college course interview

ac122

Reaction score
Hi there

I am a speech pathology student. I am in an audiology course right now, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in letting me interview them. I'd like to get an idea of what is is like to live with and acquire various levels of hearing loss.

If anyone is interested I can set up some questions to post just here, or email you personally.

Thanks!

Hi there

I am a speech pathology student. I am in an audiology course right now, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in letting me interview them. I'd like to get an idea of what is is like to live with and acquire various levels of hearing loss.

If anyone is interested I can set up some questions to post just here, or email you personally.

Thanks!

Of course! We live but to serve!

Please post as many questions as you can possible devise. :)

Questions, pretty basic

I would like to know....

1. What kind of a hearing loss do you have? (conductive, sensorinerual, perhaps even the degree of loss if any of these are known)

2. At what age and by what means was this loss acquired?

3. What are the devices or other means you use to aid in your hearing and communication? (hearing aids, cochlear implants, sign language)

4. Are there any experiences you can share about your hearing loss? Good or bad

Basically... Tell me your story. Everyone has their differences. I would like to know how your hearing "loss" came to you and the emotions and experiences that you've had as a result.

I would like to know....

1. What kind of a hearing loss do you have? (conductive, sensorinerual, perhaps even the degree of loss if any of these are known)
Mixed conductive and SNHL. Severe/Profound
Genetic, and also deepened later by nerve damage from a virus.

3. What are the devices or other means you use to aid in your hearing and communication? (hearing aids, cochlear implants, sign language)
Right ear hearing aid, left doesn't want to hear anymore! :P Some sign with those who know sign.
PTSD
Basically... Tell me your story. Everyone has their differences. I would like to know how your hearing "loss" came to you and the emotions and experiences that you've had as a result.
What do emotions have to do with audiology?

Do you have pendred syndrome by any chance? I think my professor wants us to learn about what he can't teach us. I can learn all the logistics behind hearing loss- but what I want to know is how having a hearing loss, whether that be from birth or from later things in life, has shaped you. And any times you've felt anger or fear or joy from having this.

Do you have pendred syndrome by any chance? I think my professor wants us to learn about what he can't teach us. I can learn all the logistics behind hearing loss- but what I want to know is how having a hearing loss, whether that be from birth or from later things in life, has shaped you. And any times you've felt anger or fear or joy from having this.

I do not have a diagnosis of Pendred syndrome.

And people who take the time to know me, might say I have a lot of anger.

But it's kind of uncomfortable just to ask out of the blue for a group of strangers to tell you all their emotions.

Well that's why I said I would email so it isn't posted all over- but no one is forcing you to either. I'm only trying to gain some new knowledge and understanding, not be invasive.

I think it's obvious that the audiology instructor hasn't yet taught the students anything about Deaf people or Deaf culture. Either that or the instructor wants them to find out the hard way. Ouch! :giggle:

Why is this the hard way? This was my idea ha. I'm not sure how else to learn about deaf culture besides asking those who identify.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

You haven't taken any deaf culture/ deaf studies courses as part of your education ??

If not I'd suggest making a recommendation to your facaulty that they institute a deaf studies component withing the first term of studies.

Don't you just LOVE how all the professors give the same questions to the students?

I wrote the questions, they're open ended... I didn't realize this was going to turn into a mockery. Thanks for the hospitality. I retract my effort.

I wrote the questions, they're open ended... I didn't realize this was going to turn into a mockery. Thanks for the hospitality. I retract my effort.

It is a redundant topic, if you must know.

This is usually the time when the student, rebuffed by the less than inviting tones they receive, usually go into flame mode. We have seen the "What is your favorite band?" or "How can you have sex in the dark?" stuff, and many more.

It is a redundant topic, if you must know.

This is usually the time when the student, rebuffed by the less than inviting tones they receive, usually go into flame mode. We have seen the "What is your favorite band?" or "How can you have sex in the dark?" stuff, and many more.

Well I wasn't trying to be idiotic or insensitive. I feel the response has been hostile. If anyone would be kind enough to let me interview them via email id appreciate it. If not that's totally fine but there is no sense in being rude.

Nobody was trying to be rude on purpose. You are one of MANY who come to this form weekly only to ask the same type of questions, and then leave. We're tired of it. We're not guinea pigs. That was why Jolie and others created the very thread I provided a link to earlier so that you can take the time to dig through the years of research and answers already posted on this forum. Thank you.

Well, the simple thing is to not respond if you're not interested. By then they'd get the message and move on. Wouldn't want to create a new line of stereotyping that deaf people are now rude, right next to the myth that deaf people don't tip.

I read it. I shrug. And I leave.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I was serious about my comment - no insult etc intended.

I would like to know....

I'm deaf and I think that deaf ferrets should be given opportunity to learn ASL. I had a deaf friend that refused to teach her deaf ferret ASL. You can imagine how frustrating it is for deaf ferrets to be left out of hearing world.

Back