Cued speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an educator, I would agree with you. CS can be a useful tool in education. As a communication method, it failed.

As an educator, I would agree with you. CS can be a useful tool in education. As a communication method, it failed.

True...it wasn't completely successful thou both sign language and cued speech has its own pros and cons so lol I guess in the long run, it seems that sign language is still pretty much well known since it has been around for hundreds of years than cued speech, which first existed in the 1960s...only about 3 decades before I was born.

True...it wasn't completely successful thou both sign language and cued speech has its own pros and cons so lol I guess in the long run, it seems that sign language is still pretty much well known since it has been around for hundreds of years than cued speech, which first existed in the 1960s...only about 3 decades before I was born.

Cued Speech was popular in the sixties compared to today. Now, it's use is mostly limted to AG Bell oral schools for hearing impaired students who fail lipreading and AVT and denied access to ASL in the classroom.

Those who have tried cued speech for it's pros and sign language for it's pros, mostly have ditched cued speech, as it gets redudant in one two three. The few one that still want to use such a system in a bilingual setting, for special needs or other reasons, use visual phonics.

The problem is that once sellers of the NCSA cued speech courses and systems, admits cued speech is limited to be a teaching tool, and not very good for communication, NCSA will loose many of it's users and customers. They have to claim cued speech, a reproduction of english in a visual code system, is equal to a language on it's own, like sign language, to defend their existence. How they do this, is to tell parents to not use ASL. Fortunately, not enough people are stupid enough to belive this claim.

Hope this help you understand why sign language is so much more known while cued speech not is. I suggest you to have a look at Visual Phonics, a special needs education tool if you want the latest tools in modern pedagogy.

I live in europe by the way, and it's gone most places. Mostly grown ups who use it from the 60's and 70's oral education era and some few places in UK and france.

Cued Speech was the first I've had when I was younger. And you're right SteelX, Cued Speech had helped so much with my speech and lip-reading skills. :P

I have no personal experience of cued speech. I was raised with a purely oral background. While BSL would have been great, any sort of tactile/visual mode of communication is better then nothing. I mean even writing on blackboard was of help, because when teacher just spoke like they did at the second high school I went to my grades really suffered for it.

However, I think it does seem useful to have AS WELL AS sign language. NOT instead of sign language.

I am reading upon cued speech for an exam. I noticed it consists of eight handshapes for constants and four positions near the face showing the vowels. This thread will help me understand it better :)

I work in a Deaf school in the UK. We teach in BSL, but we now also use Cued Speech with the younger students (and some of the older ones) to help their literacy development and speech therapy. The aim is to become a bilingual school in the future, with BSL and English through Cued Speech. I've been very impressed with what I've seen - the kids love it, and it's really helping their English skills (written and spoken). I've met children from cueing families who are doing incredibly well, and I also know children who have grown up with CS only, and then do a split placement at a Deaf school when they're about 11 or 12 so they can also develop their signing skills.

I have to say, I'm a fan. It's a shame so many people seem to think that choosing to cue has to be an exclusive route - it works really well in a bilingual model. After all, our kids need to have good English skills, even though their first language is and always will be BSL.

Did you know that in Australia we used to cued speech?

Cued speech was the first I have had since I was a 9 yo girl when I was at the boarding school for the deaf girls in Waratah NSW.

When the school closed, I went to the hearing schools and I have forgotten about cued speech. Little I can remember how to use cued speech, hey. :aw:

However, I think it does seem useful to have AS WELL AS sign language. NOT instead of sign language.
Exactly! It's a part of the full toolbox approach. It's basicly Visual Hooked on Phonics.

Back