contact sport, sky diving and cochlear implants?

Something else on the nono list was white knuckle funfair rides too. I mean the big scary ones. Has any CI users gone on the more fast fair rides without their CI breaking down?

I've been on plenty of wild rides yet I haven't experienced any problem with my CIs. The only thing I do is to make sure that I remove my speech processors for obvious reasons.

I've been on plenty of wild rides yet I haven't experienced any problem with my CIs. The only thing I do is to make sure that I remove my speech processors for obvious reasons.

Thanks for getting back to me about it Hear again. I also like white knuckle rides.

I did contact Coclear about this matter. This is what they have to say:

Some activities with high impact risk apply a certain amount of acceleration or pressure to the recipient’s head. The acceleration may also result in uncontrolled movements of the head causing impact on the implant side. The acceleration to the implant itself is not the main potential cause for implant failure. The implant itself underwent severe testing including acceleration tests up to 10g.

Nevertheless, the acceleration may have severe side effects. The electrode could get extruded from the cochlea or the implant displaced. The acceleration may also cause the recipients head to be either pressed firmly against another object or to impact with another object. Especially penetrating a water surface during diving with headfirst could cause severe pressure on the implant package. This may cause damage to the implant and could result in failure of the receiver stimulator package. Due to the acceleration, the externals could spin off the head and be lost. As such, activities with a high impact risk are not recommended for CI recipients. If a CI recipient decides to undergo such activities it is recommended to wear a helmet, which leaves enough spacing over the implant site to prevent any pressure being applied. Such a helmet may help to reduce impact forces but not full protect the implant system. The externals should not be worn during such activities.

Implact recipients are free to make their own decisions, but any impact to the head does risk failure of the implant package.

I go Skiing and I wear helmet while skiing, to prevent my CI getting loose or get broken. So I'm sure you can go to Sky Diving...only I would take them off before going to Sky Diving. That's what I would've done.

I have CI and I plan to do Bungee Jumping, Sky Diving, Water Rafting and Rock Climbing... and I would take my CI off while doing those, except for Rock Climbing.

I already did skiing, water skiing, Jet Skiing, scuba diving, Four wheeler and motorcycle before.... I don't wear CI while doing water skiing and Jet skiing along with scuba diving.

My CI didn't broke at all, I hear just fine.

I go Skiing and I wear helmet while skiing, to prevent my CI getting loose or get broken. So I'm sure you can go to Sky Diving...only I would take them off before going to Sky Diving. That's what I would've done.

I have CI and I plan to do Bungee Jumping, Sky Diving, Water Rafting and Rock Climbing... and I would take my CI off while doing those, except for Rock Climbing.

I already did skiing, water skiing, Jet Skiing, scuba diving, Four wheeler and motorcycle before.... I don't wear CI while doing water skiing and Jet skiing along with scuba diving.

Thanks for your information. Please let me know how you get on if you go bungee jumping. I've done 9 so far. It's scary jumping but afterwards it's great fun.

I never try do sky diving. I want to try all of these.

I hope I can go back ride on bike again. I have my own brand of helmet is Bell. It can fit on my CI. It have little lock and adjust to loose. I quit ride on bike for 2 years due to my vision and balance problem.

Thanks for your information. Please let me know how you get on if you go bungee jumping. I've done 9 so far. It's scary jumping but afterwards it's great fun.

Did you!! Where?? I did one in New Zealand the highest one in NZ. It was awesome, think it was 134 metres and off the cable car. I want to jump off Victoria falls In South Africa, the worlds highest bungee jump.... maybe i could twist my uncle's arm for a long awaited visit....

Did you!! Where?? I did one in New Zealand the highest one in NZ. It was awesome, think it was 134 metres and off the cable car. I want to jump off Victoria falls In South Africa, the worlds highest bungee jump.... maybe i could twist my uncle's arm for a long awaited visit....

I did that one!! I jumped off Victoria Falls Bridge in Africa! (It's actually between Zambia and Zimbabwe, not South Africa) However, it is not the world's highest. It is only 111 meters. You're thinking of the other one that is in South Africa called Bloukrans Bridge. It is 216 meters.

All my jumps have taken place in England. First Jump was in Manchester. I've also done jumps in London, Birmingham, and Peterbough. In fact most of my jumps were done in Peterbough when I used to go to this bikers rally every year. I once did 3 jumps together. The 2nd and 3rd jump were at reduced rate.

I did that one!! I jumped off Victoria Falls Bridge in Africa! (It's actually between Zambia and Zimbabwe, not South Africa) However, it is not the world's highest. It is only 111 meters. You're thinking of the other one that is in South Africa called Bloukrans Bridge. It is 216 meters.

Yeah thats the one but i was told it was victora falls but :ty: for correcting me... crikey...... 216m ummm *runs to another webpage for flight prices to SA!!*

Daredevil and otherthepond: Let me know how you get on if you do that bungee jump. I'd like to do another jump too but it would HAVE to be in England.

hi guys
i am a ENT surgeon and i will ask my team next day as i will be performing a cochlear implant at 9am on a baby that having 2 implants i will ask the audiologist that going in the theatre with me about this

Mr.Andrews
ENT surgeon
i tell you when i am not in theatre about 7pm if i can as i am oncall so i may not can do it
you can ask me ??????!!!!!!!

I always wear my skiing helmet on at all times when im off to skiing....

I've just been looking online again about information about CI's. It seems you can't do sky diving, scuba diving or contact sports. Although some sources say you can do scuba diving. So that's rather a contradition.

One of my characters with CI does parachute jumping. (although she has problems with her landings so much so that she has to give it up eventually).

How dangerous are all these things on the list of restrictions for CI users anyway?

Here are sports that my daughter has played both on the varsity and collegiate level with her ci:

Field Hockey
Basketball
Badminton

She also skis all the time.

Here are other sports her friends have played, again both on the HS Varsity level and in college:

Ice hockey
football
softball
baseball
soccer
lacrosse

Whatever is your source about contact sports, it is flat out 100% wrong!

hi again it Mr.Andrews
i had asked my team in theatre and they had said roller coaster are fine but scuba diving
to 85 feet

the baby that i did is doing allright the surgery went greet too

Mr Andrews
ENT surgeon

hi again it Mr.Andrews
i had asked my team in theatre and they had said roller coaster are fine but scuba diving
to 85 feet

the baby that i did is doing allright the surgery went greet too

Mr Andrews
ENT surgeon

I can't help but wonder about this post. I would suggest for anyone or any parent that is concerned about what activities can be done with a CI, that you ask your own CI audi or surgeon.

Back