Csun Interpreters Win Pay Raise, Lose Benefits

Do you feel interpreters are being paid the right amount for their service?

• Interpreters are taking advantage of VRS -- the community will suffer!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Interpreters are finally getting paid what they're really worth!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I don't care -- just give me my interpreter and VRS!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an interpreter -- SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dennis S.

Reaction score
December 7th issue of Deaf Weekly: http://www.deafweekly.com/

Read the article. I'm quoting certain sections of it below:

CSUN INTERPRETERS WIN PAY RAISE, LOSE BENEFITS

Interpreters at the California State University, Northridge won a 29-percent salary increase this semester but had to give up some benefits, mostly vacation and sick time, to do it.

“We’re more competitive now,” Gary Sanderson, interim director of CSUN’s National Center on Deafness, told the Daily Sundial. NCOD had to boost its pay in order to compete with Video Relay Service providers, which tend to offer a higher salary.

Sanderson said the 84 hourly interpreters at NCOD, will earn from $18.25 to more than $56 an hour under the salary increase.

Question for ya'll: CSUN is a public university, with the interpreters being considered employees of the State of California. That means that the state sets their pay rate. They were being paid around $18/ hr, in the Los Angeles area, which is one of the highest cost-of-living places in the U.S.

VRS interpreters are being paid the highest that interpreters have ever been paid in history. $50 an hour is not a uncommon salary, plus benefits.

Are interpreters being overpaid in VRS? Or are interpreters finally getting paid what they're really worth?

Back