Covering of hearing aids with your hair

With a HA in your top pocket you would encounter some of the problems of body worn aids, such as rustling of shirt material etc., which some of us experienced in the days when body worn aids were the norm. You would also, if you had both aids on one ear experience only hearing sound from one side, as both microphones would be on that side, this was the case when people were only issued with one aid, as when I was a child. You'd need really small HAs to manage this anyway, mine wouldn't fit! Don't you think it would look a bit strange too.

What is the problem with having your BTE hearing aids where they are supposed to be?

What it looks like is irrelevant as I'd be inside my house and already wearing my PJs and slippers. Where the sound comes from is totally irrelevant for me, I cannot place sound in my environment anyway and it's 50 times worse with a BTE hearing aid. I'm only listening to the TV anyway, so what's behind me doesn't bother me. I can't see that having sound come from behind your ear is any more natural than it coming from your chest, quite honestly. Unless the mic is inside my ear then I can never find the stupid thing when I am trying to hold something up to it, it's easier to hold stuff up to my FM transmitter.

What's wrong with them behind the ear? Well, in the only scenario I was talking about you cannot lie down because the hearing aid smashes into the side of your head, and you also cannot relax in case you squash it and break stuff.

RoseRodent said:
But when I am relaxing on the sofa I'd just love to be able to put my head down on a cushion without crushing a HA into my skullbones.

The point is to wear them normally all day and then swap for a long receiver to lie down, same as the people with CIs were talking about that they can use a long coil to hang around the house and put the processor wherever. I guess size and weight is very much proportional to how strong your ears are. Mine are not very good because they are made of defective collagen anyway, so a hearing aid will easily go through the top of my ear. I've had more than one hearing aid removed at the doctor's surgery because it's become embedded in my ear and infected.

I guess size and weight is very much proportional to how strong your ears are. Mine are not very good because they are made of defective collagen anyway, so a hearing aid will easily go through the top of my ear. I've had more than one hearing aid removed at the doctor's surgery because it's become embedded in my ear and infected.

If this is the case then surely wearing two HAs over one ear, as you previously suggested, would be rather stupid!

Back