cooking when been short

Dreamer03

Reaction score
IMG_40437118388513_zpsc1c5a161.jpg

I've posted this on Facebook before :) cuz yup, that's me

my girl is 4'10 after growth hormone yes things can be difficult..her brother is over 6ft

my girl is 4'10 after growth hormone yes things can be difficult..her brother is over 6ft

I at least made it over 5' :) barely. I'm 5'1". My sister in law is 4'11" she makes me feel like giant. I love her.

I had an elderly client that lived in a new senior housing apartment and I not believe how high the bottom shelf was in the kitchen cabinet. The woman was very short and had to keep all her dishes in cardboard boxes on the floor. The guys that build the apartment where idiots to had put the cabinets up so high . That photo reminded me of my short clients living a apartment a build for giants .

I worked for a construction & real estate company for many years and we had a tenant that did a similar thing not because she was short but because she was in a wheelchair. She would boost herself up from her chair to sit on the counter to reach the lower shelves of the upper cabinets.

When we were building another apartment building the bosses ask her for suggestions. Both the building she had lived in and the new one were designed with outside doors to each apartment and we had already provided a ramp.The only thing she came up with was to put a regular passage door on the bathroom (did you know that bathroom doors are often narrower that those between other rooms?). She said that regular upper cabinets are useful even if not easy to reach from a wheelchair. In regard to that the upper most ones she used for seasonal things that she did not have to get to regularly. Even when she lived in a very large city she had no problems with friends and/or neighbors helping with things that only need to be used rarely but that she did want.

In the other direction many years ago I knew a gal that was a distant relative that was very tall. To make it more comfortable for her back they had the cabinets in their kitchen built with higher counters than standard.

I worked for a construction & real estate company for many years and we had a tenant that did a similar thing not because she was short but because she was in a wheelchair. She would boost herself up from her chair to sit on the counter to reach the lower shelves of the upper cabinets.

When we were building another apartment building the bosses ask her for suggestions. Both the building she had lived in and the new one were designed with outside doors to each apartment and we had already provided a ramp.The only thing she came up with was to put a regular passage door on the bathroom (did you know that bathroom doors are often narrower that those between other rooms?). She said that regular upper cabinets are useful even if not easy to reach from a wheelchair. In regard to that the upper most ones she used for seasonal things that she did not have to get to regularly. Even when she lived in a very large city she had no problems with friends and/or neighbors helping with things that only need to be used rarely but that she did want.

In the other direction many years ago I knew a gal that was a distant relative that was very tall. To make it more comfortable for her back they had the cabinets in their kitchen built with higher counters than standard.

I worked as health aide in one senior housing and there where people that could not get into the bathtub so they would use the tub to store things.
I think some construction companies forget who they're building the place for. The senior housing that had the cabinets too high also put a shelve in a closet that was about seven ft. from the floor .
I knew a woman that tall and she had her kitchen sink made higher so she would not have to bend over too far.

I worked as health aide in one senior housing and there where people that could not get into the bathtub so they would use the tub to store things.
I think some construction companies forget who they're building the place for. The senior housing that had the cabinets too high also put a shelve in a closet that was about seven ft. from the floor .
I knew a woman that tall and she had her kitchen sink made higher so she would not have to bend over too far.

Don't blame the construction company unless they are also the owner and not building to qualify for certain financing or programs.

Back