Command & Conquer... Your Thoughts?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Anybody ever play Command & Conquer?

There were 17 games total.

I've played only 12 of them.

There is an 18th game, but it's a MMORTS, not a stand alone game.

I'm disappointed with the way EA treated this game. :(

I played the original C&C years and years ago, nothing since though. I'm probably losing out...

I recall messing around with one in my ex's PC (a cold war variant), liked to play the Soviet side! :D Not sure if it is still out there, but you can download a DLL or two for various cheats. Reslly, darn thing takes forever to complete. :lol:

I was big C & C fan but not anymore after EA killed this brand.

Loved the first one.
Loved Red Alert.
Tiberian Sun bored me... far too many boring missions having to destroy an enemy base piece by piece, and every last piece.

Played a bit of Generals, but by this point RTS games demanded so many shortcut keys and bookmarks and stuff that I lost interest.

I haven't played since Red Alert, but I did love the game. I've been playing games like AOE, Grand Ages of Rome and Stronghold for years.

The fact is: Subscription games make more money than stand alone games.

Some developers argue it's a question of piracy, I don't believe this is true. I think they can make original stand alone game and charge for encrypted expansions instead of locking in a subscription.

Bottom line: If gamers like me don't buy subscriptions, there wouldn't be any.

Over time, you're spending a lot more on a game.

I played the original C&C years and years ago, nothing since though. I'm probably losing out...
Did you ever play against the dinosaurs?

It was a secret series of missions that came with Command & Conquer: Covert Operations.

I recall messing around with one in my ex's PC (a cold war variant), liked to play the Soviet side! :D Not sure if it is still out there, but you can download a DLL or two for various cheats. Reslly, darn thing takes forever to complete. :lol:
I think it was an INI file that you could modify with notepad. You could control which side gets which unit, their speed, their weapons, their range, their rate of fire, etc.

I remember playing around with it after I beat the game several times.

Loved the first one.
Loved Red Alert.
Tiberian Sun bored me... far too many boring missions having to destroy an enemy base piece by piece, and every last piece.

Played a bit of Generals, but by this point RTS games demanded so many shortcut keys and bookmarks and stuff that I lost interest.
How did it "demand"?

I think it was an INI file that you could modify with notepad. You could control which side gets which unit, their speed, their weapons, their range, their rate of fire, etc.

I remember playing around with it after I beat the game several times.

No sir, they were DLL files. I remember using 2 of which gave me unlimited currency and cruise missiles to the Soviet subs. I think an A-10 was introduced for the US side, but I didn't bother with that one.

How did it "demand"?

To stand any chance against other people, you had to make tons of bookmarks, you had to hotkey stuff, you were constantly jumping between multiple battles and toggling abilities and adding stuff to your build queue.

C&C worked because you just had those sidebars that showed what was being built, and you could only have one unit and one building under construction at a time.

To stand any chance against other people, you had to make tons of bookmarks, you had to hotkey stuff, you were constantly jumping between multiple battles and toggling abilities and adding stuff to your build queue.

C&C worked because you just had those sidebars that showed what was being built, and you could only have one unit and one building under construction at a time.
I see what you mean.

I played C&C with and without hotkeys/shortcuts. It wasn't an absolute requirement, but it was beneficial at times.

For instance, in Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn... the fastest heaviest armored vehicle was the APC. I would build one, then assign it as #1. I would then send it off to explore the map. Because of its speed and armor, it could survive the trip into the middle of the enemy base before being destroyed. That's when I can center the enemy base before bookmarking its location. Now, I know the location even when the fogs of war covers the base.

No sir, they were DLL files. I remember using 2 of which gave me unlimited currency and cruise missiles to the Soviet subs. I think an A-10 was introduced for the US side, but I didn't bother with that one.
What I did was modify the RULES.INI file. Getting unlimited currency wasn't a problem because I would simply change the cost of my units to $1. ;)

I would even reassign some units so that only I could build them. I even made Albert Einstein a trainable unit with the ability to shock others from 100 yards. ;)

I would even reassign some units so that only I could build them. I even made Albert Einstein a trainable unit with the ability to shock others from 100 yards. ;)

That's awesome! :thumb:

My favourite thing to do in Red Alert was play a skirmish with lots of AIs. I'd build an impenetrable defense and let the AI throw their armies against it (the AI was not very good a doing anything but charging blindly). I'd let my ore field regrow too by harvesting in a checkerboard pattern, and once the AIs had worn each other out, my fleet of helicopters and tanks would wipe the map clean.

That's awesome! :thumb:

My favourite thing to do in Red Alert was play a skirmish with lots of AIs. I'd build an impenetrable defense and let the AI throw their armies against it (the AI was not very good a doing anything but charging blindly). I'd let my ore field regrow too by harvesting in a checkerboard pattern, and once the AIs had worn each other out, my fleet of helicopters and tanks would wipe the map clean.
I once designed a skirmish map where the accessible land was shapped like a 'S'. At one end, I would have 5 starting points by each other. At the other end, I would have 1 starting point. When I start, I could be the lone army at that end and take my time to grow while the others battle it out like ants. Or... I could be one of the unfortunate 5 and try to survive. ;)

Every play the giant ants missions?

I love Tanya
Which version?

I've played the Red Alert and Red Alert 2 versions. Judging those two, I like the 2nd version better.The actress also starred in Sliders. I've read that the Red Alert 3 version is different... and played by Jenny McCarthy.

Last edited:
I just watched the previews for Red Alert 3. Looks good.

It looks like a mix between Red Alert 2 and Generals.

Back