college/universities best for deaf people

If one is living away from home, and dorms are shut down during breaks, one has travel expenses to contend with when one needs to return home. Likewise, many degrees require completion of practicums and internships that are completed off campus. One must travel to these locations. Loans must be paid back, with interest, so even with financial aid and loans covering the estimated costs of books, you are racking up interest on loans that evenutally must be paid back. One must have clothing in order to attend classes. What about the cost of printing documents? What about the costs of other supplies and class fees? The fact of the matter is, post-secondary education is expensive. There are ways to do it cheaper than others, but it is still an expensive proposition, no matter how you look at it.
There are other ways to make the cost lower.

You can look for ways to get scholarship or work for something in exchange.

At RIT, the financial aid office has a wall full of information for getting scholarship. They range from achieving certain tasks to writing certain papers.

At NTID, the NTID Student Congress offers free rooms to the president and vice president.

At NTID, the Student Life Team offers free rooms to their 12 students who are CSAs (Community Student Advocates)... plus some money every month.

At RIT, Residence Life offers free room and board to their resident advisors. (First year resident advisors actually get 80% free and have to pay for the other 20%. Second year and beyond, they get it all free.) Instead of full debit for meal plans, resident advisors actually get 80% debit and 20% flex (aka Tiger Bucks). Debit can be used at any food establishment and flex can be used anywhere. That's a good opportunity for buying books.

At RIT, the financial aid office has a wall full of information for getting scholarship. They range from achieving certain tasks to writing certain papers.

At NTID, the NTID Student Congress offers free rooms to the president and vice president.

At NTID, the Student Life Team offers free rooms to their 12 students who are CSAs (Community Student Advocates)... plus some money every month.

At RIT, Residence Life offers free room and board to their resident advisors. (First year resident advisors actually get 80% free and have to pay for the other 20%. Second year and beyond, they get it all free.) Instead of full debit for meal plans, resident advisors actually get 80% debit and 20% flex (aka Tiger Bucks). Debit can be used at any food establishment and flex can be used anywhere. That's a good opportunity for buying books.

I totally a agree!!!!!!! There are ways to make things cheap. Sitting on here whining about the cost of things does not solve anything.

This is helpful and practical.

But they are still figured into the total estimated cost of attendance. If your parents are paying for your education, they have to figure these costs in to know how much it will cost them to send you to school. If you are paying for school yourself you have to figure these costs in to know how much money you will need to attend school. To leave them out will put you in a serious financial bind.

No! Financial aid and Scholarships never cover the cost of food, clothes, electric bill, water, etc. Why? Because that stuff is separate, that stuff is not educational expenses.

No! Financial aid and Scholarships never cover the cost of food, clothes, electric bill, water, etc. Why? Because that stuff is separate, that stuff is not educational expenses.
Actually, financial aid also varies on the individual and their needs.

They may not say "Oh, we'll only pay for tuition." Instead, they might say "Oh, we'll give you $5,000." It's up to you how you want to spend that $5,000.

They may not say "Oh, we'll only pay for tuition." Instead, they might say "Oh, we'll give you $5,000." It's up to you how you want to spend that $5,000.

Financial aid, Pell grants, do not cover food, clothes, etc.. they are only for tuition and books. If you have money left over then your tuition was either cheaper then the grant or you managed what they gave you for books very well.

Either way, financial aid is still not for everyday expenses we have jobs and family for that. You use financial aid for everyday expenses and you'll be either cheating the system or committing fraud.

Way off topic...isn't this against the rule?

It happens so often in so many different threads. Up to the OP to tell everyone to get back on topic.

It is human nature to start expanding the topic into different subtopics.

Is there a college or university that has a good program for deaf people? Such as better service or more deaf students in the school?

Thank you!

Better College or University for Deaf?

The Galladuet University are better for Deaf people.

I remember I went to LaGuardia Commuinty College on 12 years, went to college for many deaf course. I learned it. I didnot go to college again. 10 years, Maybe I will go to Galladuet University this Fall.

Actually, what they do is offer you an award letter, telling you what you are eligible for at the undergraduate level in grants, loans, scholarships, and Federal Work Study. They base the amount offered on the estimated cost of attendance. And the estimated cost of attendance includes the cost of books, transportation, housing, etc. The amount of your award is applied to your account, tuition and fees are automatically deceducted, and the remainder, if there is one, is sent to the student int he form of a disbursement. To be spent on those expense that are related to attending school, such as housing, food, clothing, books, and supplies.

I totally a agree!!!!!!! There are ways to make things cheap. Sitting on here whining about the cost of things does not solve anything.

No one is whining about the cost of anything. I am simply trying to keep things realistic when it comes to the cost of post-secondary education. As a graduate student, I have quite a bit of experience in the matter. As an employee of disability services, I deal with financial aid issues on a daily basis.

Financial aid, Pell grants, do not cover food, clothes, etc.. they are only for tuition and books. If you have money left over then your tuition was either cheaper then the grant or you managed what they gave you for books very well.

Either way, financial aid is still not for everyday expenses we have jobs and family for that. You use financial aid for everyday expenses and you'll be either cheating the system or committing fraud.

I'm sorry jasin, but you are incorrect about that. The total amount of a Pell Grant that can be awarded is 4500.00, issued quarterly or by the semester, depending upon which system your school uses. If you also have other scholarships, and or loans, which is very likely, then the entire amount of your Pell Grant and other aid is applied to your account. Tuition is deducted, and any overage is sent to the student to be used for discretionary expenses.

Definitely, but I did not start this I was just responding to the myths and half truths.

Sweetie, we have been trying to explain to you that you are the one who has misconceptions. I am an employee of a unversity, as well as a graduate student, and I deal with financial aid issues on a daily basis. If you walked into my office with the same misconceptions, I would still tell you that you are not correct in what you are saying. And the financial aid officer and the Bursar's office would do the same.

I'm sorry jasin, but you are incorrect about that. The total amount of a Pell Grant that can be awarded is 4500.00, issued quarterly or by the semester, depending upon which system your school uses. If you also have other scholarships, and or loans, which is very likely, then the entire amount of your Pell Grant and other aid is applied to your account. Tuition is deducted, and any overage is sent to the student to be used for discretionary expenses.

The check they give you at the start of the quarter is what's left over. It is to be used for books and supplies not food or housing expenses. Sure, you can take money from that check and use it for food if you have enough left over after buying your books, but the money is not given to a student for personal expenses. Financial aid is not for personal expenses, its not a personal loan. I'm not the one who is mistaken you are.

Sweetie, we have been trying to explain to you that you are the one who has misconceptions. I am an employee of a unversity, as well as a graduate student, and I deal with financial aid issues on a daily basis. If you walked into my office with the same misconceptions, I would still tell you that you are not correct in what you are saying. And the financial aid officer and the Bursar's office would do the same.

I deal with the people working in the financial aid office all the time and half the time they are wrong. I know this to be a fact because I always check and confirm what they tell me with the financial aid directors.

The person who approves financial aid locally at the college its self is the director not the person working the front desk. The person at the front desk in the financial aid office many times is just a student working a part time job trying to pay for their own tuition. That person typically knows nothing more then stuff about forms that need to be processed and filled out. They are secretaries, nothing more.

The government sets how much is to set aside for financial aid pell grants, yes, but there is no set amount granted across the board for each student. Where you get the $4500 dollar figure from I do not know. My tuition exceeds $4500 each semester and anually and i've never paid for tuition. The amount one receives from what the government has set aside for pell grants is actually based on enrollment status and coa which is different from college to college and student to student.

http://ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/attachments/0304Vol3Ch2.pdf

Last edited:
The check they give you at the start of the quarter is what's left over. It is to be used for books and supplies not food or housing expenses. Sure, you can take money from that check and use it for food if you have enough left over after buying your books, but the money is not given to a student for personal expenses. Financial aid is not for personal expenses, its not a personal loan. I'm not the one who is mistaken you are.

The money is given to cover educational expenses, and personal living expenses are a part of that.

But, I guess I don't know what I am talking about. I guess I need to go to work tomorrow, and tell our financial aid officer and everyone in the Bursar's Office that they don't know what they are talking about, either. :ugh3:

The government sets how much is to set aside for financial aid pell grants, yes, but there is no set amount granted across the board for each student. Where you get the $4500 dollar figure from I do not know. My tuition exceeds $4500 each semester and anually and i've never paid for tuition. The amount one receives from what the government has set aside for pell grants is actually based on enrollment status and coa which is different from college to college and student to student.

http://ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/attachments/0304Vol3Ch2.pdf

The $4500 is the maxiumum allowed annually for a Pell Grant. That is where I get the figure from. But, it would seem that you think you know more than those who work directly with finanacial aid in a major state university.

The number of Pell Grants given to a university is based on enrollment. It is also based on the number of students that are first time college attendees, whether it is in an impoverished area, and numerous other criteria. That does not affect the maximum amount permitted per student in a Pell Grant. That maximum amount is still $4500.00. A student can receive less, based on their fafsa results, and their SAR. They cannot, however receive more than $4500.00 annually.

If you haven't paid for your tuition, then you are recieving aid other than just Pell Grant. Check your award letter. It will outline exactluy what you are receiving broken down by type of aid.

The $4500 is the maxiumum allowed annually for a Pell Grant. That is where I get the figure from. But, it would seem that you think you know more than those who work directly with finanacial aid in a major state university.

The number of Pell Grants given to a university is based on enrollment. It is also based on the number of students that are first time college attendees, whether it is in an impoverished area, and numerous other criteria. That does not affect the maximum amount permitted per student in a Pell Grant. That maximum amount is still $4500.00. A student can receive less, based on their fafsa results, and their SAR. They cannot, however receive more than $4500.00 annually.

If you haven't paid for your tuition, then you are recieving aid other than just Pell Grant. Check your award letter. It will outline exactluy what you are receiving broken down by type of aid.

Well I know you are full of it now because my tuition is almost 3 times that.

My registration specifically says "coverd by financial aid", so I am not receiving money from other sources, besides .. I never signed up for any scholarships or loans. You don't know what you talking about!!!!!!!!! I do not get money from other sources.

No, you did not get that figure from the link I gave, the link I gave says 4050 and it was only an example of how things are estimated. It was only an example, it even specifically says, "example". I doubt you even read the page I gave a link too. Matter of fact, its a bit obvious that you never read it.

Back