Could someone deliver me from my ignorant distaste?

Well, deafdyke its probably cuz you got profound hearing loss and maybe your hearing aids are not powerful enough for you to be able to hear your own voice..Ive worn hearing aids since i was 4 years old, but then i had mild to severe hearing loss so i was able to hear my own voice and i was even able to use the phone! but now, im almost completely deaf, deaf in one ear that i cant wear hearing aid in anymore but i do have some hearing left in my other ear so i can still wear hearing aid....I know not all deaf can hear their own voices with hearing aids on...I should made myself clear, i didnt mean all the deaf, just some that are able to hear their own voices..people say that i have a almost normal voice. My voice can change to squeaky if i dont wear my hearing aid for a few days! oh yeah, i cannot use the phone anymore, just TTD.. :(

Defee, no I can hear my voice (only have a mild-moderate-moderately severe loss) but my voice is STILL very high pitched and unique sounding. Hearing aids don't help to make my voice sound more normal.

deafdyke said:
Defee, no I can hear my voice (only have a mild-moderate-moderately severe loss) but my voice is STILL very high pitched and unique sounding. Hearing aids don't help to make my voice sound more normal.
Oh ok, i understand! Some people told me that i have unique "accents"! hahaa...they thought im a foreigner! I sometimes lie and say im from England!
then i laugh and tell them that i was just joking and the truth is that im hearing impaired..they went like "whoa" they had no idea! hahaha

Defee said:
Oh ok, i understand! Some people told me that i have unique "accents"! hahaa...they thought im a foreigner! I sometimes lie and say im from England!
then i laugh and tell them that i was just joking and the truth is that im hearing impaired..they went like "whoa" they had no idea! hahaha

I get the foreigner response a lot as well. It's often funny. People always ask me if I'm norweigan or ask where my accent is from. No one can place it. hehe.

I get that response a lot too! :) I have a VERY "English" accent when speaking...it's really funny...you have no idea how many people have asked me if I'm from the UK!

deafdyke said:
Nope...my voice is VERY squeaky and "deaf" sounding and I've worn hearing aids since I was THREE!

Yep, me too. I wear hearing aids but that doesn't mean that i sound "normal" even though i think i do, but apparently i don't: i sound deaf.

I know that when i make noise, it's louder than i intend it to be, even when i think i'm being quiet. You can try as hard as possible to be quiet, and you don't succeed.

Why don't you wear headphones in the library so they don't bother you then? lol.

Hola from England. I only have a moderate hearing loss, so I can hear my voice well with my aids on, but even so it's almost always far too loud (apparently - it sounds ok to me!) - or else inaudibly quiet because I'm over-compensating. Hey, one other thing about what people are saying on this thread - voices that sound "deaf" usually sound really interesting too - or even really beautiful (in my experience - and I'm usually able to hear them) but anyway - and this is the important bit - it's what they are saying that matters.

Back