Council considers ban on backing into driveways

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Proposal is effort to cut down on blight of abandoned cars, councilman says

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
Soon you might be breaking the law if you back your car into your own driveway.

As part of the effort to get rid of abandoned cars contributing to blight, some City Council members are looking at how license plates are displayed while vehicles are parked in front of homes.

A proposal being considered says that if inspectors can’t see a vehicle's tag from the road, the owner could be cited. That means vehicles wouldn't be allowed to be covered up in a driveway, either.

“I think it’s ridiculous,” said homeowner Dave Bryant, who said he always backs into his driveway. “The main reason I do it is people parallel park on the side of the street, so if you are backing out, you can’t see traffic coming.”

DOCUMENT: City Council's back-up ban proposal

But City Council members said if code inspectors can’t easily see a tag, they can't tell if a vehicle is properly registered, because they are not allowed to walk onto private property.

That's why the council is considering a law that would make backing into a driveway to park illegal. Homeowners who don't comply could be fined $50.

Councilman Warren Jones said he introduced the bill because there is a huge problem with abandoned cars in Jacksonville.

“We have been trying to find a way to address this problem because it’s a blight on the community and it's driving down property values and it's very unsightly,” Jones said. “But our hands are tied as enforcement goes because we cannot enforce it unless we can see the tag.”

Cars with covers are also a problem and owners will be cited for those if tags cannot be seen. The covers have to be clean, and the tag has to be visible from the street, according to the proposal.

Jones said if drivers need to back in, they'll have to write the vehicle's tag number out and display it where it can be seen from the right of way.

Kristyn Irwin said she backs her car in the drive for safety reasons. She said she once hit a parked car when she was backing out onto the street.

“I can see where it could make it easier to find something if you needed to locate a vehicle for whatever reason, but I really like being able to park like that and not having to worry about backing into someone on the street,” Irwin said.

Jones said the law was also introduced because a former code officer was telling people they could avoid a ticket by hiding the tag.

“She was telling folks, 'Just back it in. I can’t see you, I can’t cite you,' and that word is spreading,” Jones said.

The proposal has passed two committees, but some council members still have questions. The law will be discussed in the blight committee more later this summer.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/council-considers-ban-on-backing-into-driveways/33754740

Goodness...is there anything not up for being banned? What is next banning how one wipes their bum?

good grief... the better way would be to have folks call in expired tags or something. I think that's how one of my friends got nailed in Utah. She had her truck backed up to the wall so you couldn't see the plate. Still got fined because somebody called it in I think.

Interestingly the last time I lived here, my car sat in the driveway nose in (you could see the tag from the street) with an expired out of state plate... never once got dinged for it. Sat there for over 3 years. Arizona was stricter though with the "residency" thing.

It's Nuts!....They're gonna be checking everyone's garages next....And I do remember one of my sons having an expired tag...and couldn't get a new one for a week or so...I told him just to park the car in backwards...just a temporary thing....
I can see a piece of junk parked on the side of the road with an expired tag...just haul it off....but parked in your driveway?...No sireee!...

Freedom being chipped away quicker and quicker as time goes by.......

Get the state to go to issuing two plates. One for the front and one for the back. That is what Illinois has had all along. Although, the renewal stickers do just go on the back plate. If it is that big a problem, how much would issuing a second sticker raise costs?

Get the state to go to issuing two plates. One for the front and one for the back. That is what Illinois has had all along. Although, the renewal stickers do just go on the back plate. If it is that big a problem, how much would issuing a second sticker raise costs?
A lot.

I think that's why so many states dropped the front plate-- too expensive (instead we see it in the property and registration taxes :P).

A lot.

I think that's why so many states dropped the front plate-- too expensive (instead we see it in the property and registration taxes :P).

I wasn't really clear enough. I was thinking of the states that already have two plates. So, how much is it to add a second sticker resulting in one on the front and one on to back.

Some people back into their driveway so they can get out of their driveway safer. The driveway could be right off a busy road and not wide enough to turn around in. People do that in my city , back in b/c it's safer than tying to back out into traffic with people refusing to slow down or stop for them.

I wasn't really clear enough. I was thinking of the states that already have two plates. So, how much is it to add a second sticker resulting in one on the front and one on to back.
Ahh gotcha.

Suspect they'd still refuse to citing budget reasons. People will probably get confused too...heh.

I don't back into my driveway not because I don't know how but more because I can't- I don't have the skill for it or like it lol. My father backs two of their cars in-- he's great at it. My mom doesn't like backing in either. In fact when I go park in a parking lot and if I can I look for a spot where I can just turn into one spot then just cross over to the next spot and be "nose out"... hell of a lot easier than attempting to back into a small space.

Some people back into their driveway so they can get out of their driveway safer. The driveway could be right off a busy road and not wide enough to turn around in. People do that in my city , back in b/c it's safer than tying to back out into traffic with people refusing to slow down or stop for them.

In addition to the back in advantage that whatdidyousay! mentioned in the quote above in the winter when streets are not in good condition it has the advantage of being able to keep going rather than having to stop to change direction.

Then there is the advantage that the hood is easier to get to in the case of mechanical trouble and needing things like a jump start.

I back into my carport when we're expecting snow or ice so that I can drive straight out because I can see traffic better that way and not have to worry about stopping and then having trouble going again.

Well. we have no snow or ice in my City...so feel mainly the reason people back in their driveways...just makes it easier to get out in the early AM while going to work...or living on a heavily trafficked street...True that some people do it to hide their expired tag...but don't feel it's enough to warrant a fine for backing into your own driveway!

It's a loony law....and don't feel people are gonna follow it.

Back