Confused & angry

Discussion in 'American with Disabilities Act' started by C-NICE, Jul 1, 2017.

1. C-NICE

C-NICE Active Member

I know I speak differently due to my hearing loss, but I was recently turned down for a job and one of the reasons given was that I slurred my speech. Before I was laid off I worked for 16 years on the phone doing Customer Service and no one ever said anything regarding my speech. Confused and Angry.

2. whatdidyousay!

whatdidyousay! Well-Known Member

3. LoveBlue

LoveBlue Well-Known Member

Your speech may be getting worse as your hearing gets worse. At some point during the decline of my hearing a couple of people said I was developing a deaf accent. I did not notice, of course.

Recently a woman I barely know and only see maybe once a month told me that my speech has improved since getting my CI.

I hope you qualify for a CI soon. Wonder if this job situation might help you qualify.

4. Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone Active Member

It could have been discrimination but making that kind of a challenge takes over your life and is extremely hard to prove.

Since you worked in a stable situation for a long time you may not have had much feedback about your speech in some time. Perhaps you can harness that anger and do some refreshing with a speech therapist. this is a time for putting your best foot forward so 'sharpening' up your speech might be a lot like buying a new outfit for interviews. It's another way to show your best side. This unpleasant experience may end up a blessing, but only in hindsight.

Good luck and keep us informed.

5. AmputeeOT

AmputeeOT Member

Was non-slurred speech an essential job requirement?

Do you have proof?

If you do, you should file a complaint with the EEOC or your state EEOC branch.

I have helped people through several EEOC claims and have read basically everything on the EEOC website including all of the discrimination settlements. You can PM me if you want, I want to help.

6. C-NICE

C-NICE Active Member

The job description listed good communication skills. The thing is no one else Friends, Family, Coworkers or past customers from my last position or my temp work up to now have ever mentioned anything regarding my speech other than I speak loudly. I wear Niadas so it was apparent to the interviewer that I'm Hard of Hearing. I was just told that I did not make the cut.

7. whatdidyousay!

whatdidyousay! Well-Known Member

Do you know why you laid off from your last job ? Do you think you could get a job recommandation letter from them so when try to get another job use the letter if you need to ? Good communication skills it more than having a 'prefect sounding voice' , you have to be a good listener too and there are hearing people that are horrible at this . So if a person has an accent they have 'poor communication skills ' too ?

8. DeafDucky

DeafDucky Well-Known Member

Job recommendation/reference letters (or calls these days) does not always help- it's only one tiny piece of the whole picture. In fact more often than not most don't ask for references any more in my experience- at least in IT.

Yes they are important but I wouldn't rely on it heavily either.