cochlear implants

Smartiesgeek said:
I am totally against the idea of cochlear implants.

Babies should not be implanted in when they are baby. hearing parents just are so stupid, no offend. So, Let them to grow up and see if they want any of this, then it will be okay, than put it in the baby's head. it is just so touche to see that, stupid HEARING PARENTS who did this.

Also, I dont like when the people are trying to making it more and killing more people if they are having a problem with cochlear implants.

I think it is unnecessary to create this, dont ya all agree with me?

if you was a hearing kid all since you was born and lost ur hearing then, u can have the cochlear implants if u want, but if you're deaf and forced to have a cochlear implants. Thats make me pissed off.

If you are a deaf kid who have a cochlear implants, speak it up for yourself. Dont be a passive. Just stand up for yourself to say no to ur parents.

i am actually happy that my parents gave me a cochlear implant i dont know where id be without it! im still deaf of course but i have the benefit of hearing if i want to and i choose to i had my implant when i was 9 i may not have known what was going on at the time but i was bloody glad they went through with it!

It is one thing to allow a person to choose to use an auditory device, but i see that it is unfair to decide for any individual to have a surgery that changes their physical properties. Once a person is mature enough to decide to have a CI surgically implanted, the decision should be made. To have a parent/guardian etc.choose this for a child is ridiculous. Why should it be ok to force a person into a surgery that they may rely on for their entire life.

Once a child has become accustomed to these devices it is something that they expect to have for the rest of their life. If the device fails or does not continue to work in the same way for their entire life, then they no longer can use what they have been expected to rely on. This is totally unfair to any child or adult. If they have the choice to decide whether to use an auditory device or not then they can make that decision for themselves. It is wrong to force anyone to depend on something when naturally they are not going to have that. Children cannot make that decision. They should have the choice to decide on adapting their physical properties on their own. This should not take place unless they have been fully educated on ALL of the possibilities...positive and negative.

If a child relies on the auditory device and then it suddenly isn’t working anymore, then it is something that they have no choice but to have taken from them. These surgeries are not inexpensive. It takes money to maintain these devices and not all people are able to keep up with this. What happens when a child decides that they do not want to utilize this technology?

It is wrong to force a person to rely on something each day, when naturally they may be better off without a device being implanted into their bodies. Insurance does not cover a CI removal. If a person chooses that route then more power to them,but it is not an issue that should be decided by a person that will not have to live with it. The person that is getting a surgery of this type or any other surgery should be allowed to choose for themselves. It is something that will have impact, whether positive or negative, a person for the rest of their life.

By forcing an individual into a life altering procedure it is the same as saying you are not “good” enough the way that you were born. You must change physically for you to be accepted by the real world. Is this really the impression we want to make on deaf children.

It is a huge put down to deaf childrens true identity. People must have a choice, it is only fair! We should appreciate the differences in all people. If we were all the same, then the world would be a very boring place.

Therefore we have the right to maintain the status we were born with...people need to learn to accept that. Any adaptation that needs to be made should be made within the faultfinders, not the children. Acceptance is KEY! Need I say more?

"Tell the mothers I said, "Don't try to change your child; you are the adult, you bear the burden of change" - Harlan Lane Thats what it needs to get through your head.

Seeing as how there are more cons than pros to getting a CI, ( as such stated in other topics), It is more responsible to NOT implant a child. You dont need to hear to be alive. And if a d/Deaf child is not good enough for you then you need to reconsider your morals and prejudices. Like it, love it, or leave it alone.

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Yes I understand what you mean about it sweetmind. I just decided at late age myself because I want to hear. I just have a hard time to hear the sound when I was getting older. All my family are using oral but not really sign. I was in hearing school for 10 or 11 years. I don't remember. So CI helped me, but right now I don't wear due too much nosy. Sweetmind, can you respect my feeling about my CI please.

Sure I do since u are an adult and latened deaf that is a very good reason.

I m doing it for d/Deaf children s sake.. Please respect my wishes for those kids with all my heart.. Thats it! Whats more I was ex HA users that I quit after I finally found my true indentity and want them to deal with me first. I am NOT gonna to do it for their sakes only if you mind. They need to respect my true identity for being a very natural deaf person first. It has to be two way of streets between Hearing and Deaf. I wont do all that dirty work for them as well as they need to work with us instead of nelgect our needs and Deaf Rights. ;)

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

why do you go on and on about people having a choice or making their own individual decision than start talking out of the other side of your mouth and bash people that have decided to have a CI.

The reason is that we deafies does not appreciate a lie about ppl with CI that people thinks we are functionally hearing after all we are legally deaf all along.. Oh please! They are not honest to themselves and others because hearing people get the wrong idea about HA and CI devices that we can hear normally but NOT if you mind.

So I am asking you why do people bashing EX HA and CI users for a wrong reason? I was thinking that you are hiding something about it. So I dont appreciate people lied about functionally hearing. That what it ticks me off because I know what s it alike to hear with HA so therefore it is not gonna to make any difference for you and me. Same old behavior patterns between HA and CI devices that affects us not able to understand everything. So there!

All I know CI or HA users enjoy the music thats the only reason for them wanting to hear which I can understand it very well. However I still dont understand why would they turn up the volume higher that is not necessary. They have no respect for me while I was not wearing HA that bothers my right ear. That s the Sound itself that I dont want to bother to hear anything anymore because it s very painful for me to deal with. They are using those devices that is very annoying me with all that loudest music in the car or anywhere else. Thats consideration of being RUDE from them.

Have a good evening! ;)

Sweetmind

Last edited:
My quote:
Sure I do since u are an adult and latened deaf that is a very good reason.

I started to realize after I reread ur comment. I might be wrong about latened deaf then what is ur defination of deafness that you have? As far as I know there are different defination of deafness. So I corrected my mistake that I assumed you are latened deaf.. So is my apologize for saying it. ;)

Anyway, of course the noise pollution is a big problem that affects me and many deafies badly. Thats why I dont agree for anyone to force and have the right to do the serious damage organs on those d/Deaf children 's natural deafness. They dont know nothing about our deafness after all they failed in many ways.. Why bother to push into CI for those d/Deaf children?? It is NOT necessary at all.

Have a wonderful evening!! ;)

Sweetmind

Smartiesgeek said:
I am totally against the idea of cochlear implants.

Babies should not be implanted in when they are baby. hearing parents just are so stupid,

WOW. I guess I am one of the Stupid hearing parents. Well I really don't think so. My son was diagnosed with meningitis at 18 months old and he almost died. He lost his hearing as a result. We as parents were told about the CI and it's potential. Now you have to keep in mind we are hearing parents that have never been exposed to the deaf culture or know absolutely nothing about it. This was a very difficult decision for us. I asked for facts and statistics to help me make my decision but according to the Dr. there weren’t any. (This was over 10 years ago). For me this was a heart wrenching and very difficult decision to make and it was not taken lightly. The fact that we decided to get the implant was NOT out of stupidity. It was out of what we felt (at that time) was in the best interest of our child and the information that was available to us. As it turned out the CI didn't work for him, as it probably doesn't for many people. For those that it does work for, the benefits are obvious. That is not to slight those who are deaf.

My guess is that you are not a parent and if you are, put yourself in our shoes. Compare it to a handicap that you are not so familiar with. Lets say (god forbid) your child was in an accident and lost his/her legs and would be wheelchair bound for life. The doctors tell you they could surgically attach fake legs that may or may not give your child the ability to walk.... What would you do? You should never judge anyone but if you decide to (as you have) it's only fair to walk a mile in his or her shoes first... I don't believe you have done that. While I respect parts of your opinion, I don't necessarily agree with them and I can say that even though the CI didn't work for my child. We did what we thought was best and out of love for our child. There is nothing stupid about that.

I only hope that in this day and age of information, people are able to access factual statistics to aid in their decisions whatever they might be. I am quite sure that if only 20% of CI's have benefits, many folks would decide not to take the risk. Unfortunately, that information was not available when I was faced with the difficult decision.

Babies should not be implanted in when they are baby. hearing parents just are so stupid,

I wouldnt call the parents stupid at all but they are just ignorant and innocent people. They believe in Medical Professionals too much. That is what it ticks me off that they are disadvantage of parent s decision. All I can say they lied and cover up the negative sides of deafness all along for years that I stood up for their d/Deaf chlldren. Thats very unthoughtful and wrongdoing. They dont know nothing about our different of deafness that is not gonna to make it successful. That's the problem, they do not get full details 100 percent on both sides.. Now I am very glad to be here to educate new parents because I care for their d/Deaf children s right to freedom. ;)

I actually feel bad for the parents. You can tell Medical professionals and audiologist people stupid first before the parents.. ;) Think twice before you blame on the parent only.

Oh well, it s a real shyte happens that doesnt have to be this way on purpose for them to make the decision. Now you can see why I totally disagree with the parent who have the right decision for their d/Deaf children s deafness.

Sighs! it s totally waste the money to force on d/Deaf children s untrue identity and destroy d/Deaf children s right to freedom.

"Tell the mothers I said, "Don't try to change your child; you are the adult, you bear the burden of change" - Harlan Lane ] Thats what it needs to get through parent's head.

Thanks! ;)
Sweetmind

Last edited:
Sweetmind-

Just asking; What is the single biggest obstacle a deaf child faces in his/her infant years, when the parents are hearing and do not know any sort of visual-based language?

Just asking; What is the single biggest obstacle a deaf child faces in his/her infant years, when the parents are hearing and do not know any sort of visual-based language?

There is no obstacle. It s the parent 's duty and responsibility to learn signs for their child. Also it s their responsibility to start learning as soon as they learn their child is legally deaf. It s not do so is a form a child abuse.

It is not necessary for them to leave a child into isolation or no language from the beginning or dont wait until she/he is five years old. ASL will help a child to learn her/his adaptation of their deafness first so a child learn ABC books that helps them to use their receptive eyes and brain to be useful with the parents' help. It will help a child to have their intellectual skill to increase more and social motor skills with their hands like the rest of babies. A child will have the level of understandings in the concept of language first before they can learn how to use orally speaking as well as a child will read your lips while u are working with him/her. However, let a child use their receptive eyes and brain to be active first.

Also the parent needs a lot of patience and time/energy to spend more time with a child to teach them ABC or read a book or show the item that they can understand in sign and spelling if he/she is older enuff to know abc. It takes time and patience because it s all depend on child s individual.

When a chlid gets a little older then encourage them to read a book and play to write with all words whatever you show the picture with a word in it as much as you can give. Then you can help a child to learn how to speak at the same time with ASL that shows from word to word slowly. That would be a big difference. ;)

Thats what I would do for a deaf child every single day so therefore, I didnt treat my hearing children differently from a deaf child.. ;) It is all up to the parent who is willing to take all of their time, energy, and work hard with a child.

Use the eyes and Brain works first until a child gets older to understand a language then she will be able to learn how to use orally speaking if it helps a kid.. If not, then dont force a kid right away and give them more time.

I have to mention that my two hearing daughters are a very good reader, writer, advanced vocabulary, and were in advanced classes in school. They were a honor student for a long time.. Also my children read a book on their own at age 3. It proves me that I have worked so hard to educate my children while they were a very very young age. Also I used my hands to communciate with my babies from the start.

Smile!

Sweetmind

Last edited:
Eyeth said:
Sweetmind-

Oooo! I am very tempted to answer your question, Eyeth, but it wasn't clearly directed at me. I'm fidgeting in my seat.

Sweetmind said:
There is no obstacle. It s the parent 's duty and responsibility to learn signs for their child. Also it s their responsibility to start learning as soon as they learn their child is legally deaf. It s not do so is a form a child abuse.
Thank you for answering my question. However, expecting parents to suddenly learn a whole new language in a span of one year is unrealistic. Basically, they'll have to move to DC and work in Gally in order to achieve the desired level of ASL fluency their Deaf infant will need in growing up, and acquiring language in the critical first 5 years of his/her life.

As you implied in your posting, you're absolutely correct in the sense that active parental participation is vital in ensuring a Deaf child's success in acquiring native language proficiency. This holds true even if the Deaf child uses a HA or a CI. Active parental participation, or lack thereof, is an accurate predictor of how well a Deaf child will do in the future as far as language development is concerned.

I humbly disagree with your contention that it's a form of child abuse if parents fail to learn ASL for their Deaf children in their first year of infancy.

me_punctured said:
Oooo! I am very tempted to answer your question, Eyeth, but it wasn't clearly directed at me. I'm fidgeting in my seat.
Now, you've got me fidgeting! Sure, chime in with your response, if you must. :)

I humbly disagree with your contention that it's a form of child abuse if parents fail to learn ASL for their Deaf children in their first year of infancy.

Oh yes it s very much. Many parents dont want to bother to learn and forced their kids to speak and hear all the time which is not necessary. Too many parents were listening to a damn MEDICAL s belief that relates to the oralism. That s where the parents decided to choose oral method only for so many years.. Look around deafies are miserabled/frustrated while we all are deaf oralist all those years that we were forced by their own ways.. I have seen a lot of deafies who are strong oral speaking and have a nice english written (maybe) however they dont read it so well because they depends on ears and orally speaking. I find this is so outrageous that they cannot even read and understand the concept of English language. I noticed they take it the wrong way so many times because they simply dont understand. It is not just deaf oralist but latened deaf / hearing people too.

Go back to that topic post of Hearing Dog (I hate this term). I saw it that is very obviously. ;) That is perfect example.

Thats when I dont use my deaf voices with my children because they will have a bad speller all the time because of sounds itself that they rely on too much. I helped them to focus on spelling / each words with pictue, receptive eyes / and their brain work to be useful first. I did not teach my children to learn how to use orally speaking from the beginning. Thats why we did not have any problem to understand each other.

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

It does not have to have EARS and VOICES at all. Thats when they picked up by visual/ receptive eyes and their hands to communicate. Thats it. Learn how to speak properly later in their life when they enroll in school. No need to pressure on those d/Deaf children in early age. It s not gonna to make a big difference. Sighs!

Education comes first than having to force them into a oral method first in early age.. For pete s sake let them be a kid for once. It s more of brainwashing and memorize how to speak for those d/Deaf children. Thats nothing to do with our intellectual skills. We deafies do memory in our brain that s how we understand how to speak that we did the best we could.. No sense to force or push them harder into a orally speaking first that is not a language anyhow.

**shaking my head **

Sweetmind

For me this was a heart wrenching and very difficult decision to make and it was not taken lightly. The fact that we decided to get the implant was NOT out of stupidity. It was out of what we felt (at that time) was in the best interest of our child and the information that was available to us.
Rockdrummer, Agreed....for quite a few parents it is a very hard decision....but some parents out there absolutly MUST HAVE the latetest technology for their kid, and so do take it kind of lightly. To some of us, it does seem kind of like parents are thinking " Oh this is easier then learning Sign....Going oral only means that our child is more healthy and normal then someone who's come to terms with their kids' difference, and learned sign.....do you undy now?
Oh yes it s very much. Many parents dont want to bother to learn and forced their kids to speak and hear all the time which is not necessary. Too many parents were listening to a damn MEDICAL s belief that relates to the oralism. That s where the parents decided to choose oral method only for so many years..
Sweetmind, that is where you are WRONG! Really early intervention should NOT be methodology biased. Dhh kids should have the oppertunty to choose which language should be their first language. Not all dhh kids will be sucessful in understanding ASL. Did you know that there's a professor who has been studying deaf kids who don't undy ASL? (but who use alternative sign systems or other communication systems) ASL is NOT an cure all pancea.... Dhh kids have the RIGHT to get the WHOLE range of options to find the best fit. I do agree with the psychological impact of oralism, but you know.....most of those kids were raised on an AUDIST oralist mentality.....I know of dhh kids who started out with both speech and Sign, and who choose to SPEAK!?!?!?! I do think that if parents make their kids learn their language, that they should meet their kids halfway and learn ASL...... but being a Sign advocate doesn't mean that you need to throw the hearing aids out with the bathwater. I know of many kids who are glad they can hear and speak.....they just wish they'd ALSO been exposed to Sign and other methods, while growing up!

Sweetmind, that is where you are WRONG! Really early intervention should NOT be methodology biased. Dhh kids should have the oppertunty to choose which language should be their first language. Not all dhh kids will be sucessful in understanding ASL

Sorry I dont agree with you. You are giving a chance a d/Deaf children into a complication in many ways.. So tell me why they are not having a wonderful understanding into the concept of language from the start. That tells me they are not capable to understand the concept of English language or see a real thing in ASL.

It works for my Hearing children.. I have seen some deaf oralist are not using their hands with their hearing children.. Guess what they are struggled each other. I had to laugh because of their beliefs in oral method.. Thats their audist attitude 's thinking.

Well Who is gonna to listen to a Deaf person that has already told people ASL is the one who can make the difference and help them to understand and to be a creative thinking than using oral method that doesnt get those kids to get a light blub as usually.

Come on and wake up! For god s sake!!! Look all HOH/ d/Deaf people s English written that includes me, too all those years. They are lost as usual.

SIGN, READ, WRITE and ASL as facial expression / body language first before orally speaking..

I ll give you an example. Look at the RED ball as object. We use ASL that we ll signing RED , BALL, CIRCLE , Bounce to show the action .. then they will get it right away while we are using the facial expression, receptive eyes, and lip movement first first first that goes into their Brain system before orally speaking since we all do not hear everything with those devices.. It doesnt make a sense to force them to hear and speak first from the beginning..

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

deafdyke said:
Rockdrummer, Agreed....for quite a few parents it is a very hard decision....but some parents out there absolutly MUST HAVE the latetest technology for their kid, and so do take it kind of lightly. To some of us, it does seem kind of like parents are thinking " Oh this is easier then learning Sign....Going oral only means that our child is more healthy and normal then someone who's come to terms with their kids' difference, and learned sign.....do you undy now?

Sweetmind, that is where you are WRONG! Really early intervention should NOT be methodology biased. Dhh kids should have the oppertunty to choose which language should be their first language. Not all dhh kids will be sucessful in understanding ASL. Did you know that there's a professor who has been studying deaf kids who don't undy ASL? (but who use alternative sign systems or other communication systems) ASL is NOT an cure all pancea.... Dhh kids have the RIGHT to get the WHOLE range of options to find the best fit. I do agree with the psychological impact of oralism, but you know.....most of those kids were raised on an AUDIST oralist mentality.....I know of dhh kids who started out with both speech and Sign, and who choose to SPEAK!?!?!?! I do think that if parents make their kids learn their language, that they should meet their kids halfway and learn ASL...... but being a Sign advocate doesn't mean that you need to throw the hearing aids out with the bathwater. I know of many kids who are glad they can hear and speak.....they just wish they'd ALSO been exposed to Sign and other methods, while growing up!

Good posting! A very balanced answer to the difficulties with the whole business.

SIGNED English and AMERICAN sign language that combines into BI AND BI that will help the kids to understand it better and learn how to use orally speaking later when they get older but during the classroom, I dont agree to push those kids to speak or listen with those devices all the time while we have so many complication with all those artificial languages and forced them to speak with all those annoying deaf voices that does not make any sense for those d/Deaf chidren that parents want them to speak only at home .. SCOFFS!!!. Thats what I meant by this.. Sighs!

Look at MR.FRANK TURK, MR MATTHEW MOORE, ERNEST MARSHALL, Phillip F.. ( and other many deafies who are very deaf and dont speak that shows me they are very successful Deaf Role Model that u dont want to hear it.. Thats fact !!!!

Yea I m sure you agreed with her since u are a hearing person that I cannot argue with you because it s the same old routine behavior pattern all those years..so there!!! I am not kissing their audist attitude people's opinions as well after all they robbed my life and communication with my whole family and damaged my right ear ( dealing with all those pains every single day whlie my left ear has been left alone. I am not full ASL or ASLER all my life if you dont mind..

All I was getting tooo complication with all artificial languages relates to ORAL method and force me to read their lips and orally speaking that doesnt take me anywhere to make it work. SCoffs!! ASL helps me to understand and get me more into creative thinking in my writings AFTER I QUIT my hearing aid device. So there! it s so much different from the past 8 years until now after all that my hardwork to focus on my English written .. Thats what it shows me the fact .

Sheesh!!!!
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
Sorry I dont agree with you. You are giving a chance a d/Deaf children into a complication in many ways.. So tell me why they are not having a wonderful understanding into the concept of language from the start. That tells me they are not capable to understand the concept of English language or see a real thing in ASL.
SIGN, READ, WRITE and ASL as facial expression / body language first before orally speaking..

I ll give you an example. Look at the RED ball as object. We use ASL that we ll signing RED , BALL, CIRCLE , Bounce to show the action .. then they will get it right away while we are using the facial expression, receptive eyes, and lip movement first first first that goes into their Brain system before orally speaking since we all do not hear everything with those devices.. It doesnt make a sense to force them to hear and speak first from the beginning..

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Do you really understand verbial language development? Verbial language development is an ongoing process that requires an engagement of the brain to sounds and particularly language from the very beginning. The reason hearing children do well is that they "hear it" all the time even in the womb. Does that mean they understand language at birth? Of course not, but they need that interaction during that crucial phase to get their "language" wiring working properly. It is absolutely critical for kids to hear language during the first several years of life to even have a chance to develop decent speech capability. If I recall with my two kids and children in general, they start with the Mama and Dada bit around 1 year to 1 1/2 years old or so. Now, obviously those that are not able to hear normally, they miss a bunch of that. One can compensate by giving them HAs (and in some cases a CI) early on to allow most if not all of this development to occur.

This is not to say that other means can't be taught. By all means teach ASL and whatnot. I would say give these kids a chance to learn what works best for them. They cannot catch up later on if they are denied a chance to hear something for any verbial language development. Kids are not stupid and their brains (at no other time in life do our brains absorb as much as they do when very young) are quite capable of picking language development even while doing other means of communication. This is what DD was getting at and I agree with DD's statement.

I think where you get all worked up is over a person's identity either as a deaf or like a hearing person while very young when you don't really know what that is until their personalities and propensities are more established. Nobody can predict exactly how a person will do and often the direction that a parent takes (for better or worst) is extremely significant in a child's life.

Back