Votes: 86 80.4%
  • No.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I only speak.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I only lipread.

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
I don't speak except for saying fuck you. I don't lipread very much, but I can sometimes when I am aware of the context like when cooks in my high school kitchen ask me which food I wanted.
I started with ESL, but learned ASL signs.

RedFox

I speak and read lips in Spanish and English :D. I got a CI 3 years ago. It improved my lip reading skills and speech in English cuz Spanish was fine, but I did learn a thing or two that I never heard with hearing aids about Spanish pronounciation :ugh:. I always wonder why my mother never bothered to correct me! Even though, I never told her of what I discovered :laugh2:. I love to hear really, but yeah, I can't sleep with the CI on, so it's peaceful without it :bump:.

It just seems to me to be the natural order of things that when the CI gives you enhanced comprehension of spoken language and other sounds that your lip-reading skills would diminish somewhat but what do I know? :dunno:

HelloKittyGal said:
I speak and read lips in Spanish and English :D. I got a CI 3 years ago. It improved my lip reading skills and speech in English cuz Spanish was fine, but I did learn a thing or two that I never heard with hearing aids about Spanish pronounciation :ugh:. I always wonder why my mother never bothered to correct me! Even though, I never told her of what I discovered :laugh2:. I love to hear really, but yeah, I can't sleep with the CI on, so it's peaceful without it :bump:.

What's CI?? :dunno:

I grew up speaking and lip reading, same with sign language. I do still have some diffculty pronouncing some words. I'm learning to read/write in spanish (mi espanol es no muy bueno)... I'd love to learn spanish sign language, and able to speak spanish & read lips in spanish... It'd probably take forever for me to be able to do that really well (read lips & speak in spanish)

CI= cochlear implant for short. :)

I never learned Spanish sign language. I never did. Then, I came to the United States and learned it in English from interpreters in 7th grade through oral of course, or I wouldn't make out what sign language meant. :dizzy:

Well, you could a bit right Tousi. I perform the best with CI along with lipreading. Without CI, I am lost most of the time unless you do have a good mouth movement. It was the same with hearing aids, I used to perform best with HA and lipreading, I remember that very clearly. Unless again, if you had good mouth movement. :D

I do feel that my lipreading improved a lot because at one time with HA, I asked myself why I didn't lipread as good sometimes, and I thought that having an interpreter with sign language diminished my skills because when the terp used only oral, I would get little. I did ask for an oral intepreter at first, but they sent me a very unskilled oral interpreter who was used to sign language, so when she used oral alone I couldn't get most of what she said because she sped her mouth movements, so I let her use sign language from then on, so I didn't care anymore because I knew she would always mention how uncomfortable she was being an oral interpreter when she had absolutely no experience :roll: , but I always paid attention to the mouth because that was my main thing that kept me understanding, but if sign langauge was right or wrong, it didn't matter because the mouth was my life saver. :)

Yes, its both with speaking and lipreading. The communication is very important with the hearing friends, family, and other guys. However, I can't hear on the phone and can't talk too.

Christy

Hey.... If it was not for my Mainstream that I use to go. I would never learn how to readlip. I am frenquently lip reader and uses my speech too. Myself, I have cochlear implant and It is what has helped me to read lip better and speak better.

I can speak and lipread. I can't sign, but I wish i could. I could hear well enough when I was younger and I was able to talk on the phone until about the age of 20. My hearing disappeared over the years and I have none left now.

dawn said:
I can speak and lipread. I can't sign, but I wish i could. I could hear well enough when I was younger and I was able to talk on the phone until about the age of 20. My hearing disappeared over the years and I have none left now.
Me too..and i didnt learn sign language until i was in my late teens/20's when i realize that my hearing loss is getting worse and then i lost all my hearing in my right ear so i learned sign language just in case i go completely deaf and also i had some deaf friends who cannot speak or lipread at all. My husband is hearing but lost a little hearing in left ear so he learned sign language from me. You might check with your area and see if they teach sign language so you can learn too if you want to, ok? Oh by the way, i still have some hearing in my left ear so far so good and wear hearing aid in that ear too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I can speak and lipread. I don't lipread as much anymore because it's kind of strange to me now.

Yes but background noise is very disrupting for me and I need people to look at me when they talk to me. Too often people move their heads around and get mad at me and they claim they were looking at me the whole time which is bullshit.

i can lipreading pretty good but for me speaking naw naw i don't speak... but strange thing if im very angry i can speak as well that's what people has telling me so i dont know if that really come true so..

I can't lipread either

Lipreading is hard for alot of people.
Some deaf can dot that, but it takes alot of practice.
I can't read lips but I do use sign langauge.

Margie said:
Lipreading is hard for alot of people.
Some deaf can dot that, but it takes alot of practice.
I can't read lips but I do use sign langauge.

Ahhhhh I think you are the TERP ?? now, you say not read lips and use the sign language. What a crazy quote I ever heard!

I CAN read lips and can the sign language. :ugh:

:werd: Mizz Deaf I KNEW she was a fraud to begin with, if you can not read lips and can not be effictive as an interpeter that also has to rely on the expressions and the lip reading then your better off not being an interpeter, i can lip read and communicate by speaking, lip reading and signing weather its a tactile signing, a Deaf braille Signing, or Sim Com signing or delay Signing, you still have to rely on effiecency of lipreading to ensure the proper sign is being used and on the bat so to speak, im sorry to say but margie is indeed a fraud!

MizzDeaf said:
Ahhhhh I think you are the TERP ?? now, you say not read lips and use the sign language. What a crazy quote I ever heard!

I CAN read lips and can the sign language. :ugh:

:rofl: u got a point there MizzDeaf gurl! :thumb:

speak or lipread

I can speak and lipread my mother tounge i.e Hindi but learning english very fast. Feeling touble in speaking english.My father is helping in writing and learning english. :Owned: :asshole: :scatter:

I can speak and lipread well. Though my speech has been slowly getting to the point where I have to repeat myself to be understood lately so I have to either decide to become silent for life (not use voice anymore) or go back to speech therapy... I haven't quite decided either yet, but I think I'll keep using my voice a few more years yet. Just until I get more people to learn sign language (family members for one).

What made you become harder to understand? Do you voice less now than before or do you voice while you sign? Sometimes, trying to voice while doing strong ASL is hard. I sometimes voice and sign, but with PSE... which is why I have no problem because I'm usually signing mostly word for word. My interpreter friend told me that while she was a student, she had to learn to sign without using her voice because if she used both... it was sometimes difficult for people to understand her.

Back