CODA speaks out against those 'inspirational stories' of Deaf hearing again with CIs

Meh. I think saying you shouldn't share these videos and celebrate that persons joy because it will make people who can't get them feel bad is kind of.......ick.

Meh. I think saying you shouldn't share these videos and celebrate that persons joy because it will make people who can't get them feel bad is kind of.......ick.

I think the point was really that society only applauds the deaf who are able to become hearing.

Not making people feel bad, but society marginalizing them.

But I don't really think a CODA needs to write it. That makes Deaf less than also. I and many others could easily write this if it was important to us.

Oh I didn't think that was the main point. There were aspects of the article I agreed with, but that part made me cringe a bit.

The hearing don't really have an understanding if how CI work, and who they can work for. But CI companies aren't putting these videos out there, the people getting them are. This isn't marketing, and it isn't education about CIs. Hearing people might come to the wrong conclusions, but I think a lot of the angst of the Deaf, is actually just their angst, that hearing people think you need to be fixed. Actually hearing people don't think about you much at all. After the video is over they're going to move on to other thoughts. That is really a Deaf perception, not a hearies.

These videos aren't for like, educating hearing people about CI, it's just this person celebration.

CODA speaks out against those 'inspirational stories' of Deaf hearing again w...

This part here

For the many, many deaf people who do not fall into one of these two camps – like my dad, for instance – the "fix" of a cochlear implant is not an option. So what do these videos say to a deaf person who does not want or cannot have the implant? They say, "this other person is healed now, but you will always be broken."

Sorry but I just don't think that's a reason not to share them.

If anything it sounds like hearies should feel bad for them, so they shouldn't rub it in their face.

I think the point was really that society only applauds the deaf who are able to become hearing.

Not making people feel bad, but society marginalizing them.

But I don't really think a CODA needs to write it. That makes Deaf less than also. I and many others could easily write this if it was important to us.

Hmmm but I'm thinking about this more and you do make an interesting point. Deaf are perfectly capable are of taking up their own battles.

I hope to be making my own activation video within the next few months so I admittedly a little biased :D

I have no delusions about my hypothetical video going viral though ;)

I hope to be making my own activation video within the next few months so I admittedly a little biased :D

I have no delusions about my hypothetical video going viral though ;)

Just be flamboyant and cry a lot. If you hug a little kid or a puppy during activation it will help.

CODA speaks out against those 'inspirational stories' of Deaf hearing again w...

If I could borrow Tardar Sauce it would for sure go viral.

I could frown and say "I heard once. It was awful"

Bam, instant internet superstar

:laugh2:

I actually took a minute to think what is Tardar Sauce? I know I saw that name somewhere but where? Then it dawned on me that I was the one that posted that Grumpy Cat's facts where it included his real name. :lol:

Yeah, for sure!

You could be a spokesperson for the anti-CI crowd. They could play the "Barney" theme song for your activation. "What is that racket? PLEASE make it stop!"

Back