Concerned, can anyone help

stephaniep

Reaction score
Today I went for a check up with my audiologist and she found a dramatic downward hearing shift in my right ear. . She did tell me she is concerned to know what is happening to that nerve from my ear to my brain. She made me an appointment with the ENT and she will do another hearing test before my ENT appointment? Has anyone had this problem with a sudden shift in only one ear? What could be the cause of quite a change from one ear to another?? I have severe sensorineural hearing loss in both ears and my right one was always a pinch better than the left. For some reason now I lost the hearing in my better ear?

Last edited:
The only experience I have with a sudden shift in my hearing happened over the course of about a year, where I dropped about 20-30 dB in that time. My hearing loss is sensorineural, so my auditory nerve isn’t picking up sounds like it’s supposed to. Our situations are a bit different, but I definitely relate with the surprise and concern that comes with such a sudden shift from what you’re used to. Good luck with your upcoming appointments!

Today I went for a check up with my audiologist and she found a dramatic downward hearing shift in my right ear. . She did tell me she is concerned to know what is happening to that nerve from my ear to my brain. She made me an appointment with the ENT and she will do another hearing test before my ENT appointment? Has anyone had this problem with a sudden shift in only one ear? What could be the cause of quite a change from one ear to another?? I have severe sensorineural hearing loss in both ears and my right one was always a pinch better than the left. For some reason now I lost the hearing in my better ear?

it could be earwax (had that happen but not too often!)

If not wax, it could be an acoustic neuroma. An MRI would be needed to confirm or rule out.

images

Back