Court Orders 'Ex-Gay' Mom Not To Preach Homophobia To Daughter

Lasza

Premium Lurker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Court Orders 'Ex-Gay' Mom Not To Preach Homophobia To Daughter

(Denver, Colorado) A Denver woman is battling with her former partner over the religious education of their daughter. The eight year old was adopted by Cheryl Clark as an infant. Her then partner, Elsey McLeod, was given joint parenting rights.

When Clark, a Denver doctor, converted to Christianity she declared herself to be straight and ended the relationship with McLeod.

In April she was awarded sole custody of the child with her ex-partner being granted visitation rights. But Denver District Judge John Coughlin in awarding custody ordered Clark to prevent the child from receiving any "homophobic" religious teachings.

Coughlin's provision said Clark is to "make sure that there is nothing in the religious upbringing or teaching that the minor child is exposed to that can be considered homophobic."

Clark this week launched an appeal of the provision, with the help of Liberty Counsel. The Christian conservative law firm based in Orlando, Fla is involved in a number of anti-gay lawsuits around the country.

Clark and her lawyers maintain the order is a violation of her religious freedom guarantees under the Constitution.

"We believe it sets a dangerous trend to undermine the rights of parents and religious freedom," said Matthew Staver, president of Liberty Counsel.

In court papers Staver claims that McLeod never should have been granted partial custody or visitation rights.

The Colorado Court of Appeals is expected to hear oral arguments in early 2004.

Here is the link.

geez... clark had her daughter first and under her own name.. mcleon have no rights..

(Fly Free typing here)

i happened to see this thread when MizzDeaf was surfing and im appalled by this -- i agree with u Deafscuba that McLeod had NO rights as Clark had already adopted the child PRIOR to having McLeod into their lives before their break up and Clark's declaration of her being straight -- ill come back here under my own SN but i just HAD to make a post here under MizzDeaf's handle

(MizzDeaf typing now)

Yes, Clark has right take her child, not her ex partner, mcleod.

I think it would be confusing to the child - it says adopted as an infant, and McLeod given equal parenting rights...and that kid is now 8 years old. Sure sucks, tho...the kid grew up knowing two mothers, now what does the kid do now????

Tsk!~

this is why the nation doesn't understand WE do have the right to raise our kids BUT if the mother being born from the womb ends the relationship then the mother has the right to have that child in her home and not the partner's right as far as im concerned THIS is SO screwed thier screwing with the nation's constiution AND thier also screwing with the relationship of the child and now this child IS SO traumatized as far as im concern none of this should ever happened! AS far as the regious scantion goes U CAN't TELL a PARTNER OR MOTHER what to do in the terms of raising thier child SHE HAS BEEN EXPOSED PERIOD regardless!

Back