Cost of deaf school.

Lysander

Reaction score
I was curious. Do you have to pay to go to Deaf school, or is it considered a type of charter school? Does your family have to move or are there residential programs? Are the schools considered public schools or are they privately funded through donations? Is it different for every school or are they part of a Deaf education network?

I see a lot of people post about them, but I don't really understand how they work on a public education/funding/administrative level.

Most of the deaf schools in the 48 states are state and publicly financed.
Clarke in MA and a few schools in NY are privately funded.
the charter schools in MN and CO are paid by the state somewhat.

see http://www.ceasd.org/

I was curious. Do you have to pay to go to Deaf school, or is it considered a type of charter school? Does your family have to move or are there residential programs? Are the schools considered public schools or are they privately funded through donations? Is it different for every school or are they part of a Deaf education network?

I see a lot of people post about them, but I don't really understand how they work on a public education/funding/administrative level.

f r e e, now you know why deaf people loves to look for free stuff. :lol:

They are funded through the state, just the same as any public school.

To answer a few more in addition to what others have already said.

Some people do move to be closer to the deaf school but almost all, if not all of the state funded schools have residential programs/dorms for those who live further away. I think a few of the privately funded schools like Clarke and St Joseph also have residential programs. A lot of them are on the decline though- when my friend was working at Eastern NC School for the Deaf she mentioned there weren't that many who stayed in the dorms. More and more families are realizing that having the kid home after school does benefit them more (if the environment is the same- sign at home like at school). MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf) in DC has students from all over the US.

f r e e, now you know why deaf people loves to look for free stuff. :lol:

LOL well considering public schools are f r e e too, now we know why so many hearing people loves to look for free stuff :D.

NCSD (NC/Morganton)...was a beautiful campus...seems it's closed down now as many other schools for the deaf have closed....very expensive to maintain...I lived 300 miles away from home there.

Oregon's is publicly funded but is a private school. Students can live on campus year round and most do. A lot are just dropped off and picked up once a year. Parents can't live on campus but salem oregon is a great place to live. The oregon deaf school does have private funding from families and previous students. They are father ahead then the rest of the salem schools in funding and test scores. But it is free for students to attend. They school and teachers also get grants from the state because it is a school for 'disabled ' student.

NCSD (NC/Morganton)...was a beautiful campus...seems it's closed down now as many other schools for the deaf have closed....very expensive to maintain...I lived 300 miles away from home there.

Hmm I thought the Morganton one was still open. They just had a visit from Bobbie Cordano (Gally president) this year. I know I've heard rumors that they may shut down and send all the students to ENCSD but nothing came of it- yet. The Central NCSD closed down years and years ago.

I once applied for a job at the Morganton campus...turned it down though...

To answer a few more in addition to what others have already said.

Some people do move to be closer to the deaf school but almost all, if not all of the state funded schools have residential programs/dorms for those who live further away. I think a few of the privately funded schools like Clarke and St Joseph also have residential programs. A lot of them are on the decline though- when my friend was working at Eastern NC School for the Deaf she mentioned there weren't that many who stayed in the dorms. More and more families are realizing that having the kid home after school does benefit them more (if the environment is the same- sign at home like at school). MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf) in DC has students from all over the US.

LOL well considering public schools are f r e e too, now we know why so many hearing people loves to look for free stuff :D.
The oral schools no longer have dorms. I think the only private school that has dorms is St Rita's. And yes dorming it is getting very rare. Most of the kids who dorm are teens.

In portugal you have to pay, and is not just a bit.. is ALOT. There are stages aswell. I went to see the prices in Porto and I was shocked! I don't understand how is so expensive when this is a necessity not only for deaf people but for the whole community. Also from what I know they're all private institutions...
Is quite sad.

Back