College

Radcliff

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, what is a good college? I cant hear in normal lecture halls and I am not fluent in sign language.

California State University in Northridge probably is a great place for you. There are about 200 Deaf students. I am sure some of them are non-signers like you. They provide everything that Non-signers need. Here is information: https://www.csun.edu/ncod

What do you think of real time captioning? Saved one of my non-signing homies in college.

I've seen this work out wonderfully and I've seen it go horribly wrong. I watched it for a golf event at one point and it was hysterical. The person doing the captioning had to be drunk. You'd get message across the screen like, "John is lining up his shobidipert. He stepping indidiiii, he semaabb to be taking a lot of tirrrmmdedd on this one."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I've seen things in trig like "Now we take X and get sex [sec]"

I've seen this work out wonderfully and I've seen it go horribly wrong. I watched it for a golf event at one point and it was hysterical. The person doing the captioning had to be drunk. You'd get message across the screen like, "John is lining up his shobidipert. He stepping indidiiii, he semaabb to be taking a lot of tirrrmmdedd on this one."

Hey guys and gals, what is a good college? I cant hear in normal lecture halls and I am not fluent in sign language.
You can still go to Gally or NTID and become fluent in ASL. They welcome and accept new signers. Not every kid at a Deaf college grew up fluent in ASL and going to deaf schools/classes. Heck becoming ASL fluent could give you an edge both academicly. Meaning you wouldn't have to work so hard AND you could take advantage of networking in the Deaf community to eventually get a job.....the job market is ruthless and most hearing employers aren't all that impressed by people who only speak. They like speech skills yes, but you won't automaticly get a good job just b/c you speak.

I went online since flying out to Gally is not a good choice for me. Online i can read everything instead of listen and all my reports are typed not spoken.

California State University in Northridge probably is a great place for you. There are about 200 Deaf students. I am sure some of them are non-signers like you. They provide everything that Non-sign
California State University in Northridge probably is a great place for you. There are about 200 Deaf students. I am sure some of them are non-signers like you. They provide everything that Non-signers need. Here is information: https://www.csun.edu/ncod
This looks great! But since I live in Illinois ill have to pay out of state tuition. Im already in a lot of debt because of my surgeries :/

This looks great! But since I live in Illinois ill have to pay out of state tuition. Im already in a lot of debt because of my surgeries :/
The only way to know for sure is to contact the school. They may have financial options for the Deaf program.

Secret funding options are everywhere. Especially since you have health and debt challenges, you might be eligible for a lot more than regular students.

There are secret funding options all over the place for people like you. Esp since you got health and debt stuff.

Oh GPAs = scholarship opportunities. You get good, scholarships like you.

Have you checked the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation? They may pay for your education too if it fits in your career requirements -- like "Yo, I'm Dundreary and I want to be come a Badass, but this homeboy need a degree in Badassery or ain't nobody hire him"

Back