Crystal Light - Harmful?

Like I may have said before, I'm not sure, MIL totally lives for the Crystal Light iced tea. I think it's disgusting. Hubby has finally stopped drinking it, but hates the tap water here and I refuse to buy bottled water.

We had a neighbor (80's) who was drinking all kinds of Crystal Light drinks for the last 5 years and that's all she drank. Never anything else. Well, she had a massive heart attack this past week and just barely survived. Seems all the "crap" in the drink was slowly eating away at something. MIL has decided that maybe she might have to change to something else or have more water and soda.

For the hell of it, looked up ingredients of Crystal Light:

What Are The Ingredients Of Crystal Light? | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Artificial Sugars

Some flavors of Crystal Light contain aspartame, one of the most dangerous artificial sweeteners. Side effects of aspartame include headaches, anxiety, abdominal pain, nausea, heart palpitations and irritable bowel syndrome. Acesulfame potassium is another artificial sweetener used in some Crystal Light varieties. This sweetener contains methylene chloride, which is a known carcinogen. Therefore, long-term use of this carcinogen may cause cancer. Other side effects include nausea, headaches and impaired liver.

Phenylalanine

Phenylalanine is an amino acid found in many foods that contain protein such as meat, chicken, pork, fish and eggs. It is needed by the body to produce essential brain chemicals, such as L-dopa, epinephrine and norepinephrine. However, the body does not produce it. Although aspartame is high in phenylalanine, phenylalanine is listed in addition to aspartame on Crystal Light's labels. Phenylalanine interacts with medications, such as anti-psychotic drugs. It is toxic in high doses and can cause nerve damage. Pregnant women and women who are breastfeeding should not take phenylalanine.

Artificial Colors

The most commonly used artificial color, red 40, is an ingredient in some Crystal Light flavors, such as Pink Lemonade. The artificial color, blue 1, is found in Raspberry Ice among other flavors. Crystal Light's Peach Iced Tea is one of several flavors that contain yellow 5, the second most commonly used artificial color. All these artificial colors can cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Hyperactivity in children is also a potential side effect of these common ingredients.

Somebody's breathing new life into this thread. It has been years since I drank Crystal Light. Since then, I haven't experienced anything like it again. Thank God though. It was definitely something in that drink.

What Are The Ingredients Of Crystal Light? | LIVESTRONG.COM

"Artificial Sugars

Some flavors of Crystal Light contain aspartame, one of the most dangerous artificial sweeteners. Side effects of aspartame include headaches, anxiety, abdominal pain, nausea, heart palpitations and irritable bowel syndrome. Acesulfame potassium is another artificial sweetener used in some Crystal Light varieties. This sweetener contains methylene chloride, which is a known carcinogen. Therefore, long-term use of this carcinogen may cause cancer. Other side effects include nausea, headaches and impaired liver.

Phenylalanine

Phenylalanine is an amino acid found in many foods that contain protein such as meat, chicken, pork, fish and eggs. It is needed by the body to produce essential brain chemicals, such as L-dopa, epinephrine and norepinephrine. However, the body does not produce it. Although aspartame is high in phenylalanine, phenylalanine is listed in addition to aspartame on Crystal Light's labels. Phenylalanine interacts with medications, such as anti-psychotic drugs. It is toxic in high doses and can cause nerve damage. Pregnant women and women who are breastfeeding should not take phenylalanine.

Artificial Colors

The most commonly used artificial color, red 40, is an ingredient in some Crystal Light flavors, such as Pink Lemonade. The artificial color, blue 1, is found in Raspberry Ice among other flavors. Crystal Light's Peach Iced Tea is one of several flavors that contain yellow 5, the second most commonly used artificial color. All these artificial colors can cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Hyperactivity in children is also a potential side effect of these common ingredients.

I get horrible headaches from eating artificial sweeter and color. I can't eat the fake seafood salad , I when to a restaurant and asked for a crab meat sandwich and got fake seafood salad and I was so sick after eating it! I know crystal light is all artificial so of course it going to be bad to drink. I never drank crystal light or ate cool whip or pringle chips they're artificial man made food. GROSS!

yeah, the link I posted earlier has too, the ingredients included and explained :)

If you looked it up, it has a detailed list where you can click on every single one and read what they are, under
Ingredients List - Crystal Light Drink Mix

Fuzzy

You mean, he get migraines from food colorings?
that sucks, eh..

hey Shel - have you seen your brother starring in The Prince of Persia :giggle:

prince-of-persia-sand-der-zeit-7.jpg

Fuzzy

LOL

Unfortunately, my brother looks like a terrorist right now. His hair is not long and curly but he has a weird looking beard. Hahahaha!

Unfortunately, my brother looks like a terrorist right now.

lol
I am sure he looks handsome anyway - once good looking, always good looking!

Fuzzy

Back