college/universities best for deaf people

Do you know also if someone transfers with a degree like that will they have to retake similar courses?

Like for example, If I go into the deaf studies certificate program at Rit will I have to take up Asl I - Iv again.

Deaf Studies

No, you are already degreed. And the ASL courses pretty much transfer across the board. Where people run into problems is transferring Humanities credits, Social Science credits, and Math credits. The curriculum at one school doesn't necessary cover everything that the curriculum at the second school covers.

Those are tuition costs only, and don't include room and board or books or additional living and traveling expenses. I am assuming that you are posting costs per year?

I can tell you that I personally attend, as a graduate student, a state school, and my tuition alone is $3000 per quarter, for a grand total of 12,000 per year. Books average $400-600 a qyarter. Undergraduate tuition at this same institution is 2,000 per quarter qnd when housing and books are added in a quarter costs approximately 3500.00 for an undergrad. Assuming that they are attending 3 quarters a year, that adds up to 10,500.00 per year. I don't consider that to be inexpensive.

You said "program" not the cost of going to college. The cost of the program is the tuition.

No, you are already degreed. And the ASL courses pretty much transfer across the board. Where people run into problems is transferring Humanities credits, Social Science credits, and Math credits. The curriculum at one school doesn't necessary cover everything that the curriculum at the second school covers.

Thats good to know. At least I and other students wont be cheated out of previous asl classes they took.

Those are tuition costs only, and don't include room and board or books or additional living and traveling expenses. I am assuming that you are posting costs per year?

I can tell you that I personally attend, as a graduate student, a state school, and my tuition alone is $3000 per quarter, for a grand total of 12,000 per year. Books average $400-600 a qyarter. Undergraduate tuition at this same institution is 2,000 per quarter qnd when housing and books are added in a quarter costs approximately 3500.00 for an undergrad. Assuming that they are attending 3 quarters a year, that adds up to 10,500.00 per year. I don't consider that to be inexpensive.

Lets not forget also, that the prices I listed are for nine months of college. Thats nearly 1 year of college.

You can't even goto a community college in most places for nine months on those prices. That is very cheap!!!!

Lets not forget also, that the prices I listed are for nine months of college. Thats nearly 1 year of college.

You can't even goto a community college in most places for nine months on those prices. That is very cheap!!!!

Wow..that's really cheap. I owe practically double on my student loans for going to Gallaudet and Arizona State and still paying for them. GRRR!

Wow..that's really cheap. I owe practically double on my student loans for going to Gallaudet and Arizona State and still paying for them. GRRR!

Yeah, like I previously stated, Gallaudet is expensive.

Yeah, like I previously stated, Gallaudet is expensive.

Yea...so was Arizona State University but they were both worth it. I am very happy at my job instead of working at a miserable low paying job.

Yea...so was Arizona State University but they were both worth it. I am very happy at my job instead of working at a miserable low paying job.

if you got a good paying job then you are one of the fortunate ones. Jobs are being lost all over.

if you got a good paying job then you are one of the fortunate ones. Jobs are being lost all over.

Yea, but my job can be lost in the future if deaf children are all implanted and go to oral only programs. Then, i will sit at home and collect SSDI! J/K

Yes, I feel blessed and I dont ever forget that cuz I used to work at miserable jobs where I hated going to work every day. It is not a fun way to live.

Yea, but my job can be lost in the future if deaf children are all implanted and go to oral only programs. Then, i will sit at home and collect SSDI! J/K

Yes, I feel blessed and I dont ever forget that cuz I used to work at miserable jobs where I hated going to work every day. It is not a fun way to live.

I highly doubt all deaf kids are going to be implanted. Not unless the government starts paying for it and deaf culture is eradicated.

Do u know any sign language? When i first entered Gallaudet, I wasnt fluent in ASL and ignored those who gave me a hard time about it. Eventually, things got better. There are more and more people like u going to Gallaudet...students with CIs who just learned sign language.

I can understand sign language, but I can't understand pure ASL. I'd need practice to get good at signing. There's no one around to practice with. Anyway, I'd like to meet other deaf people. It's doesn't matter whether or not I can talk. I like to meet both worlds.

Least expensive private schools:

1. National Hispanic University -- San Jose, Calif. $4,610
2. Arkansas Baptist College -- Little Rock, Ark. $5,074
3. Talladega College -- Talladega, Ala. $7,128
4. Lane College -- Jackson, Tenn. $7,176
5. Tougaloo College -- Tougaloo, Miss. $8,375
6. Judson College -- Marion, Ala. $9,420
7. Paine College -- Augusta, Ga. $9,624
8. St. Augustine College -- Raleigh, N.C. $10,388
9. Barber-Scotia College -- Concord, N.C. $10,686
10. Wesleyan College -- Macon, Ga.

Least expensive public schools:

1. University of Nevada -- Reno, Nev. $2,682
2. Florida State University -- Tallahassee, Fla. $2,890
3. San Diego State University -- San Diego $2,936
4. University of Florida -- Gainesville, Fla. $2,955
5. Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, Fla. $3,092
6. Texas A&M University -- Kingsville, Texas $3,109
7. Florida International University -- Miami $3,156
8. University of South Florida -- Tampa, Fla. $3,167
9. University of Central Florida -- Orlando, Fla. $3,180
10. University of Nevada -- Las Vegas $3,210

Top 10 priciest colleges ... and the cheapest

thats gotta be in state tuition

I'm a transfer student, do I have to take sats, act, toefl, etc. for ntid?????? I was told transfer students get junior standing defacto.
I was a transfer student from a community college to RIT. I never took the ACT, but they let me in anyway. I still had to take an assessment test to see where I placed. :)

Agreed, but tuition costs are but one part of the cost of attending post-secondary education. That is like saying rent is the only living expense for those not attending college. You must also add the other expenses that are necessary to a student, such as housing, meals, books, supplies, transportation, etc. to get a realistic estimate of what it costs to attend college.

Thats good to know. At least I and other students wont be cheated out of previous asl classes they took.

It isn't so much a matter of a transfer student being "cheated" out of credits, but that those courses that aren't allowed for transfer did not cover the same curriculum as the ones at the school to wich the student is transferring. Therefore, they are not prepared to enter in to the upper level courses for which the lower level courses were supposed to prepare them.

I was a transfer student from a community college to RIT. I never took the ACT, but they let me in anyway. I still had to take an assessment test to see where I placed. :)

Exactly. All students are required to take an assessment. If you, for instance, place in a rememdial level for math, and have already taken college algebra at another school, it is obvious that you did not get the required skills to actually do college algebra, and will therefore have to go back and pick up a rememdial course. That is, if you are not a degreed transfer student. But then, a student with a degree is not really considered to be a transfer student in the strictest sense, but a new student.

It isn't so much a matter of a transfer student being "cheated" out of credits, but that those courses that aren't allowed for transfer did not cover the same curriculum as the ones at the school to wich the student is transferring. Therefore, they are not prepared to enter in to the upper level courses for which the lower level courses were supposed to prepare them.

Any college that would not accept college level classes I already completed is not worth attending.

The act is a a college entrance examination. You are not entering college you are transferring.

Back