Could ABR Tests not be correct at times?

NaidaUP

Reaction score
I've just been reading about this guy who had a ABR done, which showed that his loss is, 70db, 110db, 120db, 120db, 120db (ski slope) but found his hearing aids way too loud so had them adjusted to the following audiogram, 110db, 90db, 90db, 85db, 80db (reverse ski slope) and is hearing a lot better with the revised audiogram.

I always thought that ABR show the quietest sounds we hear and is always correct? Is this not the case?

I remember someone saying their ABR shows profound loss, but they actually hear at kind of a moderate loss level.

I have no experience with ABRs in humans but I used to do ABRs on mice (who were deafened for research on the auditory system) and it is merely a measure of when the auditory nerve responds to a stimulus.
An audiogram is more representative of what a person can hear if they are able to respond appropriately.
Mice can't respond appropriately which is why I had to do ABRs on mice.

There can always, and I repeat, ALWAYS be a mistake on things... We are human, and even the computers we depend on so much, are operated by.... humans! This is no different. If you have a thought something may not be right, get it re-done or even seek a new audi. =P

I had an abr but couldn't go to sleep so waiting to see if they will redo it under an anaesthetic

To me, they shouldn't say that people are faking their hearing losses or faking how bad of their loss is with ABRs then if they are not that reliable, which seems to happen a lot in the UK, not sure of the US.

This happened to me..had the ABR and it didn't show nearly as much of a hearing loss which is why I was having a hard time getting the CI. CI audi pretty much said (first time) I was faking how bad my hearing loss was ...needless to say she got a NASTY letter from my audi!

I've just read that ABR tests can only go upto 100db and for high frequencies of 3000hz and more. Which means they are not accurate as it doesn't test low frequencies and if your loss is 100db and worse then it doesn't show that you have a hearing loss.

Also the OAE test which again causes people to be told they are faking their hearing loss (especially when having tests for CIs) can only show if your loss is better or worse then 35db.

The purpose of the OAE test is only to show - The importance of this test is that it shows a response from the cochlea and enables the audiologist to determine if the hearing loss is actually in the cochlea or in the nerve that takes the sound into the brain.

Oh, I think we learned about this in one of my classes! They said that there are two reasons. The first is that an ABR really only gives a "range" of information, so the precision is not great. Plus, the person who reads it can be good, or not so good at it!.

The other reason would be auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder. That can present as a profound abr but other test can show better hearing. It is a very complicated disorder in which sound is not sent from the ear to the brain properly.

"Passing" an abr basically means the operator is able to make out 5 different waveforms. They all look so much alike.
With little kids, knowledgable audiologists say not to rely on the ABR to determine the severity of hearing loss.
I don't know why anybody would think things change in adults.
Hearing aids should be fit by patient feedback.
So many people with audiologically severe hearing loss give up on hearing aids because they didn't do well with hearing aids fit by a person at their school 10 yars ago.
And many people with profound hearing loss do very well with hearing aids that are fit and adjusted many times.

Back