Crikey. Crocadile Hunter, Steve Irwin, Dead.

The stinger is a razor-sharp, barbed or serrated cartilaginous spine which grows from the ray's whip-like tail (like a fingernail). So it was hit thru Steve Irwin's left side but more likely thru his heart. I believe it was an ancident.

Found on website .. it says Fatal ray stings, such as that which killed Australian environmentalist Steve Irwin(although he was not killed by the sting itself but from a puncture to the heart in turn causing cardiac arrest), are rare but can occur if stings are improperly treated, sever major arteries, or are in the pelvic region or chest.[1]

I did not know rays would sting through chest. So he was stabbed like a sword and it wasnt the sting that did it. I will miss steve irwin. rest in peace.

Australians in mourn

At the point of sting ray's tail is a razor sharp, and it could be dangerous to swim with them (not always), and the tail stabbed into Steve's heart like scorpion's tail whip.:whip:

There are full of tv news on and on about Steve Irwin, one of our best Australian icon. :sadwave:

Last year my family went to fishing, and my husband caught one, and it took him 20 minutes to pull out and surprised to find a HUGE sting ray, he decided to cut the fishing rod string,and let him lose free with a hook holding him back into the ocean, rather than pull him inside the boat because we are aware of its tail.

I would like to visit Steve Irwin's Zoo soon or later.

RIP Steve - He was taken so young at 44.

At the point of sting ray's tail is a razor sharp, and it could be dangerous to swim with them (not always), and the tail stabbed into Steve's heart like scorpion's tail whip.:whip:

There are full of tv news on and on about Steve Irwin, one of our best Australian icon. :sadwave:

Last year my family went to fishing, and my husband caught one, and it took him 20 minutes to pull out and surprised to find a HUGE sting ray, he decided to cut the fishing rod string,and let him lose free with a hook holding him back into the ocean, rather than pull him inside the boat because we are aware of its tail.

I would like to visit Steve Irwin's Zoo soon or later.

RIP Steve - He was taken so young at 44.
Yes I agree... but most stories says he was not stinged.. but punctured.. so my assumption is that he may have swum too close and maybe the Stingray stopped swimming and he got too close too late to avoid.. just my assumption. since some articles said "left side chest" close to heart" it sound like it might be trying to move right away but too late.

time will tell when they release video of the accident in the water if both was in the frame while filming... So it is not Stingray's fault.

I have seen some video of swimmer swimming close to Stingray (probably not Stingray but a Devil Ray hmm? ) but side by side than behind. I rather not jump to conclusion till the final details come out later on after autopsy and review of film.

So...

RIP Steve Irwin.

R.I.P. Steve Irwin | The Register

Crocodile Hunter dies in freak stingray incident
by Chris Williams

Register readers and hacks were this morning digesting the tragic news of the death of colourful Aussie wildlife presenter Steve Irwin following a stingray attack.

Vulture Central's favourite daredevil reptile-botherer and conservationist was filming a documentary off the Queensland coast.

Authorities said he received a barb to the chest at about 11 am local time on Batt Reef, off Port Douglas. Crew called for treatment from an air ambulance, but Irwin was already dead aboard research vessel Croc One when it arrived.

Irwin's producer John Stainton said: "He came over the top of the stingray and the barb went up into his chest and put a hole in his heart."

Attending physician Dr Ed Loughlin confirmed nothing could be done to save Irwin. He said: "It became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries. He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest. He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."

Fellow documentary maker Ben Cropp said he had spoken to Irwin's cameraman. He told news.com.au: "In this case he [Irwin] was swimming alongside a bull ray, a big black ray and the cameraman would have been in front, filming him. Steve got probably maybe a bit too close to the ray, and with the cameraman in front, the ray must have felt sort of cornered. It baulked but didn't spook and go racing away, which would have been fine.

"It went into a defensive mode, stopped, turned around and lashed out with its tail which has a considerable spike on it. Unfortunately, Steve was directly in its path and he took a fatal wound."

There are more than 400 species of stingray. Their barbs can be over a foot long and carry a paralysing toxin. Despite this, deaths are very rare, as most are sustained to the legs or feet when stingrays are trodden on in the shallows.

Tributes to Irwin and his work have been quick to come. PM John Howard said: "I am quite shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death. He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

"I really do feel Australia has lost a wonderful and colourful son," he added.

Stainton said he had always feared their 20 year relationship would end in tragedy. He said: "Nothing would ever scare Steve or would worry him. He didn't have a fear of death at all."

Irwin leaves a wife and two children. ®
We like to believe he just died of heart attack after punctured by stingray whilst being filmed, as we knows he loved to be closed to wild animals.

I was told two different stories by radio and TV, that his 8 years old daughter witness her father's death, others saying his wife and kids was in Tasmania an small island off Australia for a holiday - which one is true?????
I like to believe that Steve Irwin's family was in Queensland at that time because yesterday Sunday September the 3rd was Australian Father's Day.

He's a real daredevil. Sometimes I wonder when something like this will happen. He's an icon that represents the daring face of Australia. His last brush with death was getting bit 8 times by snakes.

Richard

What a SHOCKING news!!! :(

R.I.P Steve Erwin!!!!!

PSST I've pet sting rays at the aquariam in Long Beach but swim with it? I don't think so!!! I am now chicken ass after what happen to Steve Erwin!!!

I was shocked to hear about his death on Today Show a few mins ago. They said Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous bard on their tails. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said His friend and colleague John Stainton said, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

His family is in my prayer.

RIP Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin killed in freak accident
Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin is dead after being attacked by a stingray during the filming of a new TV series.

The 44-year-old's chest is believed to have been pierced by the stingray barb.

He was filming an underwater documentary about 32 nautical miles off Port Douglas when the accident occurred.

According to a Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman, a Cairns ambulance chopper made an emergency flight to an island in the area at midday today.

An intensive care doctor and a paramedic attempted to revive the popular crocodile wrangler without success.

He was pronounced dead on the island, and his body is now being flown to Cairns.
Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He's also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Steve Irwin killed in freak accident

I heard about it this morning!

I used to watch his show a couple of years ago when I still had cable tv.

wow.. hes very bravery with those wild animals, and alots kids enjoy his show, poor the family! Sorry to see him go! RIP!

I just read this a min or so ago, and to say I'm shocked is an understatement.

:jaw:

RIP

His trademark jump on the crocs dont work with stingrays.

Richard

I have already said my piece in another thread http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/33176-rip-steve-irwin.html

I have swam with stingrays several times in the Stingray City in Grand Cayman but those kind of rays are the friendly ones.

It is so hard to believe that Steve Irwin is gone. I have always said he was crazy but very brave to work along with wild animals. He has taught us all a lot about behavior of some animals.

oops me spell his surname wrong should be Irwin not Urwin,, me still in shock to hear.. .. My thoughts still goes for his family sorry for me say again ...

:cry:

i LOVE Steve Irwin. TJ love him too. We were Steve's fans. we both watch his shows on animal planet whenever he come on as he is interesting pereson with love for animals. we both are animal lovers. TJ is sad to hear he died.. :( He died doing what he loved best is being with animals.. Thats comfortable to know. :(

Steve, you will be greatly missed. It won't be the same without you on Animal Planet.. Rest In Peace...

Back